New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login364668 members (4 yesterday), private messages

cottaging.co.uk > Forums > The lounge > Computers

See newest message in thread

Computers

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

@private mail, +add as contact

is there anybody within the Swindon area who knows how to upgrade a laptop from Vista to windows 7, I have purchased all the software but after reading all the gobbledi gook that came with it I was lost.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By * Zitin  (M)  over a year ago

Hi,

Back-up every single bit of data that you have on your HDD before switching OS.

Dont't even think of Win7, it's worse than Vista. Go to Linux, they don't report back to Seattle what you've been doing.

Also avoid like the plague anything from Google. They know what you are doing and they record it all.

Nothing is worse than vista...

XXX pic...
login to view
By *illanihole  (M)  over a year ago

There is something worse than vista , its called Windows 10

*ackie7579 By *ackie7579   profile verified by photo (TV/TS/CD)  over a year ago

its easy when you know, but if you don't know that where the difficulty arise. but as mentioned, copy all your current photo's, music, documents, video's and write down any passwords not forgetting the wireless password before you do anything else.

what i would do is do a complete wipe and start fresh but again if your unsure its also easy to get it wrong..

An option would be to take your pc to Curry's/ PC World and let them do it for you, or any decent computer repair shop

Avoid PC World/Currys like the plague. They are crap!!

*ordic-knight By *ordic-knight   premium paying member (M)  over a year ago

"Avoid PC World/Currys like the plague. They are crap!!"

They are very good at selling you a computer but their back-up service is useless. Try and find a local geek.

*9me! By *9me!  (M)  over a year ago

I'm on Win10 and let all the initial fuss settle down before installing. I've had no problems AT ALL!

*ackie7579 By *ackie7579   profile verified by photo (TV/TS/CD)  over a year ago

when win 10 first came out, some problems was, where to find the "close" button, it was not on the desk top, also your files was hidden and hard to find, that took me a week or so, if you linked and signed into the microsoft site for reporting issues, it locked your computer with the password without letting you know... i know its now changed for the better but i went back to win7...

XXX pic...
login to view
By *eedude   profile verified by photo (M)  over a year ago

I am on Win 7 and i find there is nothing wrong with it for what I use it for, do you still have to use MS security software for Win 10 as opposed to a third party security suit, like Avast or Arriva?

I hate the idea of a big corporation telling you what you must do

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ewcocol  (M)  over a year ago

If you put your own choice of antivirus on W10 then the built in antivirus steps back and is deactivated.

Microsoft learnt that lesson with Internet Explorer and the massive fines they got over that clusterfuck.

Add a new message to this topic