New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login362902 members (108 yesterday), private messages

cottaging.co.uk > Forums > The lounge > Smart Meters? Are they a con?

See newest message in thread

Smart Meters? Are they a con?

*ordic-knight By *ordic-knight   premium paying member (M) 4 weeks ago

@private mail, +add as contact

We keep seeing all these ads on tv about how much energy you can save with them but how? Have one fitted in June and since then my energy bills have rocketed and that is with using very little heating so far. Something wrong somewhere.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

XXX pic...
login to view
By *emused   profile verified by photo (M) 4 weeks ago

In my view the whole concept of Smart Meters is a VERY BIG con.

Anything that gives the power suppliers, and maybe the government?, more data and knowledge or control about or over me is to be treated with VERY deep suspicion.

A meter, whatever it's poncy title, can only measure what passes through it - that's why it is called a meter!

What determines what passes through it is the user and only the user can reduce or increase power use.

It may be that being more aware of what you use would make you use less but that is your choice not the meter's.

I am not willingly going to give anyone any more control over me that I have to and so I will NEVER have a smart meter fitted as long as I have the option not to.

BEWARE - big brother is coming to a home near you!

*astkenter By *astkenter  (M) 4 weeks ago

I get constant calls from a particular company telling me they are coming to fit my smart meter, pretending that it is obligatory. I read the legislation so know that it a lie - it is merely a recommendation. I tell them time and again that I am not interested but they continue to try it on. I am also reliably informed that if you do get a smart meter you should get one without transfer capability. Just another way to gather data and get rid of jobs (no more meter readers0, like the self-service check-outs in supermarkets and self-service machines in post offices. Ugh!!

My energy supply company badgered me about having one. Not obligatory but kept pointing out hoe efficient they are and how much I could save. Well I let them fit one but not impressed. Just cannot see how I am using so much energy but I appear to be. Written to the company but no reply as yet.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *iddlewatchman   profile verified by photo (TV/TS/CD) 4 weeks ago

From what I understand each company has their own type of meter so if you want to change company your meter will have to change too. When they get on that operates in all companies I may consider it but not till then.

*9al By *9al  (M) 4 weeks ago

yes I've had the phone calls too I wont have one until it is compulsory or they get them to work properly

By (user no longer on site) 4 weeks ago

I also get numerous emails and texts from my supplier every week saying that they are installing smart meters in my area and to hurry up and book my install, will save you lots of money, so far no one how explained how it saves me money so will not have one

*etropolis By *etropolis   profile verified by photo (M) 4 weeks ago

I talked a friend out of having one as they seem to be a con. Luckily I can't have one as I live in an apartment complex and all our metres are too far away from the apartments for the signals to work.

The problem lies with the way they are being marketed. Smart Meters themselves don't save you money, what they do is show you via a remote display how much energy you are using at any given time. Mine with E.On records Electricity use every 3 seconds and Gas use every 30 minutes. It's also got three lights along the bottom that show usage - Green means low or normal consumption, yellow means medium usage and red means heavy usage. With these you can work out which appliances use the most energy - it's surprising how much an electric kettle bumps it up! The idea is for you to monitor what you use and identify any excesses. Reducing these yourself is where the savings come from - not the meters themselves.

By *otoned  (M) 4 weeks ago

I received a letter about having a smart meter, phoned them up and told them I didn’t want one as I have a pacemaker, haven’t heard anything since

"The problem lies with the way they are being marketed. Smart Meters themselves don't save you money, what they do is show you via a remote display how much energy you are using at any given time. Mine with E.On records Electricity use every 3 seconds and Gas use every 30 minutes. It's also got three lights along the bottom that show usage - Green means low or normal consumption, yellow means medium usage and red means heavy usage. With these you can work out which appliances use the most energy - it's surprising how much an electric kettle bumps it up! The idea is for you to monitor what you use and identify any excesses. Reducing these yourself is where the savings come from - not the meters themselves. "

Mine is also with EON. However only a green and red light. Sometimes it goes to red when boiling a kettle but at other times stays green despite no other appliances being in use.

By *racknell Cum Eater  (M) 4 weeks ago

Smart Meters are not worth it, each company has theit own so if you change company you need to get a new one. They are not mandatory so until they are just keep wiht what you have got the good old fashioned meter. I have also heard stories that they use your wifi so not too sure if they are monitoring anything but who knows, & why should they use my wifi & not pay for it!

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ALLBIMALE52   premium paying member (TV/TS/CD) 4 weeks ago

I’m sorry if this offends but here goes. Meters are for morons, if you don’t understand that if you switch something on that’s powered by gas or electric it’s going to cost money, then there’s no hope for you!!

I’ve also heard from engineers within power companies that it’s only a matter of time that they use the meters to charge more at peak periods to force you to change your habits or rake in more cash, depending on your view of it.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *heshire baldie  (M) 4 weeks ago

"My energy supply company badgered me about having one. Not obligatory but kept pointing out hoe efficient they are and how much I could save. Well I let them fit one but not impressed. Just cannot see how I am using so much energy but I appear to be. Written to the company but no reply as yet."

My friend had a meter change and her bills doubled - she complained and monitored the situation and eventually they agreed and changed the meter again.

Sometimes new meters are wonky

"I’m sorry if this offends but here goes. Meters are for morons, if you don’t understand that if you switch something on that’s powered by gas or electric it’s going to cost money, then there’s no hope for you!! "

You don't say? Well I never! millions will be shocked by that revelation

"I’m sorry if this offends but here goes. Meters are for morons, if you don’t understand that if you switch something on that’s powered by gas or electric it’s going to cost money, then there’s no hope for you!!

You don't say? Well I never! millions will be shocked by that revelation "

Well if he thinks meters are for morons then it sounds as if he's bypassed his so he doesn't have to pay for anything!

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ntrakota  (M) 4 weeks ago

Smart meters only use the mobile networks GPRS data service via a internal SIM card you, will never be asked for your WiFi password to connect to your Broadband service because you could disable its ability to communicate by changing your password once the Installation is complete.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ister Pfister   profile verified by photo (M) 4 weeks ago

Smart meters have absolutely fuck all to do with what you pay for your gas/electric...that's down to the supplier

If you're paying too much...change your supplier!

When I get asked by someone else about my current supplier, I'm always told "we can't compete with them"

*oredEric By *oredEric  (M) 4 weeks ago

I live on a restricted budget after becoming disabled, I did have those awful cards and tokens, but as they involved such a painful operation to use E-on agreed to put me on a tariff at the higher rates that come with those cards and tokens. If I could prove i could make the payments they'd put me on a lower tariff, BUT it had to be a Smart Meter. Fine with me.

Then they started making mistakes, cutting me off, payments wrong, all sorts of weirdness, each time they fined themselves, and added the money to my account. At one point they were paying more of my bill than I was!

After a year I worked out three rates for myself, Summer under £1 a day, Spring/Autumn up to £2 a day, Winter £3 a day. it works for me, although there is also Sod the cost I'm bloody freezing days, which come in at about £5 a day.

Now I am a valued customer, they offer me competitive rates, they fuck up every once in a while and top up my account. They rewired my meter and board for a disabled shower room, they have someone here inside an hour if there's a problem, I can ring a certain lady to talk through any issues, and they also got me on the Warm Front Winter Discount which had me and the cat dancing around as that added £150 for the cold weather.

I might be able to save £5 a quarter switching, but they've treated me alright, when they mess up they pay up, and I'm happy to show a little customer loyalty.

So far I've kept to the Summer rate apart from two days in the last fortnight, and I can always put a jumper on and the cat has a fur coat and an idiot to sit on who enjoys sharing the warmth at the cost of some extreme claws out padding.

Weirdly if I'm in a skirt she sits on my lap, trousers on my chest, weird cat.

*ohnta By *ohnta   profile verified by photo (M) 4 weeks ago

A big con. I was tricked into having one because I thought they were compulsory when in fact they aren't. Never switched it on. Only advantage is I get a correct quarterly bill to pay instead of the odd estimated ones when they cannot be bothered to send someone out to read the meter. If I am cold heat goes on never mind the cost.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ock Craver   premium paying member (M) 4 weeks ago

They are a cost cutting tool for the energy companies.. Nothing more.

It's so they don't have to employ some bod to come round and read the mater.. Shame as I did have fun with a meter reader once..

But where I live, I've had British gas come out twice to fit one and on both occasions couldn't do it for some bizarre reasons..

XXX pic...
login to view
By  *enior 74    profile verified by photo premium paying member (M) 4 weeks ago

All the stories seems to be against smart meters we have had one for over 2years our bills have not gone up and you can tell what not to use so much been quite pleased with it and water meter nearly halved what we were paying before it was fitted

By *ob58  (M) 4 weeks ago

i agree, i dont want ppl knowing even more ,big brother

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ickyboy  (M) 3 weeks ago

my understanding on this is that all they do is to show you how much you use . they do not save you anything !.it is up to you to save by not using things and of course because you now with one fitted can see how the bill rises in front of your eyes !!! you will i guess try to stop it from going up by turning off the things which are running up the bill lol . so is it a con ? or a trick ? no its not . its just something to bring your attension to the fact that you are using "THIS " amount of fuel and "this" is your bill at this moment .

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ickyboy  (M) 3 weeks ago

The saving you make or not is up to you . if you cut down as a result of what you see on the meter because your bill is going though the roof then yes you did make a saving i guess and yes they can say you will make a saving as a result of having a meter fitted . but its not the meter that will save you and money . it what you use or do not use which will in the end make the bill bigger or smaller . bottom line here is fuel in all forms is going up [ see petrol stations just now too ] so for everyone it is now costing a lot of money to heat your home and have light and power in our lives and there very little you can do to stop it going up apart from using less of it

XXX pic...
login to view
By *rian2   profile verified by photo (M) 3 weeks ago

It is all a sham. The smart meters ,current versions, do not operate smart if you chnage suppliers.

Allowing the company to monitor real time whether I am home consuming or not is a concern. They know when you are on holiday because you are not consuming. Get listed for burglary.

The meters themselves do not save you any money. It just saves the supplier from sending a meter reader at least once a year. Give more profit to the supplier.

I can read my existing meter if I am concerned about the level of consumption , a smart meter does nothing for me.

Some companies say the meter is obsolete and dangerous needing replacement. Dont believe it, its a trick to make you convert.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ardolf  (M) 3 weeks ago

I didn't get mine to save money. My gas meter is in a very inconvenient location which meant going outside to read it - not fun in the Winter. The smart meter sends readings automatically to the gas and/or electricity company and I get an accurate bill every month. As the installation of the meter is free, it's a no brainer.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *rad55   profile verified by photo (M) 3 weeks ago

"I didn't get mine to save money. My gas meter is in a very inconvenient location which meant going outside to read it - not fun in the Winter. The smart meter sends readings automatically to the gas and/or electricity company and I get an accurate bill every month. As the installation of the meter is free, it's a no brainer."

The installation is'nt free,the cost has been added to our bills.The goverment and the regulator has allowed this to happen.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *emused   profile verified by photo (M) 3 weeks ago

My gas meter is outdoors too and I would sooner nip out and read it once a quarter, even if it is raining, then let some other bugger have any more data or control on me that I have to.

I do not have to read it any specific day so I can even get to choose a dry day!

XXX pic...
login to view
By *aked4u2   profile verified by photo (M) 3 weeks ago

I have used my option to NOT want a Smart meter on 3 different occasions, twice by phone and the last time when my local meter reader called and again he asked if I'd like a new Smart meter a couple of weeks ago. How they can save money is beyond me, when I'm cold I turn on the heating and when it's dark I turn on the lights. No meter is going to change that routine !

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ittleman99  (M) 3 weeks ago

Google......."Six reasons to say no to a smart meter" The Telegraph, the security ririsks worry me

*s55 By *s55  (M) 3 weeks ago

A total con devised by the power company's. Do they save you money No they actually cost money to run. Yes they make you aware of the amount of gas and electric you are using but don't save you any. Real reason for them fuel costs are rising at approx 12% per annum as costs rise many people will be aware of fuel poverty. It means they can't afford the gas and electricity they require and the power company can restrict the amount the customer gets. The other main reason if we have issues like the 70s when they had to cut power to areas for A couple of hours they can do this but leave emergency services and vunrable still connected so if or when Mr Putin decides to cut us off the power company's will control who gets power

XXX pic...
login to view
By *uclid   profile verified by photo (M) 3 weeks ago

I have had solar panels fitted on my roofs, the company who supplied them advised me not to get a smart meter fitted ,he even told me the electric companies insist I have one fitted ,I have no intention of having a smart meter till it becomes law

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ldbutbold   profile verified by photo (M) 3 weeks ago

I had one of the earlier ones self installed after a week i found i was paying to run the meter that told me how much i was wasteing,.During an upgrade on my house wiring i had it removed and binned.since then my utility bill has gone down by 11% per month saving me a couple of hundred pounds.

By (user no longer on site) 3 weeks ago

"I didn't get mine to save money. My gas meter is in a very inconvenient location which meant going outside to read it - not fun in the Winter. The smart meter sends readings automatically to the gas and/or electricity company and I get an accurate bill every month. As the installation of the meter is free, it's a no brainer."

Absolutely!

Frankly some of the comments on here are utter bollocks and just shows the ignorance that surrounds this subject. The display unit that accompanies Smart Meters costs around 87p per year - hardly something that's going to break the bank - and what you pay for your energy depends entirely on what tariff you're on and how much you use. You CANNOT pay more for it just because you've got a Smart Meter!

XXX pic...
login to view
By *iman60  (M) 3 weeks ago

"

Frankly some of the comments on here are utter bollocks and just shows the ignorance that surrounds this subject. The display unit that accompanies Smart Meters costs around 87p per year - hardly something that's going to break the bank - and what you pay for your energy depends entirely on what tariff you're on and how much you use. You CANNOT pay more for it just because you've got a Smart Meter! "

I used to have an electricity meter before the power companies started installing them. I used it to find out what were my main electricity users. I found I had a problem with some wiring(long story) but it cost £10 to fix the problen but saved me £250pa.

As with a lot of things you use it not let it use you. Its a tool to help you, its not going to do it for you.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *iman60  (M) 3 weeks ago

"

Frankly some of the comments on here are utter bollocks and just shows the ignorance that surrounds this subject. The display unit that accompanies Smart Meters costs around 87p per year - hardly something that's going to break the bank - and what you pay for your energy depends entirely on what tariff you're on and how much you use. You CANNOT pay more for it just because you've got a Smart Meter!

I used to have an electricity meter before the power companies started installing them. I used it to find out what were my main electricity users. I found I had a problem with some wiring(long story) but it cost £10 to fix the problen but saved me £250pa.

As with a lot of things you use it not let it use you. Its a tool to help you, its not going to do it for you."

Should have said £150pa

XXX pic...
login to view
By *utitinmybum   profile verified by photo (M) 2 weeks ago

"In my view the whole concept of Smart Meters is a VERY BIG con.

Anything that gives the power suppliers, and maybe the government?, more data and knowledge or control about or over me is to be treated with VERY deep suspicion.

A meter, whatever it's poncy title, can only measure what passes through it - that's why it is called a meter!

What determines what passes through it is the user and only the user can reduce or increase power use.

It may be that being more aware of what you use would make you use less but that is your choice not the meter's.

I am not willingly going to give anyone any more control over me that I have to and so I will NEVER have a smart meter fitted as long as I have the option not to.

BEWARE - big brother is coming to a home near you!"

I totally agree.If you want to save energy turn off the lights and don't use stand by on computers t.v. etc.

In my opinion there are far too many snoopers about and this would be another form of it.If someone is monitoring your asage they could tell if you were at home or not,especially if you were on holiday for a couple of weeks.Your usage would be minimal so in theory whoever was monitoring your meter they could pass this information on to a third party.

I am not going to have one and they continue to harrass me into having one installed.

I have now told the company to fuck off and stop harrassing me otherwise I will report them to the ombudsman and change suppliers.

*ass65 By *ass65   profile verified by photo (M) 2 weeks ago

I agree that smart meters are a BIG CON, the only ones who benefit are the energy companies, they dont have to employ people to read meters, they can get the meter readings and send the bill within hours of taking the reading remotely.

You dont have to accept a so called smart metre, YOU CAN REFUSE.

If the energy company insists that your meter is old or faulty, or as happened in many cases, the meter is a safety hazard and has to be changed, in that case they insist that the only alternative is a smart meter, you can ask that it is made DUMB, ie that it works just like the old meter, and has to be read and will not communicate with their system.

It has been reported that the rollout of smart meters will cost 11 billion, and the energy companies are financing this, however there is nothing to say the consumer will not pay in the long run, anyone believing other wise is in my opinion naïve, to say the least.

One little known fact is that in properties where the cut out is metal clad, (that is the unit on the end of the mains cable which comes into the property and which houses the fuse) the energy companies have decided that opening this metal cut out by their semiskilled meter fixers is too dangerous, and in these cases this cut out has to be replaced with a new plastic one.

Having been involved with these type of cutouts over many years, I have only found a few in domestic premises which have been in such a state as to make it difficult, or even impossible to remove the fuse, this being necessary to connect new tails to the new meter.

The other argument is that there is asbestos in the cut out, well this is a very small amount and it can be dealt with in domestic premises without any danger, by a suitably trained person, as were the old meter fixers.

Here is the problem to enable this cut out to be replaced the cable feeding the premises the premises has to be located underground, a hole has to be dug large enough for a man to access the cable and cut it, this is done by a skilled jointer, when the supply to the building has been isolated the cut out can then be replaced, once this is done the cable then has to be re jointed and the excavation filled in to a required standard, when this work is completed, a new smart meter can be fitted by the semiskilled meter fixer,

This work will be required on a large number of pre war houses, and possibly a number of post war ones too.

The jointing takes around half a day, it can take longer depending on all sorts of variables, some of which are not obvious till the hole is excavated.

I think the 11 billion may be a little small and the time table for completing all the works much too short.

Some energy company smart meters are incompatible with the competition, and in these cases when a consumer switches supplies the meters go dumb and readings have to be taken in just the same way as the old meters.

Problems with high bills have been reported after fitting of smart meters, and any one experiencing this should contact their suppliers and have it checked, also check the tariff they are on with the new meter.

Where solar panels have been fitted to premise there have been a lot of problems with billing, also some companies wont fit smart meters where a property has Solare panels.

The panels are of the type which feed surplus energy back into the National Grid thus reducing bills.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *evealing  (M) 2 weeks ago

A smart meter tells you how much electricity you are using at any one time ? I remember in my early days we had a meter that had a disc revolving within a glass cabinet. The faster the disc revolved the more juice you were using. Simples!!

XXX pic...
login to view
By *odgerlodger  (M) 2 weeks ago

Main reason you are getting pestered to have one is because the big Elec companies bought millions of them and expected everyone to want one.

BUT the present ones are SMETs 1 type which are set up to the company you use at present and if you want to change supplier they have limited capability, the government wants us all to have one by 2020, but anytime now SMETS 2 type smart meters are being released which can transfer from company to company without loss of performance, so best to wait and get a SMETS 2, and you are not then tied to your present supplier and wont have to pay to upgrade it to SMETS 2.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *emused   profile verified by photo (M) 2 weeks ago

"

It has been reported that the rollout of smart meters will cost 11 billion, and the energy companies are financing this, however there is nothing to say the consumer will not pay in the long run, anyone believing other wise is in my opinion naïve, to say the least.

"

My understanding is that the power companies may well be funding the overtly upfront cost but the underlying ultimate cost will be met by their only source of income, their customers, you and me paying more than we should for our power to repay them for their outlay.

We all know how effecient large organisations are when it comes to spending their customer's money so the more power you use the more you pay regardless of whether you have a smart meter or not.

No thank you, I politely decline, it's bad enough paying for it without having to endure it too!

XXX pic...
login to view
By  *icky333    profile verified by photo premium paying member (M) 2 weeks ago

My personal conspiracy theory is that at some time in the future billings will vary by consumption at peak times (something like the reverse of the old Economy 7 tariffs). With a Smart Meter suppliers will be able to monitor energy consumption by the minute and will be able to introduce different tariffs easily.

In reality why would the government and the energy suppliers be so enthusiastic to get these fitted to every household. As others have said the meter in itself does not save energy, but it is monitoring your actual consumption in real time!

My advice is to stick with the old system and don't expose yourself to future variable tariffs.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ister-cutcock   premium paying member (M) 2 weeks ago

"We keep seeing all these ads on tv about how much energy you can save with them but how? Have one fitted in June and since then my energy bills have rocketed and that is with using very little heating so far. Something wrong somewhere."

I refuse to have one fitted, as EVERYONE I have spoken to, that has had a "Smart Meter" fitted, has said exactly the same thing as you.... "Their Energy Bills Have Rocketed". I have also heard that if you have a 'smart-meter', and you want to change your energy supplier, you have to have a NEW replacement smart meter, and YOU THE CUSTOMER have to pay for the meter and the fitting of it.

Also when people have discovered that their Bills have now rocketed after having a 'smart-meter' fitted, and want to change back to a 'standard' meter. They are told that they cannot change back.

My advice is - don't change in the first place, leave well alone.

I've also heard that several of these 'smart-meters' have burst into flames and caused various amounts of fire damage to peoples houses.

In my opinion they are a total 'rip-off' and I will RESIST all attempts to force me to have one. I have had literally dozens of cards and leaflets through the door trying to convince me to change to a "smart-meter".... They all go into the "Paper Recycling Bag" (the best place for them)!

*ral4cutguys By *ral4cutguys  (M) 2 weeks ago

When mine was fitted, the engineer said "did I want it connected - or throw it in the bin?".

It is a waste of time and as most have realised it only tells you what you are using in gas and/or electricity. Turn the electric kettle on and the meter will tell you that a lot of power is being used - well I never - I could not possibly have known that without the meter.

Mine remains unconnected.

The whole point of this exercise was to fit at the meters a device that the supplier could access remotely to find the usage in order to prepare your bill. Well - have you seen a meter reader in the months since the unit was fitted ?

The actual benefit to the consumer is that with accurate readings by remote access, the supplier cannot hold high monthly direct debits and only tell you at the end of the year how much credit he is holding of your money !

*etropolis By *etropolis   profile verified by photo (M) 2 weeks ago

Last week I found a YouTube video of an engineer taking apart a smart meter. What he found was a little disturbing. One of the devices inside was a switch that can disconnect your power remotely. There have been reports of people getting phone calls from their supplier, saying (e.g.) We see that you're using too much power at tea time (there's a surprise) and saying that you must go on a more expensive tariff.

Only one thing can save power and that's the user.

*ordic-knight By *ordic-knight   premium paying member (M) 2 weeks ago

Can't help but feel that the tv ads are misleading and should be banned. I've tried to report it to Trading Standards but that is a performance and a half.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *rian2   profile verified by photo (M) 2 weeks ago

"Can't help but feel that the tv ads are misleading and should be banned. I've tried to report it to Trading Standards but that is a performance and a half."

Do keep trying!!

There are snouts in the trough somewhere.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *.London   profile verified by photo (M) 2 weeks ago

"Can't help but feel that the tv ads are misleading and should be banned. I've tried to report it to Trading Standards but that is a performance and a half."

You might want to try the Advertising Standards Authority? I don't think I'm allowed to put a direct link on here... Having said that, their abbreviation is asa and the have an org uk site...

"Can't help but feel that the tv ads are misleading and should be banned. I've tried to report it to Trading Standards but that is a performance and a half.

You might want to try the Advertising Standards Authority? I don't think I'm allowed to put a direct link on here... Having said that, their abbreviation is asa and the have an org uk site..."

Thank you. I have just found ASA and made a formal complaint.

By *inki fun  (M) 2 weeks ago

I have asked to be removed from the mailing list for a smart meter because I keep being pestered.

I wouldnt have one because of security issues. The idea that someone can monitor my usuage and know when I am not using any, such as when I am away...an open invitation to be burgled.

By (user no longer on site) 2 weeks ago

I've never heard such a load of scare-mongering nonsense in all my life! I had one fitted 2 years ago and guess what? My bills didn't sky-rocket - in fact they came down because I changed to a cheaper tariff with the same supplier. I've got no qualms about them being able to read my meter remotely - in fact I look upon that as a plus because I no longer get estimated bills as a result of missing the meter reader. Despite all the imaginary nonsense being bandied around by ill-informed people, these meters do NOT increase your bills, they're intended to help you manage your energy use. Instead of blaming Smart Meters, if you think it's costing too much then you've got two choices - either use less or change your supplier to one that gives you a better tariff.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *emused   profile verified by photo (M) 2 weeks ago

Glad you are happy with your smart meter but it will take a lot more than that to convince most of us!

Well I'm glad to hear someone finds their smart meter beneficial because I certainly don't. No one is more frugal than I am with energy usage yet this damned contraption is piling up the pounds at an alarming rate. I have tried to contact my energy supplier but if I email them they don't reply and if I try phoning them I get put in an endless queue.

*nowtop1 By *nowtop1  (M) 2 weeks ago

I had E-on call to fit a smart meter...i asked if they saved money...NO was his answer....they show you how much gas / electric you are using...and it is up to YOU to turn down the central heating ...so i turned down the Smart ( sic) meter...told by the engineer just keep the heating to 20° and you should be fine...so no they serve no purpose

XXX pic...
login to view
By *aked4u2   profile verified by photo (M) 2 weeks ago

"I had E-on call to fit a smart meter...i asked if they saved money...NO was his answer....they show you how much gas / electric you are using...and it is up to YOU to turn down the central heating ...so i turned down the Smart ( sic) meter...told by the engineer just keep the heating to 20° and you should be fine...so no they serve no purpose"

I have told E-on 3 times I am using my Right to refuse a Smart meter and if I get another phone call I will be informing them I will make an official complaint to the Energy Regulator Ofgem !

By *annyboy87  (M) 2 weeks ago

"I had E-on call to fit a smart meter...i asked if they saved money...NO was his answer....they show you how much gas / electric you are using...and it is up to YOU to turn down the central heating ...so i turned down the Smart ( sic) meter...told by the engineer just keep the heating to 20° and you should be fine...so no they serve no purpose

I have told E-on 3 times I am using my Right to refuse a Smart meter and if I get another phone call I will be informing them I will make an official complaint to the Energy Regulator Ofgem !"

mr naked

Do phone ofgem you will definitely not get anymore calls it’s what I did

*oyz By *oyz  (M) 2 weeks ago

its not difficult to send your reading direct from yr phone

*oyz By *oyz  (M) 2 weeks ago

bear in mind they can alter the charge rate at peak times as they can track your usage 24 hours a day. I know American smart meters can cut you off remotely I don't know about English meters

By (user no longer on site) 2 weeks ago

"Well I'm glad to hear someone finds their smart meter beneficial because I certainly don't. No one is more frugal than I am with energy usage yet this damned contraption is piling up the pounds at an alarming rate. I have tried to contact my energy supplier but if I email them they don't reply and if I try phoning them I get put in an endless queue."

I'm not saying it's beneficial, but I've not experienced any of the horror stories about them that have been posted on here. Bear in mind though that they aren't plug and play devices, they have to be set up properly by the installer when they're fitted. I had to get them back to mine a few days after the electric one was installed because it was set up wrong. Never had any problems with them since - and I've got smart meters for both gas and electric.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *agful4me  (M) 2 weeks ago

I had what was called a Smart meter fitted by Scottish Power...it did not work, from day one...was told by SP that an engineer would be back, was then told that the equipment fitted was faulty and another would be fitted shortly....that was 3 years ago.....I have switched power suppliers twice, since then...both companies wanted to fit Smart meters...neither ever did!...They appear to be Mythical beasts to me.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *evn7   profile verified by photo (M) 1 day ago

I had one fitted some time over a year ago by a Company I trusted. I have seen a marginal rise in costs, but probably just what was predicted. My biggest gripe is that it's really fiddly / difficult to take your own readings, and then it's just the current reading and no reference to the last reading that you were charged for. I wouldn't recommend them for that reason. At least when you sent in your own monthly readings, you could calculate a rough cost of what the bill will be.

Add a new message to this topic