New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login364675 members (8 yesterday), private messages

cottaging.co.uk > Forums > The lounge > rock bands

See newest message in thread

rock bands

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

@private mail, +add as contact

there has no been a rock band come anywhere near Queen?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

*wertyasbo By *wertyasbo  (M)  over a year ago

Not in my opinion - in the words of American Pie,when Freddie died was the day the music died

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ollydee   premium paying member (M)  over a year ago

freddie mercury?.he died long after american pie was written.or am i missing something?.

Yeah your missing the point. Well aware that he died long after American Pie was written. I was paraphrasing the words from the song to emphasise that in my opinion the music died when he did - comprehend ?

XXX pic...
login to view

oh i see.but being older than you,i understood it reffered to buddy holly,richie valens,and the big bopper.but i see where you are coming from. comprehend?.

Well Don McClean is still alive,and American Pie was about Buddy Holly and co,and one of the best songs of my generation.

Queen and Freddie were fantastic too,leaving a prolific legacy of rock anthems as well as the wonderfully poignant songs nearing his death.

But hey guys,it's not all over! Kaiser Chiefs,Artic Monkeys,Snow Patrol,and not forgetting Paloma Faith and Adele.

Enjoy the greats and embrace the new too.

XXX pic...
login to view

queen were probably one of the best rock bands the world have ever seen,or likely to ever see again.ive seen hundreds of bands over the years from the 60s.onwards,but i was never fortunate enough to see queen.

You don't know what you missed Jollydee - saw them about 7 or 8 times first in 1973 when they were the support act for Mott the Hoople (and first thoughts were when they came on stage was " what a bunch of pratts" - until they started to play !!) right up to there very last performance at Knebworth.

Quite simply the best live band ever - and like you I've seen most.

Mind you Dolly Parton last week in Manchester was pretty good.

I agree they were the finest luve band ever. To my eternal regrett i never got to see them live as i was too young and skint when they last played together but i just had to go see them at ssec with paul rodgers as singer. Still a great luve set and the images of freddy on screen dueting with pr in bohemian rapsody brought tears to the eyes of a lit of fans.

I saw Queen at Wembley with Quo and INXS..Queen were awful..they're not a rock band they're a pop group..Led Zep are a rock band..Deep Purple are a rock band etc etc..not Queen..surley to god!

XXX pic...
login to view

saw paul rodgers and free many times.i still have all my vinyl,love my music,

"I saw Queen at Wembley with Quo and INXS..Queen were awful..they're not a rock band they're a pop group..Led Zep are a rock band..Deep Purple are a rock band etc etc..not Queen..surley to god!

"

As much as I liked Zep and Deep Purple - and saw them both - they simply were rock bands. Queen could do the whole genre of music from ballad to rock and excelled at it all.

Still if we all liked the same thing it would be a very boring world !!

Ps their performance at Live Aid showed how good they were when compared to their peers.

I'm not saying we should all like the same..indeed it would be a very strange world if we did..but the genre of music Queen once fitted into was rock..but like most bands they sell out in the end and Queen became a pop band along with a lot of others..but the band with the biggest balls at Live Aid were Quo..to walk onto a stone cold stage with the WORLD watching took a lot of guts..and a lot of marching powder and taquila!! lol

Queen played a great set at Live Aid..but so did U2..and i'm not keen on them either..also the band that could have toppled Queen that day were robbed of thier TV slot by technical problems were The Who..i was gutted when the picture went off while they were on..

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ndeeper  (M)  over a year ago

Dolly Parton is still out standing. Dont sound to bad either.

But. How can she be mentioned in this conversation.

Add a new message to this topic