New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login364563 members (4 yesterday), private messages

cottaging.co.uk > Forums > The lounge > Cottaging Dying Off?

See newest message in thread

Cottaging Dying Off?

XXX pic...
login to view
By *atinesque  (M) 1 week ago

@private mail, +add as contact

From all that I've read, here, and all that I've heard from folk (online and offline), I'm led to believe that cottaging is a dying (no strings attached) system, in Britain. If that's true, then...why would it be dying off, at all?

Could it be guys preferring to meet online? In a way, that's still cottaging. Before the Net came along, was cottaging doing much better?

In a sense, it's like some dying art, or custom.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *otoned  (M) 1 week ago

"

From all that I've read, here, and all that I've heard from folk (online and offline), I'm led to believe that cottaging is a dying (no strings attached) system, in Britain. If that's true, then...why would it be dying off, at all?

Could it be guys preferring to meet online? In a way, that's still cottaging. Before the Net came along, was cottaging doing much better?

Cottaging is dying because all the cottages have either been closed or are going to be

"

By *eros54  (M) 1 week ago

"

Cottaging is dying because all the cottages have either been closed or are going to be

"

Nothing worse than putting it in the wrong place

You are right that a vast number the cottages (public loos) have been closed and others are designed in such a way as to make anything sexual very awkward. There is the added problem that cottaging in public loos is now illegal and a specific offence.

The lovely brick built toilets with holes in the walls and plenty of privacy are practically non existent.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *reatedbear   profile verified by photo (M) 1 week ago

I grew up in the 70s and 80s when cottaging was THE thing. Every town had random 'public conveniences' and these tended to be used for gay men to meet and have hurried and casual sex. In my home town of Tamworth there were 8 public toilets and all but one had a glory gole, be it in the door of a cubicle or in the wall between 2 cubicles. This was in the days before online came along and was really the only place to meet. Sure, there was the odd gay bar or club, here and there but they tended to be in cities. They were difficult to escape to, particularly for married men, who, could go to a cottage and get a blow job or give one, while they were out 'walking the dog' or 'popping to the offy for a packet of fags'. The 80s saw a change...councils saying that they cost too much to keep clean, although they were seldom cleaned anyway...a lot of cottages were grubby, seedy places...never any loo roll, taps that didn't work and some (wonderfully) had no working lights...oh, the days of beng in the local cottage at pub chucking out time..no lights and all you could hear was guys groaning and "ooh, yeah's" The truth was that it was a well known thing that public loos were used for this activity and slowly, with the help of the British Right wing govt, they were locked up or demolished. Nowadays, public loos tend to be in shopping centres, heavily cameraed and clean...note those boards on the door that are signed by the cleaner every half an hour. That's where you go for a wee and if not, you pop in to Witherspoons or the big supermarket, again, all clean and security supervised. It still goes on but no where near to the extent it did years ago. Back in those days, there wasn;t an awful lot of trouble but these days, if these cottages were still open and busy, they would be havens for muggers and trouble makers. A website (no names but it begins with a S and ends with a T and has quir in the middle, has a section dedicated to hook up venues. There are saunas, parks, sex cinemas and cottages but the cottage section has declined over the last couple of years. I found a couple of old style cottages listed that had glory holes..one just outside Kidderminster and another in Ahbourne, Derbyshire. I drove quite a few times to them and it was a fair distance for me, but the buzz was brill...sitting in the car, waiting, and then some action. Both cottages are now gone. There really aren't any around that hark back to the old days. I really wish there were!

By *urrysqueeze  (M) 1 week ago

Never done cottaging - so far - but a friend who used to cabby pointed me, in trips before last March, to dozens of P.C.'s in North London he had fun in from the mid '70's to the Millenium or he would have done had 80 to 90% of them not been closed/ demolished since. He told me of a similar blight on main road lay-by toilet blocks in Southern England & an entire rest site at Junction 18 M4 (he thinks some cruising does still go on via a lay-by on the passing A46).

The web with it's alternative platforms for meeting has bound to have had some effect on 'traditional' cottaging as well as it being specifically illegal.

*ordic-knight By *ordic-knight   premium paying member (M) 1 week ago

Also never been cottaging in my life. A bit intrigued by it but never actually done it. Fear of being caught and dirty, smelly toilets have always put me off. Now it would be difficult as there are so few left. Councils have closed nearly all the rural layby/truck stop ones and they are few and far between in towns. In fact a lot of smaller towns no longer has public toilets at all. When I was running my hotel I was forever getting 'desperate' people asking if they could use the loo. On things like carnival days or festivals there was a general agreement that pubs, hotels, cafes etc would allow the public to use their toilet facilities but, obviously, not for sex.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *nobmuncher21  (M) 1 week ago

I came across cottaging just by mistake really despite being gay when I was at the running club in London and out for a 10 mile run and discovered down by factory road, canning town E16 there was a small cottage which was next to a small park and went in for a piss .. to discover about 6 lorry drivers parked up all with their cocks out and/or being sucked and of course it was a delight to join in. The problem with it can be addictive but the buzz and having spunk stained trousers or underwear was immense .. so I used to go jogging and then finding them but I did get mugged in one of them and that wasn't a nice experience to be set upon by two big builder blokes .. so a word of caution there. Some are still in existence the one I found to be particularly good is babbacombe down by the green and it sets just down with a beautiful view of the sea .. its very 1950's with the original urinals and toilets with high flushes but jogging there in the early mornings whilst on holiday was pretty good .. most married guys out for a walk before breakfast to find their cocks in very much demand for oral work. Is the internet better well its questionable because at the cottage you met the person to decide whether you wanted to wank or not whereas on here it can be difficult as folk show old photos and then are not truthful about their age. Yes if you can find a good cottage then its worthwhile.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ldbidogger  (M) 1 week ago

Ah, the days in the 70s and 80s when I could pop out "for a drink" in the evening or pretend I was going to a meeting. Instead I would stand in a dimly lit cottage cubicle with my jeans down and suspenders, stockings and panties on underneath, wanking myself knowing that someone would soon come in, gently push the unlocked door open and finish me off.

Now the roles are reversed and it's me that wants to find others like that. Thank goodness there are still car parks and woods!

XXX pic...
login to view
By *atinesque  (M) 7 days ago

The entire history of cottaging, in the UK, should be turned into a long, detailed and lovingly crafted series of books - but..."fiction" or "non-fiction"? It's hard to say which would be better, but comedy would have a huge part to play in it!

*roypup By *roypup   profile verified by photo (M) 7 days ago

Even car parks and woods are not safe these days... when someone goes missing from home, a relative calls the police, and if there’s woods in the vicinity the police search as much as they can of the woods. If they find evidence the woods are more active, then after they find the missing person then those woods will be on their radar to check more often, especially now they’re on a mission to see that you’re not flouting the Covid rules

By *eros54  (M) 7 days ago

Local police know more about the cruising venues and who frequents them than some think. It's so easy to log onto internet sites listing where homosexuals go and even messages onl8bevsayingbwhen they will be there. Anyone driving past these sites can usually work out which cars belong to the guys cruising.

The police generally have no problem with guys cruising and would rather let them get on with it but it's members of the public who complain about lewd behaviour or old tissues and condoms lying around. Complaints have to be dealt with.

*ordic-knight By *ordic-knight   premium paying member (M) 7 days ago

I agree with Neros54. The police often turn a blind eye to such things as cottaging or cruising providing no one is being hurt or offended. Of course you might get a few zealous, homophobic police who want to stamp it out but by and large they are not too bothered.

The biggest problem is the behavior of the participants in cruising. Indiscretion, blatant exhibitionism and leaving cruising sites untidy attracts complaint and then the police have to act.

*iversideBottom By *iversideBottom  (M) 7 days ago

I remember when I lived in SE London there was (and still is) an underground toilet near the Cutty Sark. The only time i used it was an eye opener for me as to my amazement the guy weeing next to me grabbed my cock. The next time I was passing the toilets there was a policeman outside which apparently became the norm but I think it was probably due more to such 'homosexual' behaviour being complained about by the tourists albeit some may have visited for such an attraction as opposed to visiting an old tea clipper and/or Gypsy Moth. Haha.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *eedude   profile verified by photo (M) 7 days ago

yes I think it is dying off true cottaging was in the old public toilets,most are closed down so everything has tobe done online,and right now with this covid thing on going,I cannot see that going very far sadly

XXX pic...
login to view

yes I think it is dying off true cottaging was in the old public toilets,most are closed down so everything has tobe done online,and right now with this covid thing on going,I cannot see that going very far sadly

XXX pic...
login to view

Sorry for the double post

XXX pic...
login to view
By  *iverpoolCumFun    profile verified by photo premium paying member (M) 7 days ago

I just about managed to catch the tail-end of the cottaging scene in the Preston area until around 2007 when there were still several cottages still open. I've seen recently on another website that one of those cottages has reopened. I've also discovered two not far from where I live now. All three locations are proper public toilets, one in a park and the other two in a town centre location. I cannot wait 'till we get our freedom back to visit these places, if they remain open that is. Just before the lockdown, I went to the one of the town centre ones and had a bit of fun and was taken back to the good old days.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *yra  (TV/TS/CD) 7 days ago

This cottage only closed with the pandemic. The old porcelain urinals were in quite a state, and they did a cheap makeover a few years ago. I only ever saw one crossdresser there standing in a cubicle fully ‘dressed’. I often wore stockings and a thong. There was always someone looking for action.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *yra  (TV/TS/CD) 7 days ago

There was a wonderful park cottage near Streatham that had 3 cubicles and an L shaped urinal. The first 2 cubicles had a large Glory hole, but this time I was in the 3rd, wearing stockings, half basque and suspenders. I lightly pushed my door open to see a tall guy in his fifties wearing a long raincoat. Tucked under his arm was a newspaper. As he turned to look, his newspaper dropped to the floor!

By the way, I still wear stockings or suspender tights and thongs whenever I can, which sadly isn’t that often.

By *otlad86  (M) 3 days ago

dying its been dead for years

XXX pic...
login to view
By *pentolots  (M) 3 days ago

certainly isnt dead in norfolk/suffolk. i know a few toilets where youre almost guaranteed a cock up you.

By *udemale42   profile verified by photo (M) 3 days ago

Between 2008 and 2013 I lived 5 minutes walk from a park with a public loo. I heard rumours that you could get some action there. I'd also seen news reports of muggings and 2 assaults on women in that park. I walked passed there a lot at night and didn't see anything but still didn't risk going in.

*essa_M By  *essa_M    profile verified by photo premium paying member (TV/TS/CD) 3 days ago

"I came across cottaging just by mistake really despite being gay when I was at the running club in London and out for a 10 mile run and discovered down by factory road, canning town E16 there was a small cottage which was next to a small park and went in for a piss .. to discover about 6 lorry drivers parked up all with their cocks out and/or being sucked and of course it was a delight to join in. The problem with it can be addictive but the buzz and having spunk stained trousers or underwear was immense .. so I used to go jogging and then finding them but I did get mugged in one of them and that wasn't a nice experience to be set upon by two big builder blokes .. so a word of caution there. Some are still in existence the one I found to be particularly good is babbacombe down by the green and it sets just down with a beautiful view of the sea .. its very 1950's with the original urinals and toilets with high flushes but jogging there in the early mornings whilst on holiday was pretty good .. most married guys out for a walk before breakfast to find their cocks in very much demand for oral work. Is the internet better well its questionable because at the cottage you met the person to decide whether you wanted to wank or not whereas on here it can be difficult as folk show old photos and then are not truthful about their age. Yes if you can find a good cottage then its worthwhile. "

Haven’t been down Babbacombe way for years. I discovered that place on my first visit to Torquay. Stayed at a little hotel not at all far from that cottage. I am glad to hear it’s still there. I think when all this pandemic stuff is over a wee weekend in Babbacombe may just be the tonic needed

XXX pic...
login to view
By *arwick  (M) 2 days ago

Unfortunately, I did not know about cottaging until after 2000 (or about the sex going on in my commuter trains between Clapham and Victoria, that someone else wrote on here about recently!) But, despite having discovered and enjoyed them, I can't blame councils for closing them. In my own experience, one was shut in response to an idiot coming out of a cubicle naked only to be seen by a child, and another had four police officers outside when I arrived because a kiddie had just walked in on some 'action' while his dad waited outside.

I remain astonished by what can go on in some toilets that remain open. At a mainline London underground facility, men openly wank at the urinals and fondle each other, apparently however busy it gets and despite a particularly open layout. Given that the majority of people there must be straight passengers passing through, I wonder what they make of seeing people do this. In a way, thank goodness they tolerate it, but why do they?

By *ontius  (M) 6 hours ago

Care to share the underground facility in question, either in here or via DM. Always good to know where I might be able to get some fun when all this is over and I can spend a few days in London

XXX pic...
login to view
By *hrislikesmen  (M) 4 hours ago

Councils are making their toilets cottaging proof now.

Much as I love the smell, the ambience and the sex of a cottage, there is a certain sense to this.

Public conveniences are just that: a convenient place for a member of the public to have a pee or a pooh. The thinking is that they should do this in peace.

And now it is a specific offence in law as well which makes it doubly doubtful that we should be carrying out any sex acts there.

there is an excitement to a cottage: the thought that you may meet a random stranger that will fulfil your wishes; the thrill of being naked or dressed in semi privacy and the sheer danger of the location.

I'm not for stopping anyone cottaging. the pull of the toilet is quite strong, it's a shared experience in our closeted community.

I guess you pay your money and you take your chance. That the chance is loaded against you nowadays is just a sign of our changing society.

Add a new message to this topic