New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login365016 members (5 yesterday), private messages

cottaging.co.uk > Forums > The lounge > Drink Driving*: Time to review the law

See newest message in thread

Drink Driving*: Time to review the law

*oner4u2suck By *oner4u2suck  (M)  over a year ago

@private mail, +add as contact

If found guilty ban a min of 3 years

If over 55mg of alcohol in a 100ml sample of breath: jail

*Mobile phones ban min 12 months or other electrical devices

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I think there should be a zero tolerance for drink driving or mobile phone use when driving. have a drink do not drive full stop never mind 35mg how about zero. If caught you should have your car crushed and banned for 5 years.

Mobile phone users should be banned for 2 years.

We should be going a lot further than that. The only alcohol in the blood should be simply as nature intended. Its so easy. If you're going to drive, don't drink ANY alcohol. If you cannot manage that, then you have a problem. I think its ridiculous that British social life revolves around alcohol. Why do you have to be drugged in order to enjoy yourself? We are a nation of social misfits.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ewcocol  (M)  over a year ago

Except for the high percentage who are anti-social misfits.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ockpleaser  (M)  over a year ago

I agree zero is the only acceptable limit for driving.

I get dismayed when I see posts about people driving in women's clothing or naked. I realise it's a buzz but I've no doubt your judgement is impaired when you are significantly aroused and any antics on the road are dangerous. Who wants a horny lunatic in charge of several tons of hurtling metal or even distracting a driver of a 42 ton truck?

The road is not the place for it, sorry!

Same with mobiles, no need at all to be holding them in your hand when driving.

"I agree zero is the only acceptable limit for driving.

I get dismayed when I see posts about people driving in women's clothing or naked. I realise it's a buzz but I've no doubt your judgement is impaired when you are significantly aroused and any antics on the road are dangerous. Who wants a horny lunatic in charge of several tons of hurtling metal or even distracting a driver of a 42 ton truck?

The road is not the place for it, sorry!

Same with mobiles, no need at all to be holding them in your hand when driving."

Absolutely agree 100%

XXX pic...
login to view

My rule of thumb with phones and missed calls, and not just when driving. If it was important they'll phone back, if it wasn't you didn't need to answer it in the first place.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *restonbottom  (M)  over a year ago

I think the drink drive limit should be ZERO. Any alcohol and you can't drive. Anyone found guilty should receive a mandatory LIFETIME ban. Perhaps that would deter people from being so selfish and irresponsible.

Reason I made this thread a stupid woman nearly wrote of my 40th birthday present whilst on the phone!

The amount of swear words one gave must have been a world record!

XXX pic...
login to view

Well if your rant is about her being on the phone why the drink driving part? Was she drunk as well, or phoning to order a drink for when she got to the pub?

"Well if your rant is about her being on the phone why the drink driving part? Was she drunk as well, or phoning to order a drink for when she got to the pub? "

The thread is general regarding various aspects of illegal driving and one's take.

Equally could consider no insurance, licence, MOT!

XXX pic...
login to view
By *edesi  (M)  over a year ago

"Well if your rant is about her being on the phone why the drink driving part? Was she drunk as well, or phoning to order a drink for when she got to the pub?

The thread is general regarding various aspects of illegal driving and one's take.

Equally could consider no insurance, licence, MOT!

"

How about people who buy a license from over seas and can't drive but are on the road. Any body drive around s e London must know what's its like

By *rQuiet  (M)  over a year ago

I would like to see a zero limit for alcohol but like most things in life the reality is not as simple as the sound bites.

If we adopted a zero limit, we wouldn't be the first country to do so. Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Brazil, Brunei, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Romania, Slovakia, plus all the dry countries where they probably chop your head off if you're caught driving whilst pissed ....

*ordic-knight By *ordic-knight   premium paying member (M)  over a year ago

I do wonder how many of you who advocate zero alcohol limits and stiffer penalties for using a mobile phone when driving, have never driven after having had a drink or been tempted to answer that pesky mobile whilst at the wheel. I confess I have done both but in the distant past. Haven't touch alcohol for years and my mobile is switched off when driving.

I still see people using their mobiles whilst driving in country lanes and I know some who think they are safe to drive after one or two pints. At least with zero people would know where they stand.

I would hazard a guess that most on here of a certain age have done both. However, I'd hope that most of us have learnt the error of our ways.

By *rQuiet  (M)  over a year ago

"I do wonder how many of you who advocate zero alcohol limits and stiffer penalties for using a mobile phone when driving, have never driven after having had a drink or been tempted to answer that pesky mobile whilst at the wheel. I confess I have done both but in the distant past. Haven't touch alcohol for years and my mobile is switched off when driving.

I still see people using their mobiles whilst driving in country lanes and I know some who think they are safe to drive after one or two pints. At least with zero people would know where they stand."

One of the dangers for those who drink would be knowing when their alcohol content returned to zero. I doubt anyone could confidently drink in the evening after work if he was driving the following morning.

I don't see why the drink-drive law as it stands needs changing. If it is then most people who have had a drink the night before will be over the limit the next morning and will face losing their licence if tested.

By *oland butter  (M)  over a year ago

having read the mainly sensible comments here

I can only add

-`keep death of the roads-drive on the pavement`

little doubt that I will be pilloried for this one.!!!!

ta,

R.B

It would be sensible just to ban alcohol altogether such as is happening with smoking

"It would be sensible just to ban alcohol altogether such as is happening with smoking "

I tuned my radio once whilst driving shall we ban radios altogether.....

All these people who moan about mobile phones yet fiddle with their sat nav, chat to passengers, eat , smoke (especially lighting cigarrettes) drink, all distractions.

Again phones are an easy target to earn money. The offence was being distracted while driving (in a nutshell not legalese) they decided to pick on phones as they can be easily seen.

I can only speak from a personal point of view, but I find even speaking on the phone hands free, to be very distracting. I find I have to concentrate much more on the telephone conversation than when chatting with a passenger, and this detracts from my driving abilities. I don't bother connecting the hands free anymore. When I smoked, that never distracted me, similarly, eating a sandwich doesn't, either. Mind you, my cars are automatic, so no left hand needed for gear changing. I suppose, if you wanted to go down the logical route that certain people wish you to take, then changing gear is a hazard, as they seem to think that two hands on the wheel at all times is a pre-requisite.

I think you probably hold a sandwich when eating it for longer than it takes you to change gear. But then again, you probably manage a sandwich in one.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *umpyourcum  (M)  over a year ago

what about drugs as well.. people smoking weed.. thats got to affect judgement.. ban them right off.

*etropolis By *etropolis   profile verified by photo (M)  over a year ago

I've noticed that far more women use their phones when driving than men. Next time you're in a queue of traffic, you're almost guaranteed to see women looking down and not noticing that the traffic in front has moved on.

As for alcohol, the limit is there after much research. It is the people who go over it who cause the majority of problems. If you were to make the limit zero, then no-one whould be able to have a drink with dinner, or go to the pub and drive to work the next morning. There would be no country pubs where there is no public transport.

The problem isn't the law, it's the people who break it. The penalties should be much tougher.

I lived in Norway for several years. Very strict laws, with confiscation of vehicles and an automatic prison sentence. (Both the king's brothers-in-law were inside for a month.) You just didn't risk drinking and driving.

By *ajor mistake  (M)  over a year ago

Alcohol, there should be a zero limit,if you want a drink don't drive, get a taxi, or use public transport,penalty should be a mandatoty 10 year ban and have t resit your test if you decide you need to drive again, Driving whilst disqualified, your car gets crushed no excuses,

Phones, Mobiles, even on hands free is a distraction , if your busy talking crap to your friend, your not concentrating on the road, i have seem many people busy shouting at the phone and go in the back of someone at the lights, because talking to their friends was more important to them than watching the road,

i would ban the use of phones unless the car was stationary and engine turned off, some kind of shielding would do it, with a 999 overide in case of accident when you would need to call the emergency services, When i'm driving, my mobile is ignored, i won't answer it , if its important, i will pull over and phone back. i think our driving laws need to be tightened up, and enforced thats the thing thas missing, enforcement, people who decide to knowingly break the law do so because they think they won't get caught.

Yup, self policing doesn't work for idiots..

XXX pic...
login to view
By *edesi  (M)  over a year ago

I agree with every one drinking and driving should be banned

I must admit tried it once kept spilling the drink all over me, and very hard to change gears with drink in hand.

*ersgregor By *ersgregor  (M)  over a year ago

If you drink in moderation there is no reason why you can't have a glass of wine or two with dinner.

Depends on what time you eat and when you next plan to drive.

Average processing of alcohol is one unit per hour depending on certain variables. If you allow two hours to process one unit then it's highly unlikely you will still have alcohol in your system at the end of that unless your liver is on its last legs!

Two large glasses of wine is 6 units so twelve hours plus one is what I allow.

If eating (and drinking) at 7pm then by 9am the next day I'm pretty sure I'm alcohol free and safe to drive.

In France I regularly use the breathalysers you can buy very cheaply and they've never picked anything up when I've checked before getting in the driving seat.

Naturally if you drink to excess long into the night you won't be safe until well into the next day!

You see, that's the problem. The reaction to alcohol as a stimulus isn't an exact science, in fact, its nowhere near exact. The strengths of alcoholic drinks are not fixed to what it says on the label, and your metabolism varies all over the place. You can drink 3 pints of 4.5% bitter one day and be within the limit, and a couple of days later you can be over the limit after just one pint. Your metabolism also dictates how quickly alcohol clears from your system. THOSE ARE FACTS! So, how does anyone know how much they are capable of imbibing without being over the limit? Answer? They don't! Therefore there is only one solution, if you're going to drive within 24 hrs of your last drink, don't drink any alcohol at all. Personally. I'd ban the bloody stuff altogether, given the trouble it causes innocent people.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *iplayer   premium paying member (M)  over a year ago

It's amazing how many drink drivers who have been in accidents, are never seriously injured, its always the innocent who suffer the worse,

Example, the drunk polish lorry driver, he's ok, 8 dead,

Prison for all offenders.

As for mobiles, use it and lose it if caught,

And it should be linked to insurance, premium goes up, ( if they have insurance in the first place)

Hefty fines, and bans

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ljcleeve   profile verified by photo (M)  over a year ago

I tend to take a very different and controversial view of these things as alcohol affects different people to different degrees in different circumstances and a case of flu can have similar or worse effect on your driving. Phone use is far more straightforward.

As a general rule which would cover everything from drink driving to being incapable through illness or even age, I think that there shouldn't be either limits or driving fines but you should judge your own competence and act accordingly.

The deterrent would be that if you have an accident through anything other than bad luck or extreme weather conditions you are tried as if you took a weapon from your house (the car) and went out to kill/injure or damage whatever you hit. That would mean that if you weren't paying attention and killed someone you would be tried for murder with a life sentence if guilty or knocking someone's wall down is criminal damage.

Drink driving limits simply don't work, mobile phone bans don't work, maybe it's because they are ambiguous and with soft sentences!!!

By *ajor mistake  (M)  over a year ago

prehaps cars can be fitted with a breath analyzer that if it detects alcohol on your breath it engages the immobilizer and you have manually un set it,before the car will start, that way, you have made the decision to drive whilst over the limit it immediately sends an alert to a central database, that will tell your local police area to come and nab you?

*ordic-knight By *ordic-knight   premium paying member (M)  over a year ago

I have a feeling that one car manufacturer did introduce a breath test device that meant the car would not start if you failed it. It would certainly be a good idea.

"I have a feeling that one car manufacturer did introduce a breath test device that meant the car would not start if you failed it. It would certainly be a good idea."

It was but it was found to be too easy to get around. There is new one about that is on the steering wheel and can detect alcohol through the skin so it has to be the person driving. It let you start or drive if you are over and as the alcohol gets through system it will give you warnings, the problem is at the moment is that what do they do when you go over the limit when your driving, if it just stops the car it could stop you in a motorway and cause more accidents.

Zero difficult to detect...needs to be simply a low threshold

By *oland butter  (M)  over a year ago

quite agree

a zero limit is near impossible to detect

it has to be properly calibrated

even in arab countries -there is no such thing really as a zero reading.

though-yes-of course-VERY low,

as the body -even if one were a lifetime teetotaller

can naturally produce alcohol.

in my work at sea-I can be breath tested at any time

which of course has to be within the `zero` calibration.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *angkokjoe  (M)  over a year ago

I enjoy a few beers and long ago drinking and driving wasn't a crime over here but it is now and strictly enforced which why I don't have a car but a couple of regular taxi firms to ferry me around, max cost £10 a day, everybody happy!

*heshire baldie By *heshire baldie  (M)  over a year ago

re; mobile phones, it does irritate me when people are driving around holding the phone and are clearly oblivious of anything but going forward i.e. no peripheral awareness.

A solution may be to empower the police to confiscate the mobile which then goes into a portable crusher in the police car and the remnants given back to the driver in a plastic bag.

Then fine them £1000 and ban them for 3 months. The ongoing effect on their insurance will be massive.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *orchlight  (M)  over a year ago

I think the Laws are about right as they are apart from smoking should be banned while driving. Drink driving, like smoking, has become socially unacceptable which is where both should be.

Drink driving is already banned but there are, and always will be, those who drink and drive. Laws mean nothing to them. Ban them and they will drive without a licence or insurance. Breathalyser ignition won't work, they would just get someone else to breath into it, start the car and drive off.

Just last week I was nearly in a head on with a gas van driver in a country lane, he came sweeping around a blind bend on the wrong side of the road, I could see the phone in his hand that he was texting on.

Smoking? Can't see how that affects driving at all?

Me? Teetotal, never take the mobile with me unless on a long journey, and then only for possible emergency use. Would never take or make a call, if its important I can deal with it when I next stop. I can't do anything no matter how important it is if I am driving can I?

" When i'm driving, my mobile is ignored, i won't answer it , if its important, i will pull over and phone back."

How do you know if it's important if you're ignoring it? You'd have to look at it, so it then becomes a distraction!

By *annyboy87  (M)  over a year ago

There is a need to review law I personally know five people that got caught drink driving just got 12 months ban and all. Laughed about it 1 even said he do it standing on his head

People may not think that way if they got proper punishment for the crime anything over double over limit automatically gets. 6 years driving ban a prison sentence and fine

That just might make people think twice

By *oxyman  (TV/TS/CD)  over a year ago

Why not also crush their cars

The penalties have never been enough. For example, if you were caught drink driving, but more to the point, over the limit, I think if there was a mandatory three months inside the problem would soon almost disappear. If the penalty would mean some losing their jobs, they may take this stupid practice seriously. The only problem with a ban is the inconvenience and the subsequent increase in insurance, which most just shrug their shoulders at. A car is a lethal weapon in a sober persons hand if not driven correctly. In a drunks hands, it doesn't bear thinking of. How many more people have to be killed or seriously injured just for the sake of alcohol

XXX pic...
login to view
By *deviantx-   profile verified by photo (M)  over a year ago

The little boy of friennds of mine in Brum was killed by a drunk driver some years ago. Fucker got away with 3 1/2 years as manslaughter on the grounds the kid was unruly and his mum didn't have him duly under control, allowing him to run out on to the road.

In my books it was murder and the cunt should have gone down for life, especially considering that he'd been done twice for drink driving in the past.

Plain idiocy. Booze and the wheel does NOT mix!

"Why not also crush their cars"

I would agree with that. Drink drive & get caught,

CAR CRUSHED. End of.

XXX pic...
login to view

"Why not also crush their cars

I would agree with that. Drink drive & get caught,

CAR CRUSHED. End of."

Problem with crushing their cars is that it doesn't stop them climbing into another one. Crush their lives, just as they crush the lives of those and their loved ones that THEY crush!

XXX pic...
login to view
By *perm nurse   profile verified by photo (M)  over a year ago

What about drug drivers?un insured drivers, banned drivers?

XXX pic...
login to view

Ad. The last word of my last post should have been 'kill', not 'crush'.

Add a new message to this topic