New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login365115 members (6 yesterday), private messages

cottaging.co.uk > Forums > Politics > is it true we have to 40bn to get out of eu?

See newest message in thread

is it true we have to 40bn to get out of eu?

By *annyboy87  (M)  over a year ago

@private mail, +add as contact

If it true that we have to pay eu £40bn to leave why is this ?

Why are we getting fleeced/robbed just because we as a nation don't want in

My opinion is if this is true shouldn't be allowed

Reply privately (thread closed by moderator)

*hris51234 By  *hris51234    profile verified by photo premium paying member (M)  over a year ago

No it is not true we have to pay the eu £40 bn to leave.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *sunamiwarrior   profile verified by photo (M)  over a year ago

"No it is not true we have to pay the eu £40 bn to leave."

-

The EU hasn’t officially asked for any particular sum of money but does say that “the United Kingdom must honour its share of the financing of all the obligations undertaken while it was a member”.

The media is just a lot of hot air and speculation.

By *orsetsub  (M)  over a year ago

In Theresa May's speexh in Florence she said the UK was prepared to pay an exit bill of £20 billion. This was rejected by the EU and they have stated unless this figure is improved upon, the talks cannot proceed to discuss trade deals.

"In Theresa May's speexh in Florence she said the UK was prepared to pay an exit bill of £20 billion. This was rejected by the EU and they have stated unless this figure is improved upon, the talks cannot proceed to discuss trade deals. "

so it is true after all typical of some on here

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Dorset sub, read the WHOLE speech and in the manner of a start of the amount the Government is prepared to pay......it WAS NOT A take it or leave it figure.

"Dorset sub, read the WHOLE speech and in the manner of a start of the amount the Government is prepared to pay......it WAS NOT A take it or leave it figure."

I never said the £20 billion figure mentioned by May was take it or leave just that the EU have not accepted £20 billion as an acceptable amount to pay and they want more before talks can proceed onto trade deals. To date, the UK negotiators have not offered more, but it is fully expected they will soon

By *heshire baldie  (M)  over a year ago

"No it is not true we have to pay the eu £40 bn to leave.

-

The EU hasn’t officially asked for any particular sum of money but does say that “the United Kingdom must honour its share of the financing of all the obligations undertaken while it was a member”.

The media is just a lot of hot air and speculation."

I agree, we should honour our promises - otherwise we are worthless.

I agree that we honour all our fiscal obligations but having said that, we should not be deliberately fleeced either. I think that the negotiations will turn into brinkmanship with the weakest caving in first. The only advantage we have, if it is an advantage, is if negotiations do flounder then its a hard Brexit, resulting in the EU gaining nothing

"No it is not true we have to pay the eu £40 bn to leave.

-

The media is just a lot of hot air and speculation."

does make sense you pay for what you owe

"I agree that we honour all our fiscal obligations but having said that, we should not be deliberately fleeced either. I think that the negotiations will turn into brinkmanship with the weakest caving in first. The only advantage we have, if it is an advantage, is if negotiations do flounder then its a hard Brexit, resulting in the EU gaining nothing"

we offered 20 million so tell them take it or leave it

dorset guy, here is the section in which Mrs May said "Still I do not want our partners to fear that they will need to pay more or receive less over the remainder of the current budget plan as a result of our decision to leave. The UK will honour commitments we have made during the period of our membership".

We have 43 years of pensions and other liabilities to discuss and I suspect this will be done near the end rather than now.

*avid93111 By *avid93111  (M)  over a year ago

We could walk away, and pay nothing, they need us more than we need them, it,s just because of their stupid attitude that people voted to leave, we have had enough of being told what we can and cannot do by largely unelected pillocks

Give them £40 billion out of the HS2 fund and then abandon HS2 - it's not going to make any difference to normal people anyway.

"Give them £40 billion out of the HS2 fund and then abandon HS2 - it's not going to make any difference to normal people anyway."

what is a normal person

have you written that just for the sake of writing something instead of making a CONTRIBUTION to the thread?

Not making a point, just saying

"have you written that just for the sake of writing something instead of making a CONTRIBUTION to the thread?

Not making a point, just saying "

what just like did

I was curious what you class as normal person,

"have you written that just for the sake of writing something instead of making a CONTRIBUTION to the thread?

Not making a point, just saying "

no just making a point of belittling me more like as you have nothing to add just saying

XXX pic...
login to view

Not making a point, just saying no just making a point of belittling me more like as you have nothing to add just saying "

-

I think you are being unfair dannyboy. When criticised you have frequently said you like to listen to advice and others should politely say where you are going wrong and yet dozens of posters are telling you the same thing (over and over as the did on previous occasions when you have been on the site) - forget your silly snatched headlines and write your own thoughts! The way you use the threads makes each subject more about you than the actual intended subject.

Or maybe you should stand for parliament lol.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *eg1234  (M)  over a year ago

Reading these posts in this new section of the forum and in general life it seems most people have no idea on the realities of Europe. The utter rubbish that continues to go around about France and Germany lording it over Britain is amazing, no understanding of constitutional law or European law. Do not form an opinion then just read tabloid paper headlines to confirm you are correct.

Not making a point, just saying no just making a point of belittling me more like as you have nothing to add just saying

-

I think you are being unfair dannyboy. When criticised you have frequently said you like to listen to advice and others should politely say where you are going wrong and yet dozens of posters are telling you the same thing (over and over as the did on previous occasions when you have been on the site) - forget your silly snatched headlines and write your own thoughts! The way you use the threads makes each subject more about you than the actual intended subject.

Or maybe you should stand for parliament lol."

what a load of bull

XXX pic...
login to view

Not making a point, just saying no just making a point of belittling me more like as you have nothing to add just saying

-

Or maybe you should stand for parliament lol.what a load of bull "

That reaction surprises me dannyboy because (as you know from [previous posts and your private messages to me) I have never been vindictive and always attempted to give good advice.

Scrap BREXIT & stay where we are, will be a lot better off without all this argueing about what we owe or don't owe & where we go from here

Due to financial constraints the light at the end of the long dark tunnel has been turned off for the foreseeable future

-

I think you are being unfair dannyboy. When criticised you have frequently said you like to listen to advice and others should politely say where you are going wrong and yet d

ozens of posters are telling you the same thing (over and over as the did on previous occasions when you have been on the site) - forget your silly snatched headlines and write your own thoughts! The way you use the threads makes each subject more about you than the actual intended subject.

Or maybe you should stand for parliament lol."

you seem to have serious problem with headlines and yet it's you more than others that adds to the thread if it bothered you that much why bother adding to it in first place

So I. Can't see some news somewhere and ask questions about it now because if you look at most of what I've started their have been questions which all I was seeking answers to that's it

Yes maybe guilty of wording it wrong but anyone surely can b see it's a question so why can't just answer and leave it at that

Instead of having ago yes I've b been guilty of giving it out but only because have a go at me .

And you b seriously think I want threads about me no I effing don't that's people posting little digs aimed at me that does that

At any opportunity having a dig

If you don't like the thread don't take part in it ignore it why take part in something you clearly don't like because it be no skin ofmy nose I know some think I do it for attention but you are wrong far from it only want to understand politics that's why question s but get stick for it so sometimes go on one I repeat I may have worded things wrong but only wanted answers

And been on site many times before unless I sleep walk and do things in my sleep this is my first time on here

-

Or maybe you should stand for parliament lol.what a load of bull

That reaction surprises me dannyboy because (as you know from [previous posts and your private messages to me) I have never been vindictive and always attempted to give good advice."

Mr tw it was aimed at everyone that has a go at me

And to be 100% fair you personally have not been vindictive at all so I'm SORRY if I give that impression I think that you area good man

going back to the question,

it seems this morning that the cabinet has agreed in principle to pay more than the suggested 20bn up to about 38 bn is this a fair sum? i have no idea as it seems not many do and can't work out as the criteria for the calculations is not in the public realm

During this thread there has been a lot said about not just reading the headline on a newspaper, personally a headline is there to grab your attention you then read the whole story and if the story really interests you you will then find out as much as possible from different sources to get a fair idea of what is being discussed but and it's a big but we still only get to know what the media (tv, radio, newspaper online ) want us to know

*urgea By *urgea  (M)  over a year ago

At Florence T M floated the figure if £20b, a starting point. Supposedly the E U are looking for £40b, so a compromise somewhere in between should be possible. I would be tempted to pay it AS LONG as we get a good trading deal, esp for finances/ London, then we can wipe the floor with the EU by continuing to deal with their finances PLUS those for the rest of the world, esp the Far East. We could zoom ahead and leave the E U floundering. And I think the backbone of German economy, car making, will move to the East, possibly America and possibly UK if Dyson gets going. And the fact is the E U needs us more than we need them, there is a severe imbalance in trade, in their favour, which we should constantly remind them of. Any divorce bill will be short lived whereas our liberated future could be for ever.

"going back to the question,

it seems this morning that the cabinet has agreed in principle to pay more than the suggested 20bn up to about 38 bn is this a fair sum? i have no idea as it seems not many do and can't work out as the criteria for the calculations is not in the public realm

During this thread there has been a lot said about not just reading the headline on a newspaper, personally a headline is there to grab your attention you then read the whole story and if the story really interests you you will then find out as much as possible from different sources to get a fair idea of what is being discussed but and it's a big but we still only get to know what the media (tv, radio, newspaper online ) want us to know "

fair point, well made.

The newspapers/media don't have a clue, they're just guessing for want of something to put as headlines.

To be fair, nobody knows the final bill since we're not at the end of the process yet. I imagine that the total cost will be buried and screened and just brought out at Christmas.

By *ick 59  (M)  over a year ago

Don't give them a penny we survived for hundreds of years without the EU and can do so again because I can see the whole of the EU collapsing it's a gravy train for a select few

a great idea has just occurred to me - instead of giving them cash, lets trade - lets give them something worth £40 billion - it has legs doesn't it?

Then I thought, what do we have that's worth £40 billion - how about a county; cheshire, wiltshire or maybe Northumberland? I'm not quite sure on values here so would it be a fair deal?

Then it struck me - like a bolt from the blue - give them Scotland.

It ticks a lot of boxes, after all Scotland wanted to stay in the EU and be rid of the UK and it saves us some money. I'm half Scottish, so I could get a Scottish passport and stay in the EU.

I can't see any faults in it

*ackie7579 By *ackie7579   profile verified by photo (TV/TS/CD)  over a year ago

This is from a google political news site and not me making it up...

The UK pays more into the EU budget than it gets back.

In 2016 the UK government paid £13.1 billion to the EU budget, and EU spending on the UK was forecast to be £4.5 billion. So the UK’s ‘net contribution’ was estimated at about £8.6 billion.

Each year the UK gets a discount on its contributions to the EU—the ‘rebate’—worth almost £4 billion last year. Without it the UK would have been liable for £17 billion in contributions.

absolutely right - can't argue with the figures. Well done Margaret Thatcher for negotiating it in the first place.

Although it was a tiny bit bigger than that until Tony Blair negotiated some of it away.

"At Florence T M floated the figure if £20b, a starting point. Supposedly the E U are looking for £40b, so a compromise somewhere in between should be possible. I would be tempted to pay it AS LONG as we get a good trading deal, esp for finances/ London, then we can wipe the floor with the EU by continuing to deal with their finances PLUS those for the rest of the world, esp the Far East. We could zoom ahead and leave the E U floundering. And I think the backbone of German economy, car making, will move to the East, possibly America and possibly UK if Dyson gets going. And the fact is the E U needs us more than we need them, there is a severe imbalance in trade, in their favour, which we should constantly remind them of. Any divorce bill will be short lived whereas our liberated future could be for ever."

I don't disgaree that the EU needs the UK and when we leave it will hurt the EU. However we would all do well to remember that 80% of the UK econmomy is service based industries. The EU have already stated the finance services will not be given a passport to the single market. Whether that is just playing hardball in the negotiations we will soon find out. But if the UK based finance services do not get access to the single market there is a very real danger most will simply uproot and move their offices to be EU based. And there will be no shortage of EU countries looking to offer them a warm welcome. We are in unchartered dangerous waters

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ewcocol  (M)  over a year ago

If I buy a car, then partway through the purchase agreement I decide I no longer want it, am I justified in leaving it abandoned at the side of the road and deciding what portion of the previously agreed to cost I am willing to pay?

"If I buy a car, then partway through the purchase agreement I decide I no longer want it, am I justified in leaving it abandoned at the side of the road and deciding what portion of the previously agreed to cost I am willing to pay? "

No they will take you to the County Court for the balance.

XXX pic...
login to view

That was a rhetorical analogy.

"If I buy a car, then partway through the purchase agreement I decide I no longer want it, am I justified in leaving it abandoned at the side of the road and deciding what portion of the previously agreed to cost I am willing to pay? "

I think there are many who would think that they are justified in doing just that because their own circumstances have changed.

I wonder who people will blame when brexit goes badly wrong - definitely not themselves

XXX pic...
login to view

**I wonder who people will blame when brexit goes badly wrong - definitely not themselves**

LOL. It doesn't take too much imagination. If it goes wrong it will be the government who gets the blame and if it goes right the government will still get the blame for it not going even better. Politicians are the easy target on this one whichever way you voted.

It would be fair to say that most of the UK wanted the refendum but when it favoured Brexit the government was blamed for allowing the people to decide their own destiny.

Now they get blamed for taking too long, rushing unnecessaily, being too soft, being too hard, keeping the wrong policies, getting rid of the wrong policies, offering to pay, threatening not to pay ...... as you say Cheshire baldie it is quite obvious that no-one will be blaming themselves.

XXX pic...
login to view

"

I wonder who people will blame when brexit goes badly wrong - definitely not themselves "

Correct, denial is a default position for people as well as being a river in Egypt.

there's too many lickspittles in this country and not enough movers and shakers

just saying

my arse

hang on . . . the original thread was about £40 billion . .

Maybe the Government can generate a list of the people who voted leave and get them to stump up whatever the divorce settlement is? Like splitting the bill after a meal?

If you can't pay, we take it away - we could make a TV programme of it (television not tv) and syndicate it to offset our legal fees.

XXX pic...
login to view

Shifty Nigel could throw in a few bob from the £3 million he's reckoned to have creamed off while he has been an MEP. Then he could also pay his unpaid tax bill of £137,000 as a bonus.

"Shifty Nigel could throw in a few bob from the £3 million he's reckoned to have creamed off while he has been an MEP. Then he could also pay his unpaid tax bill of £137,000 as a bonus."

Great idea - it'd be interesting how many politicians would suddenly change their stance on brexit if they had to pay too - Boris would be cleaned out (and not in a naughty way!)

XXX pic...
login to view

Oh I don't know... charging a tenner a pop to set off a fire hose up Boris' arse would probably clear the debt in days.

XXX pic...
login to view

There would be more people in London than there was for Diana's funeral.

"There would be more people in London than there was for Diana's funeral.

"

Well I won't be one of them - I like Boris. Come to think of it, I like Trump as well!

"Oh I don't know... charging a tenner a pop to set off a fire hose up Boris' arse would probably clear the debt in days. "

very good idea indeed

"**I wonder who people will blame when brexit goes badly wrong - definitely not themselves**

LOL. It doesn't take too much imagination. If it goes wrong it will be the government who gets the blame and if it goes right the government will still get the blame for it not going even better. Politicians are the easy target on this one whichever way you voted.

It would be fair to say that most of the UK wanted the refendum but when it favoured Brexit the government was blamed for allowing the people to decide their own destiny.

Now they get blamed for taking too long, rushing unnecessaily, being too soft, being too hard, keeping the wrong policies, getting rid of the wrong policies, offering to pay, threatening not to pay ...... as you say Cheshire baldie it is quite obvious that no-one will be blaming themselves."

it's the general public that voted for out because the government allowed it but it's not the general public what's dealing with it

It's the government so if it's a good deal give government the credit but we will more than likely get a bad deal which the government is trying to avoid to be fair but when or if their failure you can only point fingers at the government

How can it be anyone else s fault

"

I agree, we should honour our promises - otherwise we are worthless."

Who promised to fund new roads in Slovenia, Greece, Romania and Portugal while the highways in our own country are crumbling ?

Who promised to allow a flood of cheap labour to undermine pay and working conditions ?

Who promised to let drug and prostitution rackets spring up from various EU member state mafias ?

There is no quick fix for the mess the EU has made of Europe but getting out of it is a start.

"

Who promised to fund new roads in Slovenia, Greece, Romania and Portugal while the highways in our own country are crumbling ?

Who promised to allow a flood of cheap labour to undermine pay and working conditions ?

Who promised to let drug and prostitution rackets spring up from various EU member state mafias ?

There is no quick fix for the mess the EU has made of Europe but getting out of it is a start.

"

Oh let me think, we did, or the MEPs we voted in did.We committed to project some 3 or 5 or 10 year research projects that we will still get the benefit of and some of them are in this country. I think some people need to realise the shit we could be in. We are an island and not a self supporting island, what happens if they close their borders or at least make it very difficult for us financially and timewise to import export stuff.

The french can shut down the M25 by going on strike for a day what do you think will happen if they do it for a week. Whilst we cant be held to ransom some people need to wake up.

"Who promised to fund new roads in Slovenia, Greece, Romania and Portugal while the highways in our own country are crumbling ?

There is no quick fix for the mess the EU has made of Europe but getting out of it is a start."

XXX pic...
login to view

"

"

Any items you mentioned must have been decided upon by the European parliament, of which Del boy Farage was a member, so when the budget was voted on and passed it became a commitment of the whole community. It's not exactly rocket science.

"If it true that we have to pay eu £40bn to leave why is this ?

Why are we getting fleeced/robbed just because we as a nation don't want in

My opinion is if this is true shouldn't be allowed"

Just a figure pulled out a hat by somebody never been officially mentioned.

"

Oh let me think, we did, or the MEPs we voted in did.We committed to project some 3 or 5 or 10 year research projects that we will still get the benefit of and some of them are in this country. I think some people need to realise the shit we could be in. We are an island and not a self supporting island, what happens if they close their borders or at least make it very difficult for us financially and timewise to import export stuff.

The french can shut down the M25 by going on strike for a day what do you think will happen if they do it for a week. Whilst we cant be held to ransom some people need to wake up."

You make the case admirably - we have been allowed to fall into a position where we can be held to ransom by a handful of French lorry drivers backed up and supported by their government aided and abetted by the EU.

To escape that and become more self reliant is not going to be easy but the alternative is to kow-tow to the continued French/German axis control of Europe.

The answers to the what ifs are we cope - and we continue. The French strikes happen anyway, what if their air traffic controllers go on strike...oh sorry they do,

If you give in to a blackmailer you will be giving in to them forever ...

We should have a referendum re-run - I believe the another one would return a greater majority for out.

A lot more people have seen the EU hierarchy for what it really is and the arrogance of a handful of unelected people (Junckers comment "I am not seeking vengeance for Europe") displays their true feelings towards this country.

It will take time but those who voted OUT will be proved right.

At the end of the day we could walk away from here and say you getting nowt guy's, there's a big world out there for us to play in, instead of either defending or fighting you to promote democracy and freedom, you money grabbing fourth Reich gits.

XXX pic...
login to view

Have you seen the national debt, 40 Bil's nothing, just put it on the tab.

*ass65 By *ass65   profile verified by photo (M)  over a year ago

"Have you seen the national debt, 40 Bil's nothing, just put it on the tab."

The national debt is passing one Trillion, at this moment it is approximately rising at £5.170 per second, it is £31.248 pounds per Citizen, or £51.747 per Tax payer, approximately that is.

Sorry those figures are incorrect its risen by £20,000 I type slow.

XXX pic...
login to view

Those are old figures getting on for 2 Trillion now and grows at £5,170 per second. But apparently factoring all liabilities it comes in much high at around £4.8 trillion.

*urgea By *urgea  (M)  over a year ago

Do we know to whom this money is owed,probably only make-believe paper money anyway, but someone must be raking in loads of interest? The interest on the debt Labour last left us is crippling.

it's only money

I wouldn't trust that website to deliver eggs, let alone facts

XXX pic...
login to view

"Do we know to whom this money is owed,probably only make-believe paper money anyway, but someone must be raking in loads of interest? The interest on the debt Labour last left us is crippling."

err, debt that Labour left, take a look at the figures.

is it £40 billion PLUS VAT?

"Do we know to whom this money is owed,probably only make-believe paper money anyway, but someone must be raking in loads of interest? The interest on the debt Labour last left us is crippling.

err, debt that Labour left, take a look at the figures."

you find that the debt Labour put us in is nearly 18 million so rest must be conservative party

XXX pic...
login to view
By *arconi  (M)  over a year ago

Osborne increased the debt year by year and so has Mrs May government. The debt left by Labour was money used to prop up failing banks

XXX pic...
login to view

It was the Labour government who put the country into a debt which has been a constant struggle to get out of ...obviously life must go on and money still needs to be spent so clearing debts can seem impossible.

Mrs May has been excellent in this respect.

"It was the Labour government who put the country into a debt which has been a constant struggle to get out of ...obviously life must go on and money still needs to be spent so clearing debts can seem impossible.

Mrs May has been excellent in this respect. "

like been mentioned in another post osbourne kept raising debt year after year was osbourne labour NO HE WASNT even caretaker may has risen it

Mrs may done brilliantly as she well she lost her partys marjority wrongly calling general election and lost backing of HER OWN party and shes done brilliantly some make me laugh .You cant deny it

Now you are going to go corbyn this corbyn that blah blah blah dont need to hear it heard it all before he not running country is he may is and already made big mistakes now we have to trust her with brexit

XXX pic...
login to view

Danny me boy. Who do you think would be better than Nay at handling Brexit. Please don’t prevaricate but just tell me the one person you would put in charge ?

XXX pic...
login to view

"Danny me boy. Who do you think would be better than May at handling Brexit. Please don’t prevaricate but just tell me the one person you would put in charge ? "

"Danny me boy. Who do you think would be better than May at handling Brexit. Please don’t prevaricate but just tell me the one person you would put in charge ? "

it doesn't matter who I would have had handling it we are stuck with may who has not shown anything to show I can personally have confidence in her she is weak

David Cameron is the one I would have had deal with it

As yourself said Cameron shouldn't have stepped down think I would have more faith in Maggie s corpse

Now if Maggie was with us and in power we would probably beout of eu no problems

XXX pic...
login to view

"Danny me boy. Who do you think would be better than May at handling Brexit. Please don’t prevaricate but just tell me the one person you would put in charge ? it doesn't matter who I would have had handling it we are stuck with may who has not shown anything to show I can personally have confidence in her she is weak

As yourself said Cameron shouldn't have stepped down think I would have more faith in Maggie s corpse

Now if Maggie was with us and in power we would probably beout of eu no problems"

-

I think you are right about Maggie. I have heard many who didnt like her at the time state she would be the man for the job dealing with the EU.

I can't see the point in saying you would like someone to step down or that you would prefer someone else if you can't name the person you would prefer. it's a bit like racing a formula one car and moaning that it isn't fast enough even when you are in the lead.

"Danny me boy. Who do you think would be better than May at handling Brexit. Please don’t prevaricate but just tell me the one person you would put in charge ? it doesn't matter who I would have had handling it we are stuck with may who has not shown anything to show I can personally have confidence in her she is weak

Now if Maggie was with us and in power we would probably beout of eu no problems

-

I think you are right about Maggie. I have heard many who didnt like her at the time state she would be the man for the job dealing with the EU.

I can't see the point in saying you would like someone to step down or that you would prefer someone else if you can't name the person you would prefer. it's a bit like racing a formula one car and moaning that it isn't fast enough even when you are in the lead."

we are stuck with may who is weak yes in leadcar that's heading for head on crash

I admit don't know who just haven't got faith in May none at all

XXX pic...
login to view

Thanks for the reply. I guessed you believed May was the best person for the job and that there are no obvious candidates who could do better although I appreciate it must be gutting to admit this being such an argent Labour supporter and activist lol.

XXX pic...
login to view

*ardent*

"Thanks for the reply. I guessed you believed May was the best person for the job and that there are no obvious candidates who could do better although I appreciate it must be gutting to admit this being such an argent Labour supporter and activist lol."

I'm not Labour

And I don't believe may is the best person for job I just don't know names of all mps that's all that's why can't name one but if you really need one Boris Johnson even he would. Be better

Let's get one thing straight I repeat I don't know names of all mps to name one

You was expecting me saying corbyn wasn't you as you seem to think that I'm Labour well you are wrong again

Why are you so obsessed with me fallen in love

XXX pic...
login to view
By *arconi  (M)  over a year ago

First of all let me say I was never a Maggie supporter but one thing about her she would not have got us into this mess. She would have stood up to the idiots on her back benches wanting a referendum and told them where to go.

"First of all let me say I was never a Maggie supporter but one thing about her she would not have got us into this mess. She would have stood up to the idiots on her back benches wanting a referendum and told them where to go."

exactly some say Mays not weak and right for job

XXX pic...
login to view

"First of all let me say I was never a Maggie supporter but one thing about her she would not have got us into this mess. She would have stood up to the idiots on her back benches wanting a referendum and told them where to go.exactly some say Mays not weak and right for job"

seems women are better than men in this respect.

"Thanks for the reply. I guessed you believed May was the best person for the job and that there are no obvious candidates who could do better although I appreciate it must be gutting to admit this being such an argent Labour supporter and activist lol."

I think you need to accept the reality of the situation. If anyone suggests a a name who they believe could do a better job, you will disgree with it, which you are fully entitled to do. The reality is the general public do not have any power whatsoever to remove May as PM so what your are asking is irrelevant. That power lies solely in the hands of the Conservative Parliamentary Party and any prospective candidates would have to come from within them. Do I believe all the tory MPs think May is doing a good job - No I don't and many have gone on and off the record to say so. Do I believe Tory Mps think there are other Tory MPs capable of doing a better job - Yes I do. And even if they didn't, wouldn't that be a very sorry state of affairs if out of over 300 MPs they couldn't suggest one person who took take over the reigns? So why don't they put these people forward and support a leadership contest? Firstly because at this late stage in the Bexit negotiations it would throw everything into even more chaos. Secondly, the time to do it was immediately after the General Election result; so why wasn't it done? Simply because the General Election result shook the Tories to their roots and they have a genuine fear of losing power should another election be called anytime soon and are minimising anything which may cause this. It is not the case that the Torys MPs have total confidence in May, they quite blatantly don't but their fear of losing power negates their concerns that May is not up to the job. Which is why I say at such an important economic time in the history of our country (Brexit negotiations) the Tories are putting their party interests in front of those of all our country and I consider that to be depiscable.

"Thanks for the reply. I guessed you believed May was the best person for the job and that there are no obvious candidates who could do better although I appreciate it must be gutting to admit this being such an argent Labour supporter and activist lol.

I think you need to accept the reality of the situation. If anyone suggests a a name who they believe could do a better job, you will disgree with it, which you are fully entitled to do. The reality is the general public do not have any power whatsoever to remove May as PM so what your are asking is irrelevant. That power lies solely in the hands of the Conservative Parliamentary Party and any prospective candidates would have to come from within them. Do I believe all the tory MPs think May is doing a good job - No I don't and many have gone on and off the record to say so. Do I believe Tory Mps think there are other Tory MPs capable of doing a better job - Yes I do. And even if they didn't, wouldn't that be a very sorry state of affairs if out of over 300 MPs they couldn't suggest one person who took take over the reigns? So why don't they put these people forward and support a leadership contest? Firstly because at this late stage in the Bexit negotiations it would throw everything into even more chaos. Secondly, the time to do it was immediately after the General Election result; so why wasn't it done? Simply because the General Election result shook the Tories to their roots and they have a genuine fear of losing power should another election be called anytime soon and are minimising anything which may cause this. It is not the case that the Torys MPs have total confidence in May, they quite blatantly don't but their fear of losing power negates their concerns that May is not up to the job. Which is why I say at such an important economic time in the history of our country (Brexit negotiations) the Tories are putting their party interests in front of those of all our country and I consider that to be depiscable. "

very wise words and 200%correct well put there

XXX pic...
login to view

I think there are plenty of MPs from all parties who could do a better job. I would say the same about every Prime Minister throughout history but it's an academic argument. Possibly Thatcher, Kinnock, Clarke?

In the mainstream of likely candidates for a top (PM) job and looking at all parties I see no-one who I believe would be doing a better job than theresa May. I also believe the other high profile politicians think this too. No-one else wants the poisoned chalice that Theresa May inherited and I doubt any other politician would have coped as well as she has.

I think Maggie was the one PM since the war who could have negotiated the best deal on brexit and on most other things that took guts and determination. I would like to have seen Cameron continue rather than step down but not so much that he is more proficient than May but he wouldn't have attracted the venom and detractors who see her as an easy target.

When May stepped up to be PM I thought 'Oh no' but with everything that has been thrown at her and all the tragedies as well as the Brexit negotiations she has steadily gone up in my estimation.

What has she done specifically to raise your estimations of her?

"I think there are plenty of MPs from all parties who could do a better job. I would say the same about every Prime Minister throughout history but it's an academic argument. Possibly Thatcher, Kinnock, Clarke?

In the mainstream of likely candidates for a top (PM) job and looking at all parties I see no-one who I believe would be doing a better job than theresa May. I also believe the other high profile politicians think this too. No-one else wants the poisoned chalice that Theresa May inherited and I doubt any other politician would have coped as well as she has.

I think Maggie was the one PM since the war who could have negotiated the best deal on brexit and on most other things that took guts and determination. I would like to have seen Cameron continue rather than step down but not so much that he is more proficient than May but he wouldn't have attracted the venom and detractors who see her as an easy target.

When May stepped up to be PM I thought 'Oh no' but with everything that has been thrown at her and all the tragedies as well as the Brexit negotiations she has steadily gone up in my estimation."

you was very very correct to oh no

"I think there are plenty of MPs from all parties who could do a better job. I would say the same about every Prime Minister throughout history but it's an academic argument. Possibly Thatcher, Kinnock, Clarke?

When May stepped up to be PM I thought 'Oh no' but with everything that has been thrown at her and all the tragedies as well as the Brexit negotiations she has steadily gone up in my estimation.you was very very correct to oh no"

to say oh no

How can you put your confidence in someone that says one thing then does opposite months later more than one occasion

XXX pic...
login to view

When May stepped up to be PM I thought 'Oh no' but with everything that has been thrown at her and all the tragedies as well as the Brexit negotiations she has steadily gone up in my estimation.you was very very correct to oh noto say oh no "

-

Yes I thought that when it was first announced she was to be leader. I suppose I was partly disappointed that Cameron had stepped down. She had to prove herself and she has.

When May stepped up to be PM I thought 'Oh no' but with everything that has been thrown at her and all the tragedies as well as the Brexit negotiations she has steadily gone up in my estimation.you was very very correct to oh noto say oh no

-

Yes I thought that when it was first announced she was to be leader. I suppose I was partly disappointed that Cameron had stepped down. She had to prove herself and she has."

how?

XXX pic...
login to view

When May stepped up to be PM I thought 'Oh no' but with everything that has been thrown at her and all the tragedies as well as the Brexit negotiations she has steadily gone up in my estimation.you was very very correct to oh noto say oh no

-

Yes I thought that when it was first announced she was to be leader. I suppose I was partly disappointed that Cameron had stepped down. She had to prove herself and she has.how?"

you bi-lingual now .. speaking red indian?

-

Yes I thought that when it was first announced she was to be leader. I suppose I was partly disappointed that Cameron had stepped down. She had to prove herself and she has.how?

you bi-lingual now .. speaking red indian?"

no you keep banging on about how Mrs may has gone up in your expectations just asking. HOW

You said name someone he's a crazy man but keeps to his word trump

-

Yes I thought that when it was first announced she was to be leader. I suppose I was partly disappointed that Cameron had stepped down. She had to prove herself and she has.how?"

Indeed she has proved herself.... to be an idiot. If you call proving yourself loosing a majority then for certain your right. How about the growing debt? the waiting times in the NHS, education standards, crime...... Using Corbyn as an excuse to make her a hero is no excuse. She needs to grasp things and get on with it and stop looking as if she's attending a flower show.

XXX pic...
login to view

Your post makes no sense. She has proven herself to be capable and resilient.

There is no doubt that her advisers were wrong on the election but the rest of the country shared the belief that she would win easily and we were all surprised by the result .. some glad and some not!

Are you so blinkered you are actually blaming May for the countries debts and any failres of the NHS, education and crime?

Do you know how long she has been leader? During that time she has been snowed under dealing with Brexit and still handled all the tragedies competently during that time.

I could understand anyone who said May was a bit mundane but it is difficult to fault her actions .. unless you follow the Mail lol.

I agree with previous person ,we voted to leave just leave we don't owe them a penny. we want our country to be ours not brussells

"Your post makes no sense. She has proven herself to be capable and resilient.

There is no doubt that her advisers were wrong on the election but the rest of the country shared the belief that she would win easily and we were all surprised by the result .. some glad and some not!

Are you so blinkered you are actually blaming May for the countries debts and any failres of the NHS, education and crime?

Do you know how long she has been leader? During that time she has been snowed under dealing with Brexit and still handled all the tragedies competently during that time.

I could understand anyone who said May was a bit mundane but it is difficult to fault her actions .. unless you follow the Mail lol. "

Please do not make some feeble attempt at twisting my words. I am far from blinkered and indeed Caretaker May got my vote which I now sincerely regret.

I did not blame May for the things I mentioned I simply stated facts that nothing seems to move forward under her watch. Dealing with tragedies is part of the job and should be treated as such.

She was more than aware of the Brexit score when she stood. You say she is snowed under dealing with Brexit but in real terms she has appointed people to do that. She spreads herself very thin with no real tangible results. Yes I know how long she has been leader - far to long. I suppose your comment regarding the Mail is some attempt at either humour or perhaps you wish to try and insult my intelligence? either way it failed.... bit like your hero May.

As we don’t have a Presidential system of Government here in the United Kingdom, you most certainly DID NOT vote for Theresa May because you do not live in her constituency????? If as you have said you voted for a conservative candidate you had a choice, Stuart Andrew, Andrea Jenkyn or Alec Shelbrooke.

"Your post makes no sense. She has proven herself to be capable and resilient.

I could understand anyone who said May was a bit mundane but it is difficult to fault her actions .. unless you follow the Mail lol. "

if that's what you believe you are in cuckoo land

"As we don’t have a Presidential system of Government here in the United Kingdom, you most certainly DID NOT vote for Theresa May because you do not live in her constituency????? If as you have said you voted for a conservative candidate you had a choice, Stuart Andrew, Andrea Jenkyn or Alec Shelbrooke."

think you find that his vote was for conservative party not personally Mrs may it was so obvious

so your now replying for everyone now? the answer to his question was directed at Leeds not Doncaster or where ever you now live?

"so your now replying for everyone now? the answer to his question was directed at Leeds not Doncaster or where ever you now live?"

no I'm not replying for everyone at all it was so obvious he what he meant that's all

"As we don’t have a Presidential system of Government here in the United Kingdom, you most certainly DID NOT vote for Theresa May because you do not live in her constituency????? If as you have said you voted for a conservative candidate you had a choice, Stuart Andrew, Andrea Jenkyn or Alec Shelbrooke."

When was the election? And where exactly did I live at that time? I am so flattered that you take suck an interest in my personal life. I do however regret to inform you that I have not the same interest in your life. Yet again you jump feet first and land upside down..... bit like the Conservative Party at the moment.

"so your now replying for everyone now? the answer to his question was directed at Leeds not Doncaster or where ever you now live?"

You do really need to take more care with your geography before you make wild statements.

Perhaps BK I can give you a little help with your problem. When you are a member of a site like this you set your home area to the area that most suits you for your needs of the site. An example of this might be to get the attention of people in your area who might wish to meet you. Now as you well know as someone who states on their profile that they spend time in London and time in the Country you and you alone decide what you wish to set as your location. This of course does not stop you being registered to vote in a constituency other than the area stated on your Cottaging profile. Hope that helps.

XXX pic...
login to view

I realise what has happened now. Cottaging never provided the 'Politics' forum so we could talk politics but they didnt want to call it the 'Bollocks' forum lol

By *aravaggio  (M)  over a year ago

Back to the thread subject. Originally, I understood that we had to pay this, so far mythical sum upfront, but it now appears that it can be spread over quite a lengthy period, 20 years or more, which puts a completely different complexion on things ..... lets agree and move on. At least it will put the focus on the EU to talk about sensible things like trade. However, I fear that there will be further stalling by the EU, over the Irish border. Then it will be citizens rights, and before you know it, the two years will be up, and there will still be no deal. IMHO, Brexit is one long joint stalling process, engineered by the EU and the remainers. The current PM and front bench should be made up entirely of those who voted leave, its nonsensical for it to be otherwise. Since when did turkeys vote for xmas?

"I realise what has happened now. Cottaging never provided the 'Politics' forum so we could talk politics but they didnt want to call it the 'Bollocks' forum lol "

Mr TW you could not have put it better. The usual ones are not interested in debating anything which relates to politics they are simply interested in slagging off those who want to post about the subject. It was just like a person who is not longer on here before when he constantly slagged off the Conservative Party but never once contributed to any of the issues currently in the news.

We have someone who can neither contribute or debate other than adding quote after quote after quote making it appear that this has come from the OP which it has not.

As for Leeds, if that is the case then if all the members on this site are not from where they say they are based, then its no wonder no one meets anyone……total farce…

"I realise what has happened now. Cottaging never provided the 'Politics' forum so we could talk politics but they didnt want to call it the 'Bollocks' forum lol

Mr TW you could not have put it better. The usual ones are not interested in debating anything which relates to politics they are simply interested in slagging off those who want to post about the subject. It was just like a person who is not longer on here before when he constantly slagged off the Conservative Party but never once contributed to any of the issues currently in the news.

We have someone who can neither contribute or debate other than adding quote after quote after quote making it appear that this has come from the OP which it has not.

As for Leeds, if that is the case then if all the members on this site are not from where they say they are based, then its no wonder no one meets anyone……total farce…

"

say you that justs copy and paste s stuff just changes odd word to make look like his own I have seen it all while browsing tell you what I get all links and prove it when I find the time to do it

XXX pic...
login to view

"I realise what has happened now. Cottaging never provided the 'Politics' forum so we could talk politics but they didnt want to call it the 'Bollocks' forum lol

say you that justs copy and paste s stuff just changes odd word to make look like his own I have seen it all while browsing tell you what I get all links and prove it when I find the time to do it "

-

We are all waiting with bated breath

yes Mr TW like others and myself are All waiting......perhaps the need to be switched on

By *ottagingOfficial   premium paying member (M)  over a year ago

Can the people who are obviously pissing each other off avoid each others posts. If you keep attacking each other you will end up not being able to post at all as it is against rules