New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login357685 members (92 yesterday), private messages

cottaging.co.uk > Forums > The lounge > Time

See newest message in thread

Time

XXX pic...
login to view
By *heshire baldie  (M) 9 weeks ago

@private mail, +add as contact

Could someone explain what time is; not how we measure it or how we use it, but actually what it is.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *annyboy87  (M) 9 weeks ago

Very interesting subject Mr Cheshire

Can't wait to see what's said

By *aravaggio  (M) 9 weeks ago

Time is duration, around which, man has placed markers to measure periods of duration, ….. time is a manmade concept.

We have a Politics section ….. maybe we need a Philosophy section?? ..

XXX pic...
login to view
By *oondog   profile verified by photo (M) 9 weeks ago

Time is an entirely man-made concept devised to help understand the physical laws of the universe.

Professor Hawking had a view that it was an entirely artificial construct but was the best working hypothesis, it introduced linearity to equations and expressions enabling them to reach conclusions.

The alternative view is that there is no such thing as time as everything that has, is and will happen is happening now and that the universe is non-linear.

XXX pic...
login to view

"We have a Politics section ….. maybe we need a Philosophy section?? .. "

I think you have to be an avid May-hater to post in the politics section, not everyone qualifies!

XXX pic...
login to view

"We have a Politics section ….. maybe we need a Philosophy section?? ..

I think you have to be an avid May-hater to post in the politics section, not everyone qualifies!"

oops, that's torn it - you mentioned the "M" word.

XXX pic...
login to view

"Time is an entirely man-made concept devised to help understand the physical laws of the universe.

Professor Hawking had a view that it was an entirely artificial construct but was the best working hypothesis, it introduced linearity to equations and expressions enabling them to reach conclusions.

The alternative view is that there is no such thing as time as everything that has, is and will happen is happening now and that the universe is non-linear."

if that was the case - and I'm not doubting for a moment that it couldn't be - why has my tea gone cold?

XXX pic...
login to view

I think you have to be an avid May-hater to post in the politics section, not everyone qualifies!

oops, that's torn it - you mentioned the "M" word."

I'm expecting the SWAT team to take me out any minute lol

*hris51234 By  *hris51234    profile verified by photo premium paying member (M) 9 weeks ago

Time is impatient....so i'm told, it waits for no man

XXX pic...
login to view

"Time is an entirely man-made concept devised to help understand the physical laws of the universe.

The alternative view is that there is no such thing as time as everything that has, is and will happen is happening now and that the universe is non-linear.

if that was the case - and I'm not doubting for a moment that it couldn't be - why has my tea gone cold?"

Easy! - your tea is both warm and cold at the same time and it always has been and always will be. It's you that has changed not the tea!

*ordic-knight By *ordic-knight   premium paying member (M) 9 weeks ago

I think you have to be an avid May-hater to post in the politics section, not everyone qualifies!"

That's a true statement if ever there was one.

XXX pic...
login to view

oops, that's torn it - you mentioned the "M" word.

I'm expecting the SWAT team to take me out any minute lol "

I think one of the SWATs is on holiday (have I spelt that right?)

Time as we know it is a man made concept. A day is based on the Earth's rotation on its own axis and a year on its orbit around the Sun. So Earthly time only applies to this planet not the rest of the Universe. If sometime in the future human colonies are established on other planets/ celestial spheres then time as we know it will have to be reassessed. Time must exist as things move forward like we all grow older.

XXX pic...
login to view

"Time as we know it is a man made concept. A day is based on the Earth's rotation on its own axis and a year on its orbit around the Sun. So Earthly time only applies to this planet not the rest of the Universe. If sometime in the future human colonies are established on other planets/ celestial spheres then time as we know it will have to be reassessed. Time must exist as things move forward like we all grow older."

Time would exist, with or without man, so we can't have invented it; the big bang happened long before we even existed. Time as a concept is therefore independent of humans.

XXX pic...
login to view

"Time as we know it is a man made concept. A day is based on the Earth's rotation on its own axis and a year on its orbit around the Sun. So Earthly time only applies to this planet not the rest of the Universe. If sometime in the future human colonies are established on other planets/ celestial spheres then time as we know it will have to be reassessed. Time must exist as things move forward like we all grow older."

That's a good point and if we ever settle on any other planet then relative timeframes will have to be reassessed.

Hawking's point is that our part of the universe doesn't change but our perspective of it (including the perspective of our physical selves) changes and creates the illusion of time.

That explanation allows for no beginning or end which those concepts create the biggest difficulty in human understanding. The need for time to have a start and end seems irrefutable but a non-linear explanation makes perfect sense.

It also enables string theory and the theory of the multiverse.

Linear time as commonly understood does not allow those theories.

XXX pic...
login to view

"Time as we know it is a man made concept. A day is based on the Earth's rotation on its own axis and a year on its orbit around the Sun. So Earthly time only applies to this planet not the rest of the Universe. If sometime in the future human colonies are established on other planets/ celestial spheres then time as we know it will have to be reassessed. Time must exist as things move forward like we all grow older.

Time would exist, with or without man, so we can't have invented it; the big bang happened long before we even existed. Time as a concept is therefore independent of humans."

No one doubts existence (well hardly anyone) but its the concept that time is linear that is the man-conceived concept. Linear time is the concept we have invented to describe the phenomena of change of perspective of the universe we experience.

No one has yet proven that time is linear and many dispute it!

XXX pic...
login to view
By *cousedpw   profile verified by photo (M) 9 weeks ago

"Time as we know it is a man made concept. A day is based on the Earth's rotation on its own axis and a year on its orbit around the Sun. So Earthly time only applies to this planet not the rest of the Universe. If sometime in the future human colonies are established on other planets/ celestial spheres then time as we know it will have to be reassessed. Time must exist as things move forward like we all grow older.

That's a good point and if we ever settle on any other planet then relative timeframes will have to be reassessed.

Hawking's point is that our part of the universe doesn't change but our perspective of it (including the perspective of our physical selves) changes and creates the illusion of time.

That explanation allows for no beginning or end which those concepts create the biggest difficulty in human understanding. The need for time to have a start and end seems irrefutable but a non-linear explanation makes perfect sense.

It also enables string theory and the theory of the multiverse.

Linear time as commonly understood does not allow those theories."

Surely time and the measurement of time are being mixed up here.

If the past, present and future were all happening at the same time, we are all underage on this site, as well as being dead.

I think you have to be an avidnot May-hater to post in the politics section, not everyone qualifies!

Got some right drama queens on here lol

XXX pic...
login to view

"

If the past, present and future were all happening at the same time, we are all underage on this site, as well as being dead. "

Yes but we are all overage at the same time too!

if that was the case - and I'm not doubting for a moment that it couldn't be - why has my tea gone cold?"

There is a theory that we each are only a figment of imagination, bought about by a particular combination of electronic impulses, in other words, we don't exist in bodily form. Ref your cold tea ….. perhaps it was never hot, you only imagined it to be so. maybe it was never even there in the first place, but what is the first place?? ……… this is making my head hurt!....

I prefer Martian time. I means I am only 32

I know it's off topic but it wasn't me that brought it up in first place

U moan that you can't go on politics forum unless you are an avid May-hater

But can't seem to find that in rules

So I think you just can't stand it when Mrs mays faults are highlighted

Can't admit she can and does make mistakes

Anyway to all Dannyboy haters you have won no need to gang up and be bullys that you all are

I've decided not to come back to this site for some time well forum anyways

Got sick of having to go on defensive because of the bullys then making myself. Look a fool because I end up saying wrong thing

All I can say to those and you know who you are get a life should be ashamed of yourselfs supposed to be adults

Yes I'm to blame for some of it but still noeexcuse

XXX pic...
login to view

I know I'm biased, but this is an interesting subject and I'm enjoying the responses

XXX pic...
login to view

I postulate that there is only one of us, and that when our time is up then we go back in time to be a person who already existed - so we are one and all.

The good news is that we all get a turn at being Man in Trousers sooner or later

if that was the case - and I'm not doubting for a moment that it couldn't be - why has my tea gone cold?

There is a theory that we each are only a figment of imagination, bought about by a particular combination of electronic impulses, in other words, we don't exist in bodily form. Ref your cold tea ….. perhaps it was never hot, you only imagined it to be so. maybe it was never even there in the first place, but what is the first place?? ……… this is making my head hurt!.... "

I postulate that there is only one of us, and that when our time is up then we go back in time to be a person who already existed - so we are one and all.

The good news is that we all get a turn at being Man in Trousers sooner or later

XXX pic...
login to view

"

The good news is that we all get a turn at being Man in Trousers sooner or later "

Yes but would you rather be MIT or his personal cock slave lol

XXX pic...
login to view

"

Yes but would you rather be MIT or his personal cock slave lol "

I don't think my legs can open THAT wide

XXX pic...
login to view

"

There is a theory that we each are only a figment of imagination, bought about by a particular combination of electronic impulses,-?"

The theory of Metaphysical solipsism is that only our own consciousness exists and nothing else.

It's often quoted alongside theories that define ourselves as God but we don't realise it.

XXX pic...
login to view

"

Yes but would you rather be MIT or his personal cock slave lol

I don't think my legs can open THAT wide "

Go on, challenge yourself lol

"I know it's off topic but it wasn't me that brought it up in first place

Anyway to all Dannyboy haters you have won no need to gang up and be bullys that you all are

Got sick of having to go on defensive because of the bullys then making myself. Look a fool because I end up saying wrong thing

All I can say to those and you know who you are get a life should be ashamed of yourselfs supposed to be adults

Yes I'm to blame for some of it but still noeexcuse "

Do Dannyboy haters really exist/ I rather doubt it. We all love you really even if you are infuriating at times and banned from all forthcoming social events at 10 Downing Street

I have felt the same way as you when I was being constantly contradicted and ridiculed by certain people on the politics forum. No need to throw in the towel. But please, please, please give poor old Mrs May a break. Despite what you may think I am not her greatest fan and I certainly would want to be in her shoes right now. Yes I know they would fit and I would over-balance

XXX pic...
login to view

Do Dannyboy haters really exist/ I rather doubt it. We all love you really even if you are infuriating at times and banned from all forthcoming social events at 10 Downing Street

I have felt the same way as you when I was being constantly contradicted and ridiculed by certain people on the politics forum. No need to throw in the towel. But please, please, please give poor old Mrs May a break. Despite what you may think I am not her greatest fan and I certainly would want to be in her shoes right now. Yes I know they would fit and I would over-balance "

but you'd give us all a laugh

By *otoned  (M) 9 weeks ago

"

There is a theory that we each are only a figment of imagination, bought about by a particular combination of electronic impulses,-?

The theory of Metaphysical solipsism is that only our own consciousness exists and nothing else.

I’ve met quite a few guys who think they are God’s gift

It's often quoted alongside theories that define ourselves as God but we don't realise it."

By *otoned  (M) 9 weeks ago

"

There is a theory that we each are only a figment of imagination, bought about by a particular combination of electronic impulses,-?

The theory of Metaphysical solipsism is that only our own consciousness exists and nothing

It's often quoted alongside theories that define ourselves as

God but we don't realise it."

I’ve met quite a few guys who think they are God’s gift

XXX pic...
login to view
By *sunamiwarrior   profile verified by photo (M) 9 weeks ago

Yes I'm to blame for some of it but still noeexcuse "

I don't think anyone hates you danny and many of us have a good laugh at you but it can become very monotonous when we know what you will post before you start writing it

why go off topic to feed your ego? Why not join in the conversation and make relevent posts which are you own views and not something you read on Facebook ot Twitter lol.

I quite like you!

XXX pic...
login to view

so, nothing definitive about time then?

XXX pic...
login to view
By *airyrugger  (M) 9 weeks ago

Time flies like an arrow... fruit flies like a banana.

By *arry101  (M) 9 weeks ago

There is a Doctor on the telly who might be able to help you understand it. When I spoke to him he said its all relative so time is my sister, apparently

XXX pic...
login to view

"so, nothing definitive about time then?"

This is a brilliant subject with a couple of good responses and I hope we get a few more who have some knowledge of the subject .. I wish I was such a person.

XXX pic...
login to view
By  *H23    profile verified by photo premium paying member (M) 9 weeks ago

What’s the problem? It’s 16.30hrs, or 4.30pm

XXX pic...
login to view

I think it's easy to get confused between time (what is it), the physical measurement of time and the meaning of time. In many ways it's just as slippery a fish as ethics and immortality.

There are many intellectuals over time who have considered what it is and they have singularly failed to come up with an answer.

But who knows, the answer could be lurking amongst us in our "community"? Why not? There is so much intelligence in here (together with acid, humour and sex!) that maybe we can come up with a definition.

I'm watching this space

XXX pic...
login to view
By *lain51   profile verified by photo (M) 9 weeks ago

One of the problems we humans have is that we are stuck in a linear perception of existence, because it is all that we know. we are born, live, and die, thus from our point of view everything has to have a beginning and an end which may not be the case of the universe. Relativity is the key issue. We exist in the space time continuum relative to ourselves. This may be different in other parts of the universe or in other universes as it is different to objects travelling at speeds relative to each other - Einstein's clock paradox. However, in my present, I am enjoying the cock paradox! In me rather than a fanny! O joy, temporal, but fun!

There is a theory that we each are only a figment of imagination, bought about by a particular combination of electronic impulses, in other words, we don't exist in bodily form. Ref your cold tea ….. perhaps it was never hot, you only imagined it to be so. maybe it was never even there in the first place, but what is the first place?? ……… this is making my head hurt!....

The good news is that we all get a turn at being Man in Trousers sooner or later "

Now THAT is definitely your imagination at work ..

"so, nothing definitive about time then?

This is a brilliant subject with a couple of good responses and I hope we get a few more who have some knowledge of the subject .. I wish I was such a person."

Its when you encounter a rip in the space time continuum and you find yourself having to defend against the dungeon dimensions, that you rue the day you threw that old puncture repair kit away ..

XXX pic...
login to view
By *lways andrea   profile verified by photo (M) 9 weeks ago

those aliens in the film arrival knew a thing or two about time and how to manipulate it..pity it was just science fiction..

XXX pic...
login to view

"Time flies "

On here tempers fudge it!

I don't think anyone hates you danny and many of us have a good laugh at you but it can become very monotonous when we know what you will post before you start writing it

why go off topic to feed your ego? Why not join in the conversation and make relevent posts which are you own views and not something you read on Facebook ot Twitter lol.

I quite like you!"

I haven't got Facebook or Twitter so wrong yet again

XXX pic...
login to view
By *evanian  (M) 9 weeks ago

Time is represented through change, such as the circular motion of the moon around Earth. The passing of time is indeed closely connected to the concept of space.

According to the general theory of relativity, space, or the universe, emerged in the Big Bang some 13.7 billion years ago. Before that, all matter was packed into an extremely tiny dot. That dot also contained the matter that later came to be the sun, the earth and the moon -- the heavenly bodies that tell us about the passing of time.

Before the Big Bang, there was no space or time.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ountain   premium paying member (M) 9 weeks ago

Except inside the tiny dot.

To be a tiny dot, there has to be something around it, otherwise it wouldn't be a dot. There is, or there isn't ……. can't be nothing if there is something.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *.London   profile verified by photo (M) 9 weeks ago

"Before the Big Bang, there was no space or time."

How do you KNOW that? It's a theory, surely?

Isn't it possibly that all matter is gradually sucked into black holes and the black holes gradually gravitate together before meeting in a

BIG BANG

Which starts the whole process off again?

"Before the Big Bang, there was no space or time.

How do you KNOW that? It's a theory, surely?

Isn't it possibly that all matter is gradually sucked into black holes and the black holes gradually gravitate together before meeting in a

BIG BANG

Which starts the whole process off again?"

Could be …. …. but there again …..

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ike1960   profile verified by photo (M) 9 weeks ago

Asking 'what is time' is like asking 'where does your lap go when you stand up'.

The word 'lap'means the front of a sitting person from waist to knees. When you stand it no longer exists. Time is the label we give to measurements of duration. It doesn't in itself exist, but like the word 'lap' only exists when we use it as a standard of measurement.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ionysus007   profile verified by photo (M) 9 weeks ago

Once on a TV programme I heard someone look at a clock and ask "Is that the time?" Someone else replied "No time is an abstract human concept that's a clock". I don't remember what programme it was.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ewcocol  (M) 9 weeks ago

Time can be fluid, the time between you coming and him going can be an eternity, even if it's only a few minutes.

XXX pic...
login to view

All of it is theory.

It's been said that before the bib bangy thing

was a swirling mass of possibilities.

XXX pic...
login to view

"Asking 'what is time' is like asking 'where does your lap go when you stand up'.

The word 'lap'means the front of a sitting person from waist to knees. When you stand it no longer exists. Time is the label we give to measurements of duration. It doesn't in itself exist, but like the word 'lap' only exists when we use it as a standard of measurement. "

so if you want to freeze time .. don't let your lap lapse

XXX pic...
login to view

Big bangy thingy a swirling mass of possibilities

That sounds like the dark bit of the steam room at Northwich on a busy day.

XXX pic...
login to view

And to say that a tiny dot has to be surrounded by something!! What is our expanding universe moving

into?

Another interesting aspects is time zones. Theoretically you can arrive in a new place before you left the one you started from......I think

Wonder if time travel maybe possible in future

XXX pic...
login to view

"Wonder if time travel maybe possible in future"

I haven't met anyone from the future yet, so I'd guess it won't be.

XXX pic...
login to view

"Another interesting aspects is time zones. Theoretically you can arrive in a new place before you left the one you started from......I think "

Interesting quandary I think .........

If you leave the U.K. and I head east the time increases in increments of an hour as you travel. If you head west the time decreases in the same way. So .......... when both of us arrive at the halfway point diametrically opposite the U.K. .....

What would the time be? Later or earlier? Would time be different for each of us?

Does this make any sense? When I was born in 1607 time travel was just a rumour.

XXX pic...
login to view

I hope not - the world is already fucked up enough without someone from the future changing it

XXX pic...
login to view

"Another interesting aspects is time zones. Theoretically you can arrive in a new place before you left the one you started from......I think

Interesting quandary I think .........

If you leave the U.K. and I head east the time increases in increments of an hour as you travel. If you head west the time decreases in the same way. So .......... when both of us arrive at the halfway point diametrically opposite the U.K. .....

What would the time be? Later or earlier? Would time be different for each of us?

Does this make any sense? When I was born in 1607 time travel was just a rumour. "

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ionysus007   profile verified by photo (M) 9 weeks ago

I wish it was now, I'd go back 40 years and put money in lots of saving accounts. Or go back in time to France and swap a few bottles of wine to Van Gogh for a few paintings.

Why not just go back a couple of days with the winning lottery numbers scribbled down?? ..

*hris51234 By  *hris51234    profile verified by photo premium paying member (M) 9 weeks ago

If i could go back in time i'd like to be able to do something to help others rather than satisfy my own greed!

XXX pic...
login to view

I'm reasonably sure a fair amount of members on here are time travellers. They shoot back a decade or so when they state their age for their profile.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *attthew2  (M) 9 weeks ago

Your tea has gone cold because eventually the whole universe will be at room temperature. But there won’t be any rooms to have an ambient temperature or indeed thermometers to measure the temperature that won’t exist. On the largest scale I think Everything is cooling down. Time on the other hand will continue to be a mystery should there be anything to ponder it. I guess that I doubt that there will.

Besides Im far too busy getting laid and drinking tepid tea to wonder about these things properly in this time, that time and future time (future time obviously doesn’t ever exist except as a concept. As indeed is true of past time, there is only now.) . I hope this clears it up. Grins coyly.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *attthew2  (M) 9 weeks ago

"Wonder if time travel maybe possible in future

I haven't met anyone from the future yet, so I'd guess it won't be. "

how do you know that just might not have come across anybody yet

XXX pic...
login to view

"Wonder if time travel maybe possible in future

I haven't met anyone from the future yet, so I'd guess it won't be. how do you know that just might not have come across anybody yet "

Maybe you’ve met someone from the future but they just didn’t mention it

Add a new message to this topic