New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login364605 members (1 yesterday), private messages

cottaging.co.uk > Forums > The lounge > Capt Tom

See newest message in thread

Capt Tom

*orum reader By *orum reader  (M) 22 weeks ago

@private mail, +add as contact

What a fantastic achievement for the 99 year old to raise £12 m and counting

He certainly got the interest going and has been successful in his plan to walk 100 laps of his garden

If we are going to continue with the honours system he should receive some recognition ( I'm sure there will be lots of people getting extra honours)

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

XXX pic...
login to view
By *itstop2   profile verified by photo (M) 22 weeks ago

"What a fantastic achievement for the 99 year old to raise £12 m and counting

He certainly got the interest going and has been successful in his plan to walk 100 laps of his garden

If we are going to continue with the honours system he should receive some recognition ( I'm sure there will be lots of people getting extra honours)"

Totally agree, pity there aren't more like him

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ollydee   premium paying member (M) 22 weeks ago

Legend.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *oondog   profile verified by photo (M) 22 weeks ago

He is a hero, and not for the first time in his life!

By *eros54  (M) 22 weeks ago

Im sure it has brought him a lot of happiness too. It’s his birthday soon

Yes a true legend.

*ordic-knight By *ordic-knight   premium paying member (M) 22 weeks ago

He is a true celebrity. So difference from the usual so-called celebrities, A real legend and a true gentleman

*orum reader By *orum reader  (M) 20 weeks ago

Happy birthday capt Tom well done

*etropolis By *etropolis   profile verified by photo (M) 20 weeks ago

Happy Birthday Tom. Your achievements have been beyond miraculous. If only more people in this world were like you.

*ordic-knight By *ordic-knight   premium paying member (M) 20 weeks ago

"Happy Birthday Tom. Your achievements have been beyond miraculous. If only more people in this world were like you."

Agree 100% with those sentiments. A true gentle and a real celebrity.

Happy Birthday Sir

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ollydee   premium paying member (M) 20 weeks ago

Colonel Tom if you don't mind, happy Birthday.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *cousedpw   profile verified by photo (M) 20 weeks ago

"Colonel Tom if you don't mind, happy Birthday."

I'm really pleased that The Queen gave him that honour. I'm sure that he appreciates it more than a knighthood. It just shows what someone with imagination can do.

Such a shame that the charity portal that he used is taking their cut.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *reatedbear   profile verified by photo (M) 20 weeks ago

Well done Colonel Tom. Last week, Tom said, modestly, "I'm just doing my bit". The other night 'celebrity' Gemma Collins said the same thing on her dreadful tv programme. Really Miss Collins, are you? Are you really "doing your bit"?

XXX pic...
login to view
By *oondog   profile verified by photo (M) 20 weeks ago

I wish they made him an honorary Major!

We could have had endless fun with ground control to Major Tom.

He's such a great good news story!

Moondog, I did hear, either on Facebook or YouTube or something similar a spoof version of Bowie's song entitled "ground control to Captain Tom". It was very well done, amusing and very complimentary to the gentleman. I'm delighted the way the military have honoured him but I do think a knighthood would be appropriate. Far better than handing them out willy-nilly to bogus politicians, civil servants and fading pop stars.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *oondog   profile verified by photo (M) 20 weeks ago

"Moondog, I did hear, either on Facebook or YouTube or something similar a spoof version of Bowie's song entitled "ground control to Captain Tom". It was very well done, amusing and very complimentary to the gentleman. I'm delighted the way the military have honoured him but I do think a knighthood would be appropriate. Far better than handing them out willy-nilly to bogus politicians, civil servants and fading pop stars."

Yes I agree, he's really given people a boost of morale

*iversideBottom By *iversideBottom  (M) 20 weeks ago

I'm sick of hearing about him

"I'm sick of hearing about him "

Well don't listen then Mr Grumpy

XXX pic...
login to view

Cant believe some people can you, it is called fighting spirit, the same he had 1n 1939, God Bless him I say.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *udekeith  (M) 20 weeks ago

"I'm sick of hearing about him "

So go out and raise more money than he did - that will give us a chance to be sick of you!

"I'm sick of hearing about him

So go out and raise more money than he did - that will give us a chance to be sick of you!"

You are missing the point but from your contribution I am not surprised.

*etropolis By *etropolis   profile verified by photo (M) 20 weeks ago

Would you be sick of hearing about him if some of his money saved your life?

XXX pic...
login to view
By *udekeith  (M) 20 weeks ago

So go out and raise more money than he did - that will give us a chance to be sick of you!

You are missing the point but from your contribution I am not surprised."

The only point you made was that you were sick of hearing about him - I didn’t miss that at all.

By *esperate jon  (M) 20 weeks ago

I've nothing but admiration for the old chap who only wanted to raise a grand but ended up 31 million. Were the money will go we don't know but don't forget he did not the government and deserves alot more recognition for what he did. I can see the guy's miff for his comments but it's the wrong place to make such a crass comment on this site,

You are missing the point but from your contribution I am not surprised."

Perhaps you should try and explain your 'point'. We mere mortals just see what you have said as a totally uncalled for and crass statement.

XXX pic...
login to view

The point is, over 30 million people wouldn't agree with his point.

Perhaps you should try and explain your 'point'. We mere mortals just see what you have said as a totally uncalled for and crass statement.

I did not personalise my statement. I did not say anything negative about Col/Capt Tom or of his contribution towards the situation. I simply said I was sick of hearing about him as though he is the only person (or so it seems to me) that has done something special. He walked around his garden..........This has got out of proportion in my opinion.

"

Of course you have every right to have an opinion. But sometimes it is better to keep those opinions to yourself

*astkenter By *astkenter  (M) 20 weeks ago

I did not personalise my statement. I did not say anything negative about Col/Capt Tom or of his contribution towards the situation. I simply said I was sick of hearing about him as though he is the only person (or so it seems to me) that has done something special. He walked around his garden..........This has got out of proportion in my opinion.

"

I understand your point. I admire the man as he always comes across as modest and dignified. I always admire people who do something to raise funds, but I also acknowledge that the people who donate are possibly more worthy of praise. It is their donations that actually make a difference, but good on him for doing what he could and attracting enough attention to bring in many millions in donations.

"Of course you have every right to have an opinion. But sometimes it is better to keep those opinions to yourself"

In your opinion.

"Of course you have every right to have an opinion. But sometimes it is better to keep those opinions to yourself

In your opinion."

Correct it is my opinion but you don't seem to be getting much support on here

Expressing an opinion and getting a lot of support on here are two totally different things. More support for a particular opinion does not mean it is right or that someone with a different opinion is wrong.

"Expressing an opinion and getting a lot of support on here are two totally different things. More support for a particular opinion does not mean it is right or that someone with a different opinion is wrong."

Don't you ever give up having to contradict everything I say? No wonder you are known as the forum bore.

"Expressing an opinion and getting a lot of support on here are two totally different things. More support for a particular opinion does not mean it is right or that someone with a different opinion is wrong."

Well said!

Known as that by you. No, I don't have to contradict everything you say, just when it is illogical. I would respectfully suggest that anyone on here who judges the value of their opinions by the amount of overt support they receive has a self-esteem issue. All opinions are valid and should not be judged on the support they receive, especially on a forum such as this where a very limited number of people are involved. Confident, mature people will alter their opinions on the basis of facts and evidence and their own experience and not on the basis of the amount of support they receive. But if support on here helps boost your ego, enjoy it.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *nello  (M) 20 weeks ago

If we are going to continue with the honours system he should receive some recognition ( I'm sure there will be lots of people getting extra honours)"

As for me he is a legend and did more than clapping ....

Our govt must see what people can do and some companies.... coz our govt ‘did what they can’..... it mean, they cannot do anything... my opinion...

Captain Tom is a power that unites people and gives inspiration and hope.... (defo not speaches bla bla bla of our govt).... I love action, clear and redultful... and he did this - he deserves recognition as national hero

*9al By *9al  (M) 20 weeks ago

Captain Tom has been one good news story when there has been no shortage of bad news

XXX pic...
login to view

"Captain Tom has been one good news story when there has been no shortage of bad news "

"Captain Tom has been one good news story when there has been no shortage of bad news "

XXX pic...
login to view
By *pence  (M) 20 weeks ago

respect to tom, i aint taking nothing from him. i have nothing but respect for that generation and everything they did. so dont get that wrong. im pretty sure most would be turning in their graves at the sorry state the UK has become.

but the way i saw all that was NHS falling apart, idiots clapping like seals for boris

his ass needed a damn good excuse to disappear off to checkers for 3 weeks holiday during a pandemic. dont forget an MP got sacked for going to her holiday home. so he needed something spectacular.

so one minute he is ill, next he is better but slight fever, next intensive care. then totally recovered, thank you NHS all clap for boris again

pisses off to checkers in a car with his new born straight after coming out of hospital which is the most contaminated place during corona. even i would have quarantined from my own new born. now everyone is on lockdown, planes still coming in from infected countries unchecked. not even a thermometer.

no PPE NHS staff and people dying left right and centre. no one dying of anything else other than corona anymore. even though 600 die daily in the UK on average.

lets parade tom around as a massive distraction. yeah its a nice story amongst all the BS. but thats all it was.

im so tired of it all.

Spence for that post I give you a standing ovation!! Thank-you for saying what a hell of alot of people are thinking and totally fucked off with what Boris has created. I've a friend who's a nurse and finds the clap thing patronising as she's only doing her job. And as for the Boris illness dont get her started as she said everyone thinks trump is fake then Boris deserves an oscar for his 3 day stay to rest as pressure of job got to him. That's all it was as if he did have covid 19 he'll still be in that hospital but some on the site says I'm wrong?? 3 days really!!!

XXX pic...
login to view

"respect to tom, i aint taking nothing from him. i have nothing but respect for that generation and everything they did. so dont get that wrong. im pretty sure most would be turning in their graves at the sorry state the UK has become.

but the way i saw all that was NHS falling apart, idiots clapping like seals for boris

his ass needed a damn good excuse to disappear off to checkers for 3 weeks holiday during a pandemic. dont forget an MP got sacked for going to her holiday home. so he needed something spectacular.

so one minute he is ill, next he is better but slight fever, next intensive care. then totally recovered, thank you NHS all clap for boris again

pisses off to checkers in a car with his new born straight after coming out of hospital which is the most contaminated place during corona. even i would have quarantined from my own new born. now everyone is on lockdown, planes still coming in from infected countries unchecked. not even a thermometer.

no PPE NHS staff and people dying left right and centre. no one dying of anything else other than corona anymore. even though 600 die daily in the UK on average.

lets parade tom around as a massive distraction. yeah its a nice story amongst all the BS. but thats all it was.

im so tired of it all.

"

Always curious, where people clapped for BJ? In my area I haven’t seen or heard that someone did.... also in areas of my friends....

I think this is stupid to clap for a person... there are always people who deserve and need this more... stupid

We all tired Or, made to be exhausted.... I don’t know

I thought this was a thread about Capt Tom Moore and his brilliant achievement. Suddenly it is being turned into a political thread. At least two of the culprits are fully aware that there is a politics forum so perhaps you should stick to that.

"respect to tom, i aint taking nothing from him. i have nothing but respect for that generation and everything they did. so dont get that wrong. im pretty sure most would be turning in their graves at the sorry state the UK has become.

im so tired of it all.

"

I think a lot of people would now agree with you but will be fearful to say so as it doesn't fit with the current virtue-signalling. I'm sure, or at least hope, all those heaping words of admiration on Col Tom have backed up their words with a donation to the cause. Being the unassuming, dignified gentleman that he clearly is, I reckon that is what he would prefer.

XXX pic...
login to view

"I thought this was a thread about Capt Tom Moore and his brilliant achievement. Suddenly it is being turned into a political thread. At least two of the culprits are fully aware that there is a politics forum so perhaps you should stick to that."

I understand your opinion. My is - even he was used, unwillingly, for politics....

But my opinion about him you read above.

Promise not boring forum with my opinions

XXX pic...
login to view
By *pence  (M) 20 weeks ago

i apologise if i spoke out of place. like i said not my intention to take from the man.

yeah i definitely came off political. apologies.

Yes _pence I'll also apologise for bringing politics into it, it was what I read in your post and having a bad day I was letting off steam. Capt Tom I salute him as I said in the feed and apologies to you for the flack you may have received from others. Maybe you should repost the post in the politics forum as then the arguments start ha ha...

By *eros54  (M) 20 weeks ago

"Yes _pence I'll also apologise for bringing politics into it, it was what I read in your post and having a bad day I was letting off steam. Capt Tom I salute him as I said in the feed and apologies to you for the flack you may have received from others. Maybe you should repost the post in the politics forum as then the arguments start ha ha..."

Why would you want arguments to start? Surely it would be more beneficial to have adult discussions whether on politics or any other subject.

Captain Tom has been amazing and you can just imagine what a great guy he is. I would love to meet him.

By *eros54  (M) 20 weeks ago

By *eyley  (M) 20 weeks ago

Clapping hands as a tribute to what he has achieved and not in a 'patronising' way. Well done sir!

Add a new message to this topic