New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login364862 members (3 yesterday), private messages

cottaging.co.uk > Forums > The lounge > At What Cost?

See newest message in thread

At What Cost?

XXX pic...
login to view
By *oondog   profile verified by photo (M) 26 weeks ago

@private mail, +add as contact

Today is the day the whole of the Catholic church contemplates at what cost the redemption of the human race was obtained.

The suffering, crucifixion and death of Christ are reflected on.

To everyone on the site, believer or not, I wish you a few days of peace and happiness at this time of starting afresh and rebirth.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

XXX pic...
login to view
By *hriscm9  (M) 26 weeks ago

Utter medieval crap.

*ordic-knight By *ordic-knight   premium paying member (M) 26 weeks ago

Thank you Moondog. I wish you a pleasant weekend.

By *ikey1973   profile verified by photo (M) 26 weeks ago

"Today is the day the whole of the Catholic church contemplates at what cost the redemption of the human race was obtained.

The suffering, crucifixion and death of Christ are reflected on.

To everyone on the site, believer or not, I wish you a few days of peace and happiness at this time of starting afresh and rebirth."

Fine sentiments whatever your beliefs.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *H23   profile verified by photo (M) 26 weeks ago

Easter isn’t just a Christian event,in fact it is a pagan event, just like Christmas, nothing to do with bible, but base on the the Pagan festival of Eostra.

But no matter what your beliefs, just enjoy the good weather

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ayMan007   profile verified by photo (M) 26 weeks ago

"Easter isn’t just a Christian event,in fact it is a pagan event, just like Christmas, nothing to do with bible, but base on the the Pagan festival of Eostra.

But no matter what your beliefs, just enjoy the good weather"

I think you've started in on your Easter celebrations (alcohol) a bit too early this year. "Easter is a festival and holiday commemorating the resurrection of Jesus from the dead, described in the New Testament as having occurred on the third day after his burial following his crucifixion by the Romans at Calvary c. 30 AD".

XXX pic...
login to view

I don't think anyone is claiming the celebrations at Easter are uniquely Christian.

There is a secular side to Easter.

I referred to the specific Catholic rituals, rites and beliefs around Easter.

Sometimes it's just appropriate to remind people of the Christian side of Easter which is nothing to do with rabbits, chocolate or eggs lol.

The wonderful thing is that because of Catholics primarily, there are two bank holidays and a period of respite for everyone even if you don't believe!

Enjoy!

"Easter isn’t just a Christian event,in fact it is a pagan event, just like Christmas, nothing to do with bible, but base on the the Pagan festival of Eostra.

But no matter what your beliefs, just enjoy the good weather"

Must admit I find it strange that we use the pagan word Easter when most countries use the more appropriate variation on the word Passion. Whatever date the first Christian Easter was were know that it coincided with the Jewish Passover and still does I believe.

Still enough about theology. I do agree with your other sentiment. Believe what you believe, enjoy the good weather and have a wonderful weekend one and all.

By *pheliaBalls  (M) 26 weeks ago

I think you've started in on your Easter celebrations (alcohol) a bit too early this year. "Easter is a festival and holiday commemorating the resurrection of Jesus from the dead, described in the New Testament as having occurred on the third day after his burial following his crucifixion by the Romans at Calvary c. 30 AD". "

Unfortunately Jesus did not rise from the dead.

The oldest manuscript of the New Testament, the Codex Sinaiticus, has the account of Jesus being crucified. BUT it stops at "the two Marys" finding the tomb empty [Mark 16] NO RESURECTION

The resurection was added much later by "enlightened people" [according to the Vatican.]

But enjoy your hot cross buns and chocolate eggs by all means.

XXX pic...
login to view

The early manuscripts do not contain 16:9-20 but they do contain 16:8 which confirms he is risen.

Ultimately it is what you believe the verses stand for rather than their absolute literal interpretation, these are articles of faith not reason.

It is a strength of the Catholic church that alternative meanings can be debated.

It's very much schrodinger's cat!

By *pheliaBalls  (M) 26 weeks ago

"The early manuscripts do not contain 16:9-20 but they do contain 16:8 which confirms he is risen.

Ultimately it is what you believe the verses stand for rather than their absolute literal interpretation, these are articles of faith not reason.

It is a strength of the Catholic church that alternative meanings can be debated.

It's very much schrodinger's cat!"

Finding the tomb empty does not "prove" Jesus has risen from the dead. The body could have been removed.

Falling back on FAITH [the ability to believe something without evidence] is every religions answer.

XXX pic...
login to view

16:8 contains the young man's testimony that he is risen.

You are entitled to believe it or not but the wording of Mark 16:8 which has been accepted by the Catholic church is not really open to debate as its widely published.

Christian believers don't fall back on faith. Faith is something you have or not it's not a thing of last resort actually it's a thing of first resort for many Christians.

It is of course possible that if you believe the events happened at all, that the body could have been removed.

We'll never know but the context for many allows them faith to believe there was a resurrection.

There are others who don't believe the resurrection is anything but a metaphor.

Perhaps you should ask St Peter, if you ever get the chance!

Hopefully long in the future and with peace and good wishes.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ayMan007   profile verified by photo (M) 26 weeks ago

I think you've started in on your Easter celebrations (alcohol) a bit too early this year. "Easter is a festival and holiday commemorating the resurrection of Jesus from the dead, described in the New Testament as having occurred on the third day after his burial following his crucifixion by the Romans at Calvary c. 30 AD". Unfortunately Jesus did not rise from the dead.

The oldest manuscript of the New Testament, the Codex Sinaiticus, has the account of Jesus being crucified. BUT it stops at "the two Marys" finding the tomb empty [Mark 16] NO RESURECTION

The resurection was added much later by "enlightened people" [according to the Vatican.]

But enjoy your hot cross buns and chocolate eggs by all means."

Jesus DID rise from the dead.

which many scholars now agree that the “codex sinaiticus” is a hoax.

In it the resurrection does appear in all four gospels… However there is a part of mark that is “missing” this really isn’t news. Most modern bibles note that some manuscripts don’t include the end. The codex itself is something scholars have had access to for some time, although it was split up. It’s not actually that old compared to many of the other manuscripts (4th century vs 1st Century). The media has reported poorly on this.

By *ikey1973   profile verified by photo (M) 26 weeks ago

It’s a part of history which will never be proven or disproven.

Those who believe will be certain of events.

Those who don’t believe will dismiss the events unless they see evidence.

No harm done. We are free to believe or disbelieve and this does not affect our friendships or our desires for good in the world.

Can't argue with the sensible post by Mikey1973 above. We are free to believe or disbelieve and should respect each other and enjoy life. I have very good friends who are atheists and very good friends who are deeply religious but no conflict as far as I'm concerned.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ollydee  (M) 26 weeks ago

You can argue all day long about religion as we all know. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. in some countries, in certain countries though religion is taken to extremes as we are aware. I am a non believer although I do believe there are others in our many, many galaxies even though there is no proof of that, its just the law of averages in my opinion.

XXX pic...
login to view
By  *ountain    profile verified by photo premium paying member (M) 26 weeks ago

Easter isnt just for Christmas.

XXX pic...
login to view

I agree entirely with Mikey and NK.

There is room for believers and non-believers and there's no reason why there should be any animosity.

Happy Easter!

XXX pic...
login to view
By *hriscm9  (M) 26 weeks ago

How correct you are.

*usansilkysubcd By *usansilkysubcd  (TV/TS/CD) 26 weeks ago

I don’t have any animosity towards people who believe in God etc, just sheer amazement that in the Modern world people still believe in this stuff.

XXX pic...
login to view

"I don’t have any animosity towards people who believe in God etc, just sheer amazement that in the Modern world people still believe in this stuff."

The modern world has created more inequality and suffering than any other period.

There's never been more need of spiritual guidance and science only opens up more questions than answers.

*Ybear By *Ybear  (M) 26 weeks ago

I would disagree that there is more suffering as fewer people are starving in the world and there is a lot less war than at any time in the history of the world.

Yes there is a lot more inequality but that is the price you pay for success in a capitalist system, there were societies that were much more equal such as Cambodia under Pol Pot or Maoist China but I don’t think I would prefer them.

As for science creating more questions than answers you are right, you can’t ask questions about sub atomic particles if you don’t know they exist. The more we know the more questions we find.

The Gospel according to St Thomas (doubting Thomas) was deliberately left out of the bible because it did not agree on the resurrection. There were twelve disciples but only four made it into the bible, selective editing by the early church.

XXX pic...
login to view

The ancient world had billions fewer people than there are now and suffering, starvation and poverty were defined in a very different way.

You interpret my comments as economic inequality but that's not the most important aspect.

Every organisation of humans edits, not only the church which after all is fallible (except one individual at certain times lol).

Social media edits more savagely than at any other period I would warrant.

Easter peace to all!

*Ybear By *Ybear  (M) 26 weeks ago

The examples I gave were less about economics and more about thought and choices. Pol pot targeted teachers and doctors so everyone was equally uneducated they also restricted books and freedom of speech so people could only think one way. Sadly we are seeing encroaching censorship in the West now.

Freedom of religion is one of the fundamental rights we take for granted but that is not the case everywhere, and we must carefully guard against those who say only their way is right and people with different thoughts must not be allowed to spread their “evil ideas”.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *arwick  (M) 25 weeks ago

I read so many funny, respectful or thoughtful comments on here. But how sad to see that the first response to the OP was so unnecessarily rude.

Anyone who recognises that I may not believe in their own faith, but nevertheless wishes me 'well', is welcome to do so and I won't throw it back in their face.

On the various bilbical arguments, Radio 4 has a podcast about the Dead Sea scrolls in which an expert says that, when he is asked about the Bible, his reply always starts with 'Which one?', reflecting the fact that there are many versions; all written by man, all subject to 'errors in translation' and none written within two to three hundred years of the events they are describing.

By *orum reader  (M) 25 weeks ago

Happy Easter to all of you whatever your beliefs

Add a new message to this topic