New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login364851 members (7 yesterday), private messages

cottaging.co.uk > Forums > The lounge > The Scottish problem

See newest message in thread

The Scottish problem

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

@private mail, +add as contact

Rather than a referendum within Scotland to determine whether they stay in or leave the UK, shouldn't it be a referendum within the rest of the UK as to whether we want the sponging jocks to continue bleeding us dry?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

"Rather than a referendum within Scotland to determine whether they stay in or leave the UK, shouldn't it be a referendum within the rest of the UK as to whether we want the sponging jocks to continue bleeding us dry?"

As a descendant of a Scottish blood line, up yours, ya crabbit.

By *heshire baldie  (M)  over a year ago

I think we should give them another referendum, once we are out of Europe.

Nah, only joking, you keep what you conquer despite the noise

"Rather than a referendum within Scotland to determine whether they stay in or leave the UK, shouldn't it be a referendum within the rest of the UK as to whether we want the sponging jocks to continue bleeding us dry?"

Can't beat a nice bit of xenophobia … awa' an bile yer heed

Just like the English. "We love Britain but not Scotland or Wales, just England."

By *eeksYounger  (M)  over a year ago

"Just like the English. "We love Britain but not Scotland or Wales, just England.""

Except, of course, when there's a war on. Then the Scots are more than welcome to lay down their lives for England!

"Just like the English. "We love Britain but not Scotland or Wales, just England."

Except, of course, when there's a war on. Then the Scots are more than welcome to lay down their lives for England!"

True. The Scottish regiments have lead some of the most heroic actions in our long history and what other country would have a soldier like Mad Jack.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *addylovescock  (M)  over a year ago

Scotland has had some of the most bravest men and woman in history our units has always been used as cannon fodder

I'm all for independence it's time our country fought for itself

"Scotland has had some of the most bravest men and woman in history our units has always been used as cannon fodder

I'm all for independence it's time our country fought for itself "

Conner Fodder I dont think so, no its was only because the sight of some raggedy arsed hairy Scotsman coming over the hill squeezing the feck out of a animal skin used to scare any enemy

"Just like the English. "We love Britain but not Scotland or Wales, just England."

Except, of course, when there's a war on. Then the Scots are more than welcome to lay down their lives for England!"

Yet you are not laying down yours.

Except, of course, when there's a war on. Then the Scots are more than welcome to lay down their lives for England!

Yet you are not laying down yours."

I dont know of many Scots or Welsh who have laid down their lives voluntarily for England, they might have done the the UK

*essa_M By  *essa_M    profile verified by photo premium paying member (TV/TS/CD)  over a year ago

Heard all these arguments before. Giving the rest of Britain or indeed the UK of GB and NI a vote on Scottish independence, is akin to giving the other 27 countries of the EU the right to decide the UK’s membership. Self-determination is exactly that, the right to choose your own future and direction. Oh and BTW England never conquered Scotland not once they may have won a few battles but they also received a few bloody noses and where sent on their way.

England came to Scotland cap in hand with loads of English gold so they could buy a king not a kingdom. But one thing that has always puzzled me about the Scottish independence thing, and whether the UK government should grant permission for Scotland to make the decision on independence from the rest of the UK. We have things like the Barnet formula that tells us Scotland is such a burden on the rest of the UK and England in particular. We seem to have this myth in England about winging Jocks (god have you ever heard the English abroad?). But if Scotland is such a financial burden and such a bad neighbour Why is England and the rest of the UK so desperate to hang on to it

The British army shud be sent up to Scotland to crush the Scots.

All SNP MPs shud be jailed in the Tower of London for treason.

England bank rolls n rules Scotland.

They wudnt be able to afford toilet paper to wipe their asses without English taxes bailing them out.

" But if Scotland is such a financial burden and such a bad neighbour Why is England and the rest of the UK so desperate to hang on to it

"

If the truth be known, I reckon few can see the value in having Scotland attached to "the country" ... you can probably say the same for Wales and N.Ireland. In terms of gdp, what do they bring to the party? Hence why devolution was so easily obtained. No, the only reason the politicians state they want these countries to remain under the UK banner, is because they don't want it to happen on their watch, just in case something comes out of the woodwork to bite their arses. Put it another way, if these three "countries" were independent, would they survive financially?? ...... would they hell as like. So cut the nationalistic crap, and just say a big "thank you" to little old England for keeping you afloat all these years.

By *eeksYounger  (M)  over a year ago

Yet you are not laying down yours.

I dont know of many Scots or Welsh who have laid down their lives voluntarily for England, they might have done the the UK"

You won't know them . . . they are dead!

This thing about the laying down of lives. Are you saying that if you had been independent countries, you would have sided with the Kaiser, or Hitler? Of course you wouldn't, so you would still have provided regiments for the allied cause, and your men would still have died.

*essa_M By  *essa_M    profile verified by photo premium paying member (TV/TS/CD)  over a year ago

" But if Scotland is such a financial burden and such a bad neighbour Why is England and the rest of the UK so desperate to hang on to it

If the truth be known, I reckon few can see the value in having Scotland attached to "the country" ... you can probably say the same for Wales and N.Ireland. In terms of gdp, what do they bring to the party? Hence why devolution was so easily obtained. No, the only reason the politicians state they want these countries to remain under the UK banner, is because they don't want it to happen on their watch, just in case something comes out of the woodwork to bite their arses. Put it another way, if these three "countries" were independent, would they survive financially?? ...... would they hell as like. So cut the nationalistic crap, and just say a big "thank you" to little old England for keeping you afloat all these years."

Living and working as I do in little old England I’m happy to take my earning off of whom ever can afford my talents. Probably why I own a European company, English taxes and taxpayers don’t support me or my employees. However we make a substantial contribution to the pot.

Devolution wasn’t so easily obtained, and indeed it has many forms throughout the UK and Northern Ireland. No two are in fact the same. However devolution is not independence and honestly anyone who thinks the separate countries of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland couldn’t stand on their own is deluding themselves. No one is saying they wouldn’t struggle in the early days but hey short term pain, for long term gain is something I have heard consistently over the last couple of years.

Are you honestly arguing that those politicians who were happy to promise the earth along with the Moon and Mars in a referendum a couple of years ago are scared to call Scotland’s bluff? Come on!

Scotland is a nation rich in resources not just oil although they are still developing fields but minerals, water, power, people, and talent. They also have an attitude that bodes well for the future they are prepared to work for what they want. An attitude that some in little Old England should really take on board.

The question has not been answered why dear old altruistic England is so determined to hold on to those lost remnants of empire that really don’t want to be there anymore. What is it that makes the English know best, what’s good for others? Please tell me one good reason for not teaching those rebellious Scots a lesson they won’t easily forget by making them stand on their own two feet and living in the real world

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ewcocol  (M)  over a year ago

So let me get this clear Caravaggio. you ask why shouldn't the rest have a say in how the future of Scotland is determined. But as a vocal UKIPer you are vehemently opposed to the rest of European Community having a say in how the future of the United Kingdom is determined. Have I got that right?

Both the EU and the U.K are artificial unions of land and people so why the contradiction?

Explain how Scotland, for example, could stand on it's own two feet. If you deign to answer, it will make interesting reading.

*ordic-knight By *ordic-knight   premium paying member (M)  over a year ago

"The British army shud be sent up to Scotland to crush the Scots.

All SNP MPs shud be jailed in the Tower of London for treason.

England bank rolls n rules Scotland.

They wudnt be able to afford toilet paper to wipe their asses without English taxes bailing them out."

I take it you are not holidaying in The Trossachs this year.

"So let me get this clear Caravaggio. you ask why shouldn't the rest have a say in how the future of Scotland is determined. But as a vocal UKIPer you are vehemently opposed to the rest of European Community having a say in how the future of the United Kingdom is determined. Have I got that right?

Both the EU and the U.K are artificial unions of land and people so why the contradiction? "

Read your own post again, and explain to me how it makes sense ..

"So let me get this clear Caravaggio. you ask why shouldn't the rest have a say in how the future of Scotland is determined. But as a vocal UKIPer you are vehemently opposed to the rest of European Community having a say in how the future of the United Kingdom is determined. Have I got that right?

Both the EU and the U.K are artificial unions of land and people so why the contradiction? Read your own post again, and explain to me how it makes sense .. "

What you're failing to recognise in my op is the irony concerning the Scottish assuming that the English want to keep them.

XXX pic...
login to view

Mr C, if the post asking how to explain Scotland standing on it's own was directed to me, I haven't expressed any view on whether I feel the union should be preserved or not. What my view on the Scottish question is is immaterial. My question was about the apparent contradiction between your OP and your previously well aired views.

*indsey bear By *indsey bear  (M)  over a year ago

Both the EU and the U.K are artificial unions of land and people so why the contradiction? "

My thoughts entirely.

I also worry more for England in the event of Scottish independence.

WHY?????? .......

"Mr C, if the post asking how to explain Scotland standing on it's own was directed to me, I haven't expressed any view on whether I feel the union should be preserved or not. What my view on the Scottish question is is immaterial. My question was about the apparent contradiction between your OP and your previously well aired views. "

My well aired views as you call them, couldn't have been all that well aired, as you certainly didn't understand them. UKIP achieved their purpose, now they have no purpose. I wanted out of the EU, primarily for cultural reasons. I want to be English, not European. So how is that at odds with my stance for the Union as a whole to be disbanded? I would say its completely in line with my EU stance. Call me a little Englander if you will, but that's how I feel, England for the English and to hell with any form of globalisation, that's what has got the world into this mess.

XXX pic...
login to view

We most certainly would be a littler England once we have lost approximately 25% of our population after jettisoning Scotland, Wales and N Ireland, and then removing all the immigrants. Now I appreciate that you didn't, in so many words, say that is what you want, but I find it hard to take "England for the English in any other way.

What we have seen over the last weekend in the U.S is a consequence of America for Americans and with the ultra right wing philosophy of the current administration they have been emboldened.

What has never been addressed by those echoing such sentiments here is how do we continue to be a nation with any significant place in the modern world while we exhibit an attitude of isolationism towards any people different from ourselves. It appears to me, and forgive me if I'm wrong here, that we cannot justifiably have a voice in the wider world if we show such antipathy towards other cultures.

Before you or anyone else starts on about multiculturism that is not what I am saying. I don't disagree with those that say multiculturism does not work, because humans are pattern seeking animals who will always strive to keep the patterns of life they have grown up in, and where possible try to extend that way of life as much as possible. But to disband institutions such as the U.K or even the EU is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Lurching from one to the other without a great deal of thought, talk and consideration is not going to work.

I believe that the long term consequences of breaking the union, whether that is the EU or the UK will only start to become apparent after both you and I are no longer around to see it. You only need to look at history to see how long consequences can take to become apparent. The Sykes-Picot agreement that redrew the Middle East after WW1 lasted until the conflicts that resulted in the state of Israel coming into being in 1948.

XXX pic...
login to view

I must have hit delete because my final sentence got wiped. the last bit was intended to read

The Sykes-Picot agreement that redrew the Middle East after WW1 lasted until the conflicts that resulted in the state of Israel coming into being in 1948. And have never stopped since then.

By *riginaldogger  (M)  over a year ago

you'll never take my neeps and tatties

XXX pic...
login to view

I'm not Scottish but you will have to tear that haggis from my cold dead hands.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *8teenyroldbttmslut  (M)  over a year ago

That being said didn't Winston Churchill once say in a book he would be happy to have Hitler as his leader I think he did and that was in response to the welsh nationalist maybe look at yourself in the mirror and you will understand why us Scottish dislike the English mentality I'm not saying they dislike English people a lot are nice people and the country is a beautiful country its that inbreed notion the English have that there better than us like there shit don't stink even the British national anthem is anti Scottish and us Scots are ment to bow our heads and sing that hell the fuck not for one I don't regard the royal family as my ruler and two why would any scot proudly sing a song that tells of crushing us we are supposed to be a united kingdom at the end of the day

XXX pic...
login to view
By *8teenyroldbttmslut  (M)  over a year ago

You say you wanted out EU for cultural reasons you wanted to be English not European well maybe the Scots who want independence want just that to be Scottish not English

XXX pic...
login to view

The dreams of faded Empire live on in people who weren't even born when there was an empire. Sad isn't it!

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ee willy   profile verified by photo (M)  over a year ago

Oh come on, at least get it right, scots are Scottish, the welsh are well welsh,the English are English, But we are all British.

And we should all be justly proud......

"You say you wanted out EU for cultural reasons you wanted to be English not European well maybe the Scots who want independence want just that to be Scottish not English "

and I agree with you, you muppet! ..

"We most certainly would be a littler England once we have lost approximately 25% of our population after jettisoning Scotland, Wales and N Ireland, and then removing all the immigrants. Now I appreciate that you didn't, in so many words, say that is what you want, but I find it hard to take "England for the English in any other way.

What we have seen over the last weekend in the U.S is a consequence of America for Americans and with the ultra right wing philosophy of the current administration they have been emboldened.

What has never been addressed by those echoing such sentiments here is how do we continue to be a nation with any significant place in the modern world while we exhibit an attitude of isolationism towards any people different from ourselves. It appears to me, and forgive me if I'm wrong here, that we cannot justifiably have a voice in the wider world if we show such antipathy towards other cultures.

Before you or anyone else starts on about multiculturism that is not what I am saying. I don't disagree with those that say multiculturism does not work, because humans are pattern seeking animals who will always strive to keep the patterns of life they have grown up in, and where possible try to extend that way of life as much as possible. But to disband institutions such as the U.K or even the EU is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Lurching from one to the other without a great deal of thought, talk and consideration is not going to work.

I believe that the long term consequences of breaking the union, whether that is the EU or the UK will only start to become apparent after both you and I are no longer around to see it. You only need to look at history to see how long consequences can take to become apparent. The Sykes-Picot agreement that redrew the Middle East after WW1 lasted until the conflicts that resulted in the state of Israel coming into being in 1948. "

You understand me perfectly. The shit world we live in can only be cleansed of the globalisation germ by a period of national rationalisations. America for the Americans ..... that's so great, its so beautiful, its going to be very beautiful. England for the English ..... French for the French .... and so on. Countries have lost the ability, indeed the desire, to stand on their own two feet. We can feed ourselves, we can clothe ourselves, we can build our own shelters, we have the technology to power ourselves, we have the knowledge to use different and new material sources ........ but it won't happen. Forget global warming as this planet's greatest threat, the human race eating itself will bring about our destruction long before the sun does.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *addylovescock  (M)  over a year ago

I agree _ee willy apart from when you go abroad and you get tard with the same brush witch is a big bug barrer of mine they hear your voice and say a your English and I always tell them no I'm Scottish and then there attitude towards you changes for the better explains a lot

XXX pic...
login to view

Well forgive me for not being emotionally attached to lumps of rock and soil. Forgive me for not feeling a special kinship with people who were born in the same geographic area as myself. Nationalities and population groups have largely come about by one group seizing and holding those lumps of rock, mainly at the point of a sword or musket barrel.

Overwhelming evidence supports the scientific discoveries made over many years, and by many discrete studies, that we homo sapiens evolved from the African savanna. Historically and genetically we are all one people.

It would be interesting to know Mr C how the percentages of DNA in your "English" body would be biologically classed as identical to sub Saharan African or English.

Oops silly me, there is no such thing as English DNA.

"Well forgive me for not being emotionally attached to lumps of rock and soil. Forgive me for not feeling a special kinship with people who were born in the same geographic area as myself. Nationalities and population groups have largely come about by one group seizing and holding those lumps of rock, mainly at the point of a sword or musket barrel.

Overwhelming evidence supports the scientific discoveries made over many years, and by many discrete studies, that we homo sapiens evolved from the African savanna. Historically and genetically we are all one people.

It would be interesting to know Mr C how the percentages of DNA in your "English" body would be biologically classed as identical to sub Saharan African or English.

Oops silly me, there is no such thing as English DNA. "

Yeah ... but not in the last thirty years! That's not evolution, that's feckin invasion!!!!..

XXX pic...
login to view

But it was fine when Redcoats took far less than thirty years to take over and colonise other people's homelands. I would hazard a guess that lots of Indians or Africans would, if they could hear you crying, be saying "Now you know how it felt"

By *optank  (M)  over a year ago

www.groupofwinggingoldwomen.com

"But it was fine when Redcoats took far less than thirty years to take over and colonise other people's homelands. I would hazard a guess that lots of Indians or Africans would, if they could hear you crying, be saying "Now you know how it felt""

We subjugated others by force, and they had a chance to fight back, and often did. The invasion we're suffering from now has been an insidious affair with no legal recourse to defend against it.

By *arry101  (M)  over a year ago

There have been 1358 Victoria Crosses awarded.Of these 164 awarded to Scottish soldiers.Which is a magnificent example of the bravery of fine Scottish men.The Irish have won 195 though!

XXX pic...
login to view

"But it was fine when Redcoats took far less than thirty years to take over and colonise other people's homelands. I would hazard a guess that lots of Indians or Africans would, if they could hear you crying, be saying "Now you know how it felt"

We subjugated others by force, and they had a chance to fight back, and often did. The invasion we're suffering from now has been an insidious affair with no legal recourse to defend against it. "

Violence legitimises taking possession. Interesting point of view.

I never said it was a legitimate thing to do, I was merely pointing out that those we subjugated had the opportunity to defend themselves. We cannot do so against these massive waves of immigration, that in effect will eventually subjugate the British. Indeed, its a stated aim within the Qur'an, to subjugate the world.

"

Violence legitimises taking possession. Interesting point of view. "

Why is it interesting? How many invasions have not ended up with the invaders becoming the legitimate possessors of that land?

XXX pic...
login to view

Since the forming of the U.N invasion and aggression by one country against another has never been regarded as legitimate. Argentine/Falklands, Iraq/Kuwait are just two relavant examples, and currently the Russia Crimea situation has left Russia subject to international sanctions. What was the historic norm is no longer.

You may look back to the past with nostalgia to recall the British concentration camps in the Boer war, but you are in a very small minority. Future generations will carry on repudiating the seizing of other lands and the number of people who see otherwise will become an even smaller minority.

Picture the scene in years to come when a future caravaggio will lean over his garden gate, look back on this time and mutter the immortal words "Even nostalgia isn't what it used to be."

XXX pic...
login to view
By *2014   profile verified by photo (M)  over a year ago

'That's so great, its so beautiful, its going to be very beautiful.' Excellent, you've really nailed the accent

XXX pic...
login to view

'Small is beautiful' someone once said.

Small minded, however, is not

By *efifebifun  (M)  over a year ago

"The shit world we live in can only be cleansed of the globalisation germ by a period of national rationalisations"

Anyone that had thought about the world we live in would realise that nationalism is not how you counter globalisation.

Next time you wave a plastic flag of England, have a look where it was made.

Next time you spend a tenner, have a think about where the materials came from to make it.

Next time you mop up a sticky load, have a think where your tissues were manufactured.

Does anyone honestly think that globalisation is going to stop if you remove the people that share the same resources we all do?

By *HIOG  (M)  over a year ago

Throughout my life I have seen the Brits refrain from any accusations of the Scots being mean, tight, miserable, inebriated, surly, freckly or ginger or mention the fact they dont like us Brits. I have never seen the Scots reciprocate this generosity.

Scots/generous? C'mon, they make a Yorkshireman look like a philanthropist on speed!

""The shit world we live in can only be cleansed of the globalisation germ by a period of national rationalisations"

Anyone that had thought about the world we live in would realise that nationalism is not how you counter globalisation.

Next time you wave a plastic flag of England, have a look where it was made.

Next time you spend a tenner, have a think about where the materials came from to make it.

Next time you mop up a sticky load, have a think where your tissues were manufactured.

Does anyone honestly think that globalisation is going to stop if you remove the people that share the same resources we all do? "

What has globalisation got to do with nationalism? Globalisation refers to commerce. Limiting the size of companies, by law, is the way to beat globalisation. Business runs the world now, not the governments of countries, irrespective of the size of the country, and that cannot be right, as it makes democracy progressively more meaningless. Sure, you can vote for a politician, but that politician is only ever going to work within the confines of big businesses requirements. So, in essence, we are all living under dictatorships.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *onsterBlast  (M)  over a year ago

Tessa M, there's no such thing as a 'European Company'. Companies are registered in the country of their Registered Office and you pay your teaxes in that country. The EU doesn't register companies.

*etropolis By *etropolis   profile verified by photo (M)  over a year ago

Funny how the Scots in this forum all seem to live in England.

"Funny how the Scots in this forum all seem to live in England."

So probably born there so still scots

By *rQuiet  (M)  over a year ago

Importtant news form Scotland. They are building two new whisky distilleries.

"Importtant news form Scotland. They are building two new whisky distilleries."

good scotch whisky is best

I went to hotel in the highlands and asked for a tartan room and got both

Have their still got their freeeeeedom

By *amekeeper  (M)  over a year ago

If we are going to talk about Scottish claims to independence (which I'm in favour of) then they really need to be thinking about returning the land they stole from the kingdom of Northumbria.

see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Northumbria

By *amekeeper  (M)  over a year ago

If we are going to talk about Scottish claims to independence (which I'm in favour of) then they really need to be thinking about returning the land they stole from the kingdom of Northumbria.

see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Northumbria

By *rogg  (M)  over a year ago

let Nicola wear the trousers, but keep the men in kilts

Awa' and bile yer heid

Sometimes I like a whisky and other times I like a whiskey.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *sunamiwarrior   profile verified by photo (M)  over a year ago

"Sometimes I like a whisky and other times I like a whiskey."

I like a whisky when in Scotland and a Whiskey when in Ireland and the rest of the time a Brandy is fine

The media has a lot to do with this anti English thing.It's a bloody lie that us Scots hate you.I live in Edinburgh and am a born and bred Edinbugger.I have only came across a few English hating halfwits in my entire 53 years on this planet.The REAL reason that 40 plus percent of people want to split is the worrying aspect that England isn't very 'British' anymore.When the national news is on and the shots from school classes show that there is maybe only one kid in the class that is ethnically british, it scares the shit out of people up here in that's what's in store for you too.That's the real reason..like it or not, it's what people REALLY think.I have also noticed this city's English population increase by at least 100% over the last 10 years as they relocate from the southeast for a so called better quality of life.It's not until you get to know some of them and make friends they tell you the real truth.Almost always the same answer.I live in a common stair of 4 flats and the other 3 flats are all English people and they have never had anyone give them a hard time for being English.2 of them have lived here for well over 15 years!Time to stop the shit stirring Caravaggio

Maybe its the Sottish element that live down here that get you a bad press. Always going on and on and on, about how much better all things Scottish are. I cannot help but ask them why they're living down here, then. I wonder how many would relocate if Scotland did regain its independence?

..... and finally, a shit stirrer, moi?? ..

XXX pic...
login to view

I do a lot of work in Scotland and stay there for weeks at a time and never had a problem with anyone being unfriendly.

I often stay at the Royal Terrace Hotel in Edinburgh where the suites are named after whiskies and you get a complimentary bottle of the whisky corresponding to your room.

I have noticed a shortage of bagpipe players.

Well the stupidity works both ways.I have been on the other end of anti Scottish sentiment whilst at work.Drunken English tourists calling me a Scottish so and so but you know what???? The media is controlled down south and they just don't report those things.We are kind of hardy up here and ignore it like it should be.I have and will NOT hold the actions of those despicable people responsible tarnish the image of the majority of good people in England.

Can't blame the media. Scots are a surly race.

Unfortunately for you sassenachs, you didn't conquer in the end the English crown was taken by James VI of Scotland in 1648 without a word of anger never mind conquered. Then the act of union in 1707 so get it right and stop your whinging

Unfortunately for you sassenachs, you didn't conquer in the end the English crown was taken by James VI of Scotland in 1648 without a word of anger never mind conquered. Then the act of union in 1707 so get it right and stop your whinging

XXX pic...
login to view
By *.London   profile verified by photo (M)  over a year ago

Umm, if Edward I hadn't used the accidental death of Alexander III to manouevre himself into position as de facto ruler of Scotland, why did William Wallace need to lead the rebellion aainst him?

Scotland has been conquered by the English...

"Unfortunately for you sassenachs, you didn't conquer in the end the English crown was taken by James VI of Scotland in 1648 without a word of anger never mind conquered. Then the act of union in 1707 so get it right and stop your whinging"

Speaking of getting things right James VI of Scotland was offered the English crown in 1603 on the death of Elizabeth I and the extinction of the Tudor dynasty. Although there were a few plots against him [Most notable the Gunpowder Plot] it was a peaceful succession. By 1648 James had been dead for 23 years.

"Can't blame the media. Scots are a surly race. "

Race?

Racially we are very similar if you take away the recent arrivals after WW2. I myself am 2/3 rds Celtic and 1/3 English.Surly?Almost the opposite and racially you could split Scotland in half from East to west.The largest amount of Anglo Saxon/Nordic genes are to be found on the east coast with a much higher proportion of Irish(Celtic)peoples on the west side.Particularly in the Greater Glasgow conurbation.This is equally the case if you think of the eastern side of England compared to the west.It's like the stereotypical crap that southerners tarnish all liverpudlians as thieves and Mancunians as northern trash.So yes..It IS the media who love to play one against the other..it sells papers and keeps those maggots in work.

You could easily be pedantic about the use of the word race, how many scots that would include, and the definitions of the description of race itself but my post was deliberately simplistic in it's meaning and would be understood by everyone so not really a problem.

You point out that you believe all southerners tarnish others undeservedly? I think you have a bee in your bonnet about something haha!

Scots were depicted as surly and tight as long as I can remember and definitely not from the media. I think that is how visitors found them to be.

I also take you point that they are becoming diluted now which explains the disappearance of so many freckles and ginger hair.

"Can't blame the media. Scots are a surly race. "

What?! How can you come out with such ridiculous stereotyping? I'm English, and went to university in Aberdeen, have worked in Scotland, Norway, India, and England, and I've probably come across the same percentage of surly people in all four countries as well as of happy-go-lucky/sarcastic/anxious/solemn/chirpy/rude/polite /ne'er-do-well/hard-working/bone-idle/mischievous /lackadaisical/shy/pig-headed/obnoxious/nice (etc., etc.) people.

XXX pic...
login to view

A little bit of irony. a guy going by the name of Forth-wright denying being surly.

forthright

(of a person or their manner or speech) direct and outspoken

XXX pic...
login to view

"happy-go-lucky/sarcastic/anxious/solemn/chirpy/rude/polite /ne'er-do-well/hard-working/bone-idle/mischievous /lackadaisical/shy/pig-headed/obnoxious/nice"

OMG you've just described me lol.

By *holes4u  (M)  over a year ago

The only Scottish problem I come across whenever I'm up there is whether to buy Scottish pineapple tarts or their snowballs. Then they really fucked me up by making a raspberry version of the pineapple tarts.

""happy-go-lucky/sarcastic/anxious/solemn/chirpy/rude/polite /ne'er-do-well/hard-working/bone-idle/mischievous /lackadaisical/shy/pig-headed/obnoxious/nice"

OMG you've just described me lol.

"

There are pills you can take, I believe...

"Can't blame the media. Scots are a surly race.

What?! How can you come out with such ridiculous stereotyping? I'm English, and went to university in Aberdeen, have worked in Scotland, Norway, India, and England, and I've probably come across the same percentage of surly people in all four countries as well as of happy-go-lucky/sarcastic/anxious/solemn/chirpy/rude/polite /ne'er-do-well/hard-working/bone-idle/mischievous /lackadaisical/shy/pig-headed/obnoxious/nice (etc., etc.) people. "

Exactly.Stop me on the street here in Edinburgh and ask for directions and I'll gladly walk you to your destination and so will everybody I know.Try doing that in London and if your lucky you'll get,"buy a fucking map".Try going into a bar through in Glasgow and keep yourself to yourself?You'll be befriended in a matter of minutes by strangers through there.No matter where your from but as I said before..they'll have you brainwashed that all Glaswegians do is give you a 'Glasgow kiss".It does exist but the ones who do it generally keep it to themselves.

I love visiting Glasgow, along with Aberdeen, Liverpool, and Newcastle, because of the friendliness of the people and the idiosyncratic sense of humour in each place.

And the accents!

And Edinburgh is special because of good friends living there, and the whole cultural vibe.

I have traveled and worked around Scotland and being English by birth the only animosity I have noticed and then only slightly and possibly sarcasticly is between the East and West coasts and of course the Higlanders.

Like any stereotype some play up to it and some (mostly yanks) are that ignorant they actually believe all Scots wear kilts and play the bagpipes. If the scots had voted for leaving the UK I think they would have been in the same sorry state we are over Brexit.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *restonbottom  (M)  over a year ago

Cant be doing with the Scottish. Nation of freeloading, ungrateful scroungers.

I tend to find those people who have these preconceived ideas about different races ect have never usually travelled more than a 50 mile radius from where they reside.They should come up to Edinburgh and Scotland an find out just why my city is the second most visited in the UK after London and why people return(And some never go back)time after time.BTW the weather isn't that awfull up here at all.The sunshine hours are comparable to Greenwich in London(don't believe me?Check out the Met office statistics)Where I live in Dunbar which is half an hours drive from central Edinburgh it's one of the sunniest places in the whole of the UK.When it's a sweltering 90 degrees in summer in the southeast corner, it's usually a pleasant 75 up here.And in winter when it's 32f here and 36 or even 50f down south ,neither of us are hardly going out sunbathing.So..life up here in so called arctic jockland is

fantastic.I go hiking in the central and western highlands once a week and occasionally canoeing and when the snow falls I switch from hiking to skiing which the nearest resort is just over a few hours away.Just keep pushing the surly Scots bit and the wasters that we all are and I'll keep our little secret quiet about my wonderfull life I lead...oops!I've let the cat out of the bag now.

I'll think you'll find the exact same response from people down south who "if it wasn't for the city of London',You'd be very poor indeed in your northern towns.Apart from being one of the most depressing split English/Muslim towns iI have ever had the misfortune of visiting.In what way does Preston contribute to the wider economy?The cost in benefits must surely outweigh that overall.

The Welsh can be just as bad at hating the Brits!

"The Welsh can be just as bad at hating the Brits! "

Most of it is banter and only really feels intense during rugby and football internationals. I am not Welsh but have lived in Wales on and off a good deal of my adult life and never experienced any problems and the only animosity I have encountered has come from a tiny minority of dunderheads with extremely low IQs.

Yes, dunderheads such as Prestonbottom above with his ignorant and stupid remark about the Scots. I'd love to think that it was just banter or that he is just a wind-up merchant, but I can't see his profile so I'm assuming he is just as I have characterised his remark.

I hope all my comments about the Scots and Welsh were taken as banter.

My dear fruiends mikkjel, what Prsetonbottom forgets is that there are free loaders everywhere, not just in the United Kingdom as a whole but in the rest of the world.

He can insult me as a Scot as much as he likes, we are exceptionally strong mentally and a few words from a nobody does not harm me or my fellow Scots.

Excellent.

I'm guessing he's not from Prestonpans...

"Cant be doing with the Scottish. Nation of freeloading, ungrateful scroungers. "

Very different to how I've found them. In my experience the Scots are hard workers. They are also well known pioneers and have been involved in a good many enterprises throughout the world. Don't judge them all on the poisoned dwarf Wee Nicola or the smug Alex Salmon or the lacklustre Gordon Brown.

*ndyhants1 By *ndyhants1  (M)  over a year ago

Yeah I agree. The Scottish leader is very singular of purpose. I lived and worked in Scotland for a number of years and found them far from scroungers or ungrateful. Lovely people. Some of my best friends are from there and one lives VERY near to Prestonpans LOL

By *rQuiet  (M)  over a year ago

"Cant be doing with the Scottish. Nation of freeloading, ungrateful scroungers.

Very different to how I've found them. In my experience the Scots are hard workers. They are also well known pioneers and have been involved in a good many enterprises throughout the world. Don't judge them all on the poisoned dwarf Wee Nicola or the smug Alex Salmon or the lacklustre Gordon Brown."

But many do judge the Scots by those high profile characters.

The demographics of most "civilised" countries have increased, especially in the last 60 years. The demographic curve for Scotland in that period, is alarmingly flat. So, I would ask this. If Scotland is so fuckin' great, why are people leaving in droves? My theory is that Scottish people are like the Jewish nation. Apart from having very deep pockets, the vast majority don't live in their homeland. How many millions of Scots are scattered all over the world?

*ld man small cock By *ld man small cock  (M)  over a year ago

May have some problem with leader Sturgeon

"The demographics of most "civilised" countries have increased, especially in the last 60 years. The demographic curve for Scotland in that period, is alarmingly flat. So, I would ask this. If Scotland is so fuckin' great, why are people leaving in droves? My theory is that Scottish people are like the Jewish nation. Apart from having very deep pockets, the vast majority don't live in their homeland. How many millions of Scots are scattered all over the world?"

The Diaspora is very similar to that of the English peoples all over the world in percentage terms.In fact the population overall has increased in Scotland over the past through years due primarily to a large influx of eastern Europeans.There countries most Scots/English people emigrate to are ones with better opportunities that suit their needs.ie USA,Canada,Australia.Caravaggio..do a bit research before you spout off the typical garbage rants.Even the not to be truly trusted Wikipedia would be a start.'Scottish Diaspora',''English Diaspora".Do a bit of calculations and you'll find there as just as many people fleeing England.

"You could easily be pedantic about the use of the word race, how many scots that would include, and the definitions of the description of race itself but my post was deliberately simplistic in it's meaning and would be understood by everyone so not really a problem.

You point out that you believe all southerners tarnish others undeservedly? I think you have a bee in your bonnet about something haha!

Scots were depicted as surly and tight as long as I can remember and definitely not from the media. I think that is how visitors found them to be.

I also take you point that they are becoming diluted now which explains the disappearance of so many freckles and ginger hair. "

The actual roots of the Scottish being 'TIGHT' go back to Scottish traders who sold their goods during the period of the Hanseatic league to the German speaking areas around then Danzig(Now Gdansk in Poland).They sold them so cheap that the term"Schottenpreise"(Scottish price)Entered the German vocabulary.We therefore got lumped with the term as ruthless traders and this reputation spread all over Europe.It is still very common to this day to see 'Schottenpreis'in German department stores when they have a sale on.At then end of the day,I'm far from feeling offended and don't have any bee's in my bonnet.I'd rather keep them in my sporran so if anyone tried to get my pennies then they'd really get stung by this Jock!

XXX pic...
login to view

Must do wonders for your sex life.

"The demographics of most "civilised" countries have increased, especially in the last 60 years. The demographic curve for Scotland in that period, is alarmingly flat. So, I would ask this. If Scotland is so fuckin' great, why are people leaving in droves? My theory is that Scottish people are like the Jewish nation. Apart from having very deep pockets, the vast majority don't live in their homeland. How many millions of Scots are scattered all over the world?"

"If Scotland is so fuckin' great..."

What is the point of your use of "fuckin'"? Do you realise what it tells the rest of us about the sort of person you are?

"The demographics of most "civilised" countries have increased, especially in the last 60 years. The demographic curve for Scotland in that period, is alarmingly flat. So, I would ask this. If Scotland is so fuckin' great, why are people leaving in droves? My theory is that Scottish people are like the Jewish nation. Apart from having very deep pockets, the vast majority don't live in their homeland. How many millions of Scots are scattered all over the world?

What is the point of your use of "fuckin'"? Do you realise what it tells the rest of us about the sort of person you are? "

You have no idea of the type of person I am, and if you're the type of person who decides what someone is like by the language they use, then errr .... have a go at Stephen Fry .... what sort of person do you reckon he is? His every other word is a profanity. Duke of Edingburgh? ... I have it from several sources at Balmoral that his everyday language is fruity, to say the least .... what sort of a person is he? .... so looking forward to this reply ...

XXX pic...
login to view

And don't forget Miriam Margolyes, who's language is somewhat colourful.

As I'm prompted to say quite often "If it was good enough for Shakespeare then it's good enough for me."

XXX pic...
login to view
By *an375  (M)  over a year ago

Shakespeare should be put in room 101 . And never be talked about again .

"And don't forget Miriam Margolyes, who's language is somewhat colourful.

As I'm prompted to say quite often "If it was good enough for Shakespeare then it's good enough for me.""

Did Shakespeare use it? Can't say I ever noticed but perhaps all the plays I've watched have been censored. Even if he did I would imagine he would use it in its correct descriptive sense and not as a profanity.

XXX pic...
login to view

Fuck is one of the most versatile words in the English language. It can be used as a verb, as an adverb, as a noun, and as an adjective. And that is on top of using it as an exclamation.

I mean profanity generally, not the word fuck specifically in Shakespeare, as in Twelfth Night

“these be her very c’s, her u’s, and her t’s, and thus she makes her great p’s” (with the word and pronounced as 'n)

XXX pic...
login to view

"The demographics of most "civilised" countries have increased, especially in the last 60 years. The demographic curve for Scotland in that period, is alarmingly flat. So, I would ask this. If Scotland is so fuckin' great, why are people leaving in droves? My theory is that Scottish people are like the Jewish nation. Apart from having very deep pockets, the vast majority don't live in their homeland. How many millions of Scots are scattered all over the world?

What is the point of your use of "fuckin'"? Do you realise what it tells the rest of us about the sort of person you are?

You have no idea of the type of person I am, and if you're the type of person who decides what someone is like by the language they use, then errr .... have a go at Stephen Fry .... what sort of person do you reckon he is? His every other word is a profanity. Duke of Edingburgh? ... I have it from several sources at Balmoral that his everyday language is fruity, to say the least .... what sort of a person is he? .... so looking forward to this reply ... "

I think we all judge others by the language they use even if most of the time we do so subconsciously. Language including profanities can so accurately reflect so much about a person.

Generally speaking almost everyone I have met who uses regular profanities interspersed in all their conversations have been fairly ignorant and not particularly well educated but of course there are plenty of people who swear occasionally or use the odd profanity to be a little more descriptive just because they want to!

You have no idea of the type of person I am, and if you're the type of person who decides what someone is like by the language they use, then errr .... have a go at Stephen Fry .... what sort of person do you reckon he is? His every other word is a profanity. Duke of Edingburgh? ... I have it from several sources at Balmoral that his everyday language is fruity, to say the least .... what sort of a person is he? .... so looking forward to this reply ...

I think we all judge others by the language they use even if most of the time we do so subconsciously. Language including profanities can so accurately reflect so much about a person.

Generally speaking almost everyone I have met who uses regular profanities interspersed in all their conversations have been fairly ignorant and not particularly well educated but of course there are plenty of people who swear occasionally or use the odd profanity to be a little more descriptive just because they want to!

"

You need to get out more .. I tend to swear when I wish to emphasise a point, although I wouldn't do so unless in front of people I knew. I believe this forum to be an informal chat between "friends", therefore profanities are allowed, thereby enriching the conversation no end ..

"

You need to get out more .. I tend to swear when I wish to emphasise a point, although I wouldn't do so unless in front of people I knew. I believe this forum to be an informal chat between "friends", therefore profanities are allowed, thereby enriching the conversation no end .. "

I can see where you are coming from. I can swear as well, if not better, than anyone but it has to be in the right place and at the right time. If I use it in this forum it is to describe a sexual act not to empathise a point. I can use plenty of other more appropriate words for that.

XXX pic...
login to view

You need to get out more .. I tend to swear when I wish to emphasise a point, although I wouldn't do so unless in front of people I knew. I believe this forum to be an informal chat between "friends", therefore profanities are allowed, thereby enriching the conversation no end .. "

-

LOL. I thought I had just said more or less the same as you! get out more indeed

You have no idea of the type of person I am, and if you're the type of person who decides what someone is like by the language they use, then errr .... have a go at Stephen Fry .... what sort of person do you reckon he is? His every other word is a profanity. Duke of Edingburgh? ... I have it from several sources at Balmoral that his everyday language is fruity, to say the least .... what sort of a person is he? .... so looking forward to this reply ... "

As with everyone on here we can get an idea of other people on this site only from their posts. Generally I just get the impression from the way you sometimes express your opinions about the world, the universe, and everything that I would not get on with you in that real world beyond this site: just my feeling - I'm sure others will feel quite the opposite, and spring to your defence.

As with everyone on here we can get an idea of other people on this site only from their posts. Generally I just get the impression from the way you sometimes express your opinions about the world, the universe, and everything that I would not get on with you in that real world beyond this site: just my feeling - I'm sure others will feel quite the opposite, and spring to your defence. "

That, dear boy, is your prerogative ..... or should I say fuckin' prerogative, just to cheer you up and make you feel smug ... Of course we don't get on with everyone. I'm sure I read somewhere that we form an opinion of someone within 15 seconds of meeting, and that opinion tends to stick for a hefty percentage of cases. How many times have you said to yourself, "I don't like him/her, but I don't know why".

XXX pic...
login to view

Have to disagree with you on that one Mr M.In prose as in life the occasional fuck doesn't do any harm. If someone is at it all the time thought that's bad for them and off putting for everyone else.

Can make something seem informal, matey as opposed to vulgar but its a fine judgement.

Steve Martin and David Warner in the file 'Man with two brains' Clean family fun until near the end, then a sudden close up of Martin and he says " I cant fuck a gorilla" Had me rolling on the floor, just the set up and then the use of that word. Would'nt have worked without it.

By *efifebifun  (M)  over a year ago

I quite enjoyed reading this thread, especially the last few bits about the use of 'fuckin'' in a sentence and what people are supposed to draw from it.

Google 'phatic communication'...it might help you all put the odd swear word into perspective.

Think of the architect on a building site scenario. He never swears in his office or in front of his colleagues but face to face with a foreman, he adjusts his language to be more accepting among that group.

Given that people on this thread aren't well known to each other and that there are probably very mixed backgrounds, I'd say it's a bit ignorant to draw any conclusions about a person based on the use of one word.

Posted 14 weeks ago what planet you living on we know some people can be a bit slow but FFS.

Just for the record, it's the context of 'fuckin' that I objected to, if people would read more carefully what I wrote in its context; it's the xenophobic "If Scotland is so fuckin great....".

I went to university in Scotland, have worked there, have lifelong friends from there, and visit it frequently. I dislike the occasional attacks on Scotland and the Scots from ignorant Little Englanders. Okay?

"I quite enjoyed reading this thread, especially the last few bits about the use of 'fuckin'' in a sentence and what people are supposed to draw from it.

Google 'phatic communication'...it might help you all put the odd swear word into perspective.

Think of the architect on a building site scenario. He never swears in his office or in front of his colleagues but face to face with a foreman, he adjusts his language to be more accepting among that group.

Given that people on this thread aren't well known to each other and that there are probably very mixed backgrounds, I'd say it's a bit ignorant to draw any conclusions about a person based on the use of one word. "

For the record, I have drawn my conclusions about the person to whom I was reacting based on quite a few of his posts, not on one fucking word...

*ndy251 By *ndy251  (M)  over a year ago

Really pisses me off my great-grandfather and mother came to England as he couldn't work in the shipyards in Scotland as he was Catholic my other great grandmother came from Wales for work the other families came from Germany and Scotland. I am third generation English. I consider myself English even though of my heritage. People spout off before putting their brains con motion. they should check first where they come from. The UK is a melting pot of races.

"Tessa M, there's no such thing as a 'European Company'. Companies are registered in the country of their Registered Office and you pay your teaxes in that country. The EU doesn't register companies."

Technically you are correct. My company is registered in England so that makes it a UK company. However its client base is all over Europe not just within the EU. It has a dot EU domain. It has also set up a new company registration in Spain and is considering a move of its base of operations there. If that happens then I guess the UK workforce will have a choice move or collect redundancy. Of course you will obviously know that any redundancy pay offs are recoverable through employers national Insurance. So it won’t cost my company much to move, but at least the UK government helps pay any staff payoffs

XXX pic...
login to view
By *lexistakesit  (TV/TS/CD)  over a year ago

of course the English want to keep Scotland just so the can plunder resources from Scotland to provide overpopulated under resourced England with power gas and water and food never mind the billions from the whisky oil forestry electronics fishing and ship building export duties that go to the treasury in London Scotland is 1/3 of the uk land mass with 8% of the uk population yet is the third most prosperous part of the uk after the city of London and the south east of England and of course when Scotland becomes independent we might sell you some water or we might stand back and watch you all die of thirst

XXX pic...
login to view
By *H23   profile verified by photo (M)  over a year ago

"of course the English want to keep Scotland just so the can plunder resources from Scotland to provide overpopulated under resourced England with power gas and water and food never mind the billions from the whisky oil forestry electronics fishing and ship building export duties that go to the treasury in London Scotland is 1/3 of the uk land mass with 8% of the uk population yet is the third most prosperous part of the uk after the city of London and the south east of England and of course when Scotland becomes independent we might sell you some water or we might stand back and watch you all die of thirst "

XXX pic...
login to view

"of course the English want to keep Scotland just so the can plunder resources from Scotland to provide overpopulated under resourced England with power gas and water and food never mind the billions from the whisky oil forestry electronics fishing and ship building export duties that go to the treasury in London Scotland is 1/3 of the uk land mass with 8% of the uk population yet is the third most prosperous part of the uk after the city of London and the south east of England and of course when Scotland becomes independent we might sell you some water or we might stand back and watch you all die of thirst "

I think we’ll be ok, after we’ve made you pay back everything we’ve invested, lol

If everything you say here is true then I am surprised that the Scots didn't vote for independence by a landslide.

XXX pic...
login to view

"of course the English want to keep Scotland just so the can plunder resources from Scotland to provide overpopulated under resourced England with power gas and water and food never mind the billions from the whisky oil forestry electronics fishing and ship building export duties that go to the treasury in London Scotland is 1/3 of the uk land mass with 8% of the uk population yet is the third most prosperous part of the uk after the city of London and the south east of England and of course when Scotland becomes independent we might sell you some water or we might stand back and watch you all die of thirst

If everything you say here is true then I am surprised that the Scots didn't vote for independence by a landslide."

The ordinary Scot knows he’s better off as part of the U.K.

XXX pic...
login to view

The Scots often like to haver methinks!

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ollydee  (M)  over a year ago

Let wee Jimmy Krankie have her independence stop all money from England and I mean ALL money and leave them to it.

XXX pic...
login to view

I see wee Jimmy Krankie is still trying to throw a spanner in the works, when will she realise no one gives a flying fuck what she says, even the Scots hate her, brexit is happening and you can only hope the mint rocks get independence.

By *ickurw7  (M)  over a year ago

Haha, I thought I was the only one who thinks she looks like Jimmy Krankie. Still, shame she's not leading the bloody Labour Party in England. At least she has the balls to lead and stand up for what matters. Corbyn's a great leader in 1970!

Light blue touch paper and stand well back...

XXX pic...
login to view

When I see her gremlin face I just expect her to shout fandabbydozy, just think she is a joke, she still insists the Scots want independence and join the EU. Deluded dreamer.

XXX pic...
login to view

yes stop all the money from England but also stop all the money from Scotland to England and yes I wish you would leave us to it why does England not let Scotland go if its such a drain on your resources remember more money goes to London than goes to Scotland wales and northern Ireland put together remember the biggest money earner the uk has after the city of London is the whisky industry

XXX pic...
login to view

the scots haver you never heard of a place called 10 downing street now that a house of fucking self-centred delusional lying hypocritical pocket filling arsewipes

XXX pic...
login to view

yes please ah but in not your prerogative to give Scotland its independence is it England is not the united kingdom just a part of it though you'd think by your arrogant behaviour that you still rule the world little England says it all

XXX pic...
login to view

do you think the English love Terisa may and that clown boorish Johnson yes ive spelt it incorrectly

XXX pic...
login to view

and the sensible English man knows that England needs Scotland too yes it be tough in Scotland do you think England would be a land of milk and honey without the contributions Scotland makes

XXX pic...
login to view

pay you back for what you've invested sure we could do that after you've repaid the trillions of pounds for all oil that you stole from Scottish waters and which kept this country afloat unless of course your suggesting that oil found in the north around Scotland's coasts belongs to to England

XXX pic...
login to view
By *cousedpw   profile verified by photo (M)  over a year ago

"pay you back for what you've invested sure we could do that after you've repaid the trillions of pounds for all oil that you stole from Scottish waters and which kept this country afloat unless of course your suggesting that oil found in the north around Scotland's coasts belongs to to England "

Is it Yorkshire in Scotland that you live or Yortkshire in England?

Where did you earn your living? England or Scotland?

The Union is an unequal partnership, with England subsidisig the other countries.

Take note, go solo and you will be a nonentity.

Having read his 5 or 6 posts I'm totally confused as to which side our friend Alexis is on

XXX pic...
login to view

"Having read his 5 or 6 posts I'm totally confused as to which side our friend Alexis is on "

I think he’s anti Scottish

XXX pic...
login to view
By  *ountain    profile verified by photo premium paying member (M)  over a year ago

The oil in the north sea belongs to the dolphins.

"pay you back for what you've invested sure we could do that after you've repaid the trillions of pounds for all oil that you stole from Scottish waters and which kept this country afloat unless of course your suggesting that oil found in the north around Scotland's coasts belongs to to England "

The waters round Scotland are British waters and whilst you could argue that most of the oil fields are off the coast of Scotland, most of the gas fields are off the coast of England. Doesn't Scotland use gas?

"The oil in the north sea belongs to the dolphins."

The oil isn't in the sea, it's in the rocks beneath. I don't think dolphins can swim through rock.

XXX pic...
login to view

yes Scotland uses gas which it produces in sufficient quantity for domestic use remember Scotland has only a tiny population and doesn't need the huge amounts that England does and yes most of the oil fields are in Scottish waters though the government in London tried to move the nautical border so that it could claim all the Scottish oilfields were in English waters prior to the last referendum instead of jutting out at 90 degrees from the Scottish coast they tried to move it so it almost ran due north from the border thus negating Scotland's claim to there territorial waters and said resources and that bloody idiotic minister in the home office who said that the area around the nuclear submarine base at faslane should be regarded as sovereign English territory and that the scots don't have asay in the matter thus removing the need to move the subs to England more bloody phantasy from those idiots in London and if you would like to read the minuets of the house of commons you'll find its all in there you just need to look at what is happening in parliament today to understand what arseholes are in charge

XXX pic...
login to view
By *cousedpw   profile verified by photo (M)  over a year ago

"yes Scotland uses gas which it produces in sufficient quantity for domestic use remember Scotland has only a tiny population and doesn't need the huge amounts that England does and yes most of the oil fields are in Scottish waters though the government in London tried to move the nautical border so that it could claim all the Scottish oilfields were in English waters prior to the last referendum instead of jutting out at 90 degrees from the Scottish coast they tried to move it so it almost ran due north from the border thus negating Scotland's claim to there territorial waters and said resources and that bloody idiotic minister in the home office who said that the area around the nuclear submarine base at faslane should be regarded as sovereign English territory and that the scots don't have asay in the matter thus removing the need to move the subs to England more bloody phantasy from those idiots in London and if you would like to read the minuets of the house of commons you'll find its all in there you just need to look at what is happening in parliament today to understand what arseholes are in charge"

The person that changed the borders of sovereign waters was the Scottish Tony Blair!!!!!!

If you are going to call people idiots, please at least learn how to spell fantasy.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *arconi  (M)  over a year ago

No doubt there will be a call from someone calling for a referendum on independence for Scotland.

Is it not time that we south of the boarder had a referendum. The question on the ballot paper, Do we want you?

"yes Scotland uses gas which it produces in sufficient quantity for domestic use remember Scotland has only a tiny population and doesn't need the huge amounts that England does and yes most of the oil fields are in Scottish waters though the government in London tried to move the nautical border so that it could claim all the Scottish oilfields were in English waters prior to the last referendum instead of jutting out at 90 degrees from the Scottish coast they tried to move it so it almost ran due north from the border thus negating Scotland's claim to there territorial waters and said resources and that bloody idiotic minister in the home office who said that the area around the nuclear submarine base at faslane should be regarded as sovereign English territory and that the scots don't have asay in the matter thus removing the need to move the subs to England more bloody phantasy from those idiots in London and if you would like to read the minuets of the house of commons you'll find its all in there you just need to look at what is happening in parliament today to understand what arseholes are in charge

The person that changed the borders of sovereign waters was the Scottish Tony Blair!!!!!!

If you are going to call people idiots, please at least learn how to spell fantasy."

Too busy dancing a Minuet rather than a Gay Gordon

XXX pic...
login to view

mmmmmmm last time the referendum was held I seem to think that it was under David Cameron and the Tories or have I got that wrong

"mmmmmmm last time the referendum was held I seem to think that it was under David Cameron and the Tories or have I got that wrong

"

It was. Or at least a Conservative led coalition and at the behest of the SNP Scottish government

XXX pic...
login to view

yes it was at the request of the Scottish government and it was a tory government who refused to sanction another one how long do you think the government in London can deny the people of Scotland the same democratic self determination that they claim to be protecting and reclaiming of sovereignty by withdrawing the uk from Europe

So you think that Scotland should perhaps have annual referendums until they get the right result. If that was the case then surely David Cameron would have insisted on more EU referendums until we agreed to stay part of Europe/

The thing is can you or Ms Sturgeon guarantee the result of another Scottish referendum? What if it gave the same result as last time? Nothing is a foregone conclusion.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ister Pfister   profile verified by photo (M)  over a year ago

Can't wait till someone asks to have their "ass" rated in the politics forum

XXX pic...
login to view

Give them independence today, lets see how they go on. Stop all money from England with immediate effect, be vey interesting indeed.

"Give them independence today, lets see how they go on. Stop all money from England with immediate effect, be vey interesting indeed."

Agreed, and the first thing that needs to be stopped is the Barnett Formula that sees bucket-loads of our money shovelled over the border. They want independence? Fine, but that MUST include financial independence as well.

By *arry101  (M)  over a year ago

"Give them independence today, lets see how they go on. Stop all money from England with immediate effect, be vey interesting indeed.

Agreed, and the first thing that needs to be stopped is the Barnett Formula that sees bucket-loads of our money shovelled over the border. They want independence? Fine, but that MUST include financial independence as well."

Damn right it should. I have Scottish lineage but am fed up supporting the Jocks

XXX pic...
login to view

England has been supporting the mint rocks since they kicked their arses and defeated them centuries ago, the simple fact is Scotland could not sustain itself as an independent country, wee jimmy krankie wants independence but wants to keep sterling currency, I wonder why?. She seems to think the EU. would welcome them with open arms, deluded little person.

Unless they discover a gold or diamond mine in the Cairngorns an independent Scotland would struggle to survive. Even that hobgoblin wee Nicola knows that. Why else is she so keen on staying in the EU? So basically Scottish independence would mean no more that throwing off the 'yoke' of Westminster and adopting the 'yoke' of Brussels. Independence in name only. Of course she could describe herself as a world leader instead of a provincial one. Edinburgh could be full of new embassies and no doubt Scotland would have a seat somewhere at the back of the UN. They could adopt their own foreign policy but it would be closely linked to that of the UK and the EU. Also they would have there own army, navy and airforce minus the nuclear deterrent which would not help on the jobs front. Scots are already paying higher taxes than the rest of the UK since a certain amount of tax raising powers have been handed over to Holyrood. I could see them getting even higher. So independence is hardly going to affect or improve the lives of the average person. So I still cannot see the majority of canny Scots rushing to get this independence fantasy.

By *pheliaBalls  (M)  over a year ago

"Rather than a referendum within Scotland to determine whether they stay in or leave the UK, shouldn't it be a referendum within the rest of the UK as to whether we want the sponging jocks to continue bleeding us dry?

Can't beat a nice bit of xenophobia … awa' an bile yer heed"

Shouldn't that be DEEP FRY your head

That woman is obsessed with being the first to take Scotland into independence bet she's a real tyrant at home, ok if they want independance and leave the UK albeit but not get one penny from the Brut government, they couldn't possibly survive on their own it common seance once north sea oil and gas fizzle out in about pyre or so what will they do then rely on tourism , I love Scotland and its people, and visit regularly but fear what Nicola is leading them into

I wonder if an Independent Scotland would want to keep HMNB Clyde at Faslane. I seem to remember wee Jimmy Krankie saying shed want to close it down. Doesn't the stupid woman realise how many Scottish jobs rely on that base?

XXX pic...
login to view
By *oondog   profile verified by photo (M)  over a year ago

I think the lady in question probably does but the political symbolism of closing the base will far exceed any economic fallout for her party.

What people fail to recognise is that Scotland is divided about the English, probably to the same degree that England is divided about Brexit.

There will never be an economically independent Scotland but the goal is more political and fiscal independence paid for by the UK as a whole.

XXX pic...
login to view

GOOD EVENING just to inform you there is a operational gold mine not far from crainlarich

XXX pic...
login to view

do you really think that all Scotland has is gas and oil whisky account for 40% of the united kingdoms exports plus Scotland produces all the post boxes at a factory in Falkirk has done for almost 2 centuries now

"do you really think that all Scotland has is gas and oil whisky account for 40% of the united kingdoms exports plus Scotland produces all the post boxes at a factory in Falkirk has done for almost 2 centuries now "

Post Boxes are hardly a bulk product that will keep Scotland in the manner to which it's become accustomed! Besides, there are still plenty of foundries in England that could produce them.

XXX pic...
login to view

lol your wrong if a foundry made them in England they'd be breaking international patents law unless you advocate little England going down the Chinese route and pirating every thing

XXX pic...
login to view

last time I looked Scotland was part of the u k please tell me why Scotland can never be financially independent look at Denmark lot smaller than Scotland both in geographical terms and population and natural resources

small nations do not need nuclear submarine or huge armed forces or the bloated public services just look at England 43 police forces good knows how many fire brigade areas their are plus all the separate ambulance providers all having very well paid jobs for the boys Scotland 1 police force 1 fire service 1 ambulance service and of course dont forget there are more pensioners in England than the entire Scottish population so Scotland doesent need the billions that England needs

"last time I looked Scotland was part of the u k please tell me why Scotland can never be financially independent look at Denmark lot smaller than Scotland both in geographical terms and population and natural resources

small nations do not need nuclear submarine or huge armed forces or the bloated public services just look at England 43 police forces good knows how many fire brigade areas their are plus all the separate ambulance providers all having very well paid jobs for the boys Scotland 1 police force 1 fire service 1 ambulance service and of course dont forget there are more pensioners in England than the entire Scottish population so Scotland doesent need the billions that England needs "

Well if Scotland ever gets independence then hopefully you can say goodbye to the Barnett Formula that's skewed in Scotland's favour. We'll see how you manage then with just the income from Scottish taxpayers!

While I'm no supporter of Scottish Independence it does have it's positive aspects. At least we will be rid of the 56 SNP MPs that currently make a nuisance of themselves in our Parliament, and based on their recent behaviour that can't be a bad thing!

"While I'm no supporter of Scottish Independence it does have it's positive aspects. At least we will be rid of the 56 SNP MPs that currently make a nuisance of themselves in our Parliament, and based on their recent behaviour that can't be a bad thing!"

I believe that the one good thing to come out of the 2017 general election was that the number of SNP MPs was reduced from a staggering 56 to a more modest 35.

"While I'm no supporter of Scottish Independence it does have it's positive aspects. At least we will be rid of the 56 SNP MPs that currently make a nuisance of themselves in our Parliament, and based on their recent behaviour that can't be a bad thing!

I believe that the one good thing to come out of the 2017 general election was that the number of SNP MPs was reduced from a staggering 56 to a more modest 35."

That's still 35 too many!

"While I'm no supporter of Scottish Independence it does have it's positive aspects. At least we will be rid of the 56 SNP MPs that currently make a nuisance of themselves in our Parliament, and based on their recent behaviour that can't be a bad thing!

I believe that the one good thing to come out of the 2017 general election was that the number of SNP MPs was reduced from a staggering 56 to a more modest 35.

That's still 35 too many! "

Exactly

By *pheliaBalls  (M)  over a year ago

"Scotland manufactures all the post boxes."

And that statement alone sums up the best arguement for Scotland being independent? Really???

Most people never use a post box other than 4 times a year to pay various utility bills and once a year for Christmas cards.

And what about Scotlands other major exports, WHISKY and PORRIDGE?

*t one fell swoop By *t one fell swoop  (M)  over a year ago

Maybe this should be under Politics? Just an idea...

XXX pic...
login to view

excuse me its not your parliament little Englander its the parliament of the united kingdom of great Britain not just England and as for making a nuisance of themselves thats their job MP aren't there just to sit and look pretty their there to represent their electors

"excuse me its not your parliament little Englander its the parliament of the united kingdom of great Britain not just England and as for making a nuisance of themselves thats their job MP aren't there just to sit and look pretty their there to represent their electors "

But it will be OUR Parliament if you lot get the Independence that some of you obviously crave, and then we WILL be rid of the SNP cabal.

"excuse me its not your parliament little Englander its the parliament of the united kingdom of great Britain not just England and as for making a nuisance of themselves that's their job MP aren't there just to sit and look pretty their there to represent their electors "

That's quite funny. Unless I am wrong [for which I would apologise unreservedly] I believe it was you, on another thread, grumbling that you could not vote in the Scottish referendum. Wouldn't that make you a little Scotlander?

No one is saying that whilst this remains a United Kingdom, that the 59 Scottish MPs do not have a right to sit in the Westminster parliament. We would just rather that they were normal politicians and not members of Wee Nicola's gang.