New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login364722 members (5 yesterday), private messages

cottaging.co.uk > Forums > Politics > Where are the Political beasts?

See newest message in thread

Where are the Political beasts?

XXX pic...
login to view
By *oondog   profile verified by photo (M)  over a year ago

@private mail, +add as contact

I may just be getting old but it seems to have been a while since we saw real conviction politicians who could orate and stir the passions of the electorate.

It didn't matter which side they were on you had to respect their views even if you didn't agree with them.

Thatcher, Healey, Tebbit, Joseph, Callaghan, Wilson, and many more before them.

Who are the political giants of today?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I think all the quality orators have died. All there is left are the bullshitters and liars

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ewcocol  (M)  over a year ago

Only two from that list fit the bill on both counts Thatcher and Healey. The others certainly weren't good orators. I'd add Ken Clarke to it though, a marvellous speaking voice.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *2014   profile verified by photo (M)  over a year ago

Conviction politicians? There may be potential candidates now but they are busy being convicted of stuff they did back in the days of Thatcher, Healey, Tebbit, Joseph, Callaghan, Wilson.

I think Blair filled the orator criterion and we have only just lost Obama who fulfilled both to the limit.

XXX pic...
login to view

Blair - artificial pauses for effect, carefully contrived expressions for the camera, never a word or phrase off script. No I really can't agree with you on him being a great orator.

*ordic-knight By *ordic-knight   premium paying member (M)  over a year ago

"

Thatcher, Healey, Tebbit, Joseph, Callaghan, Wilson, and many more before them."

Of those only Thatcher and Healey were really good orators. Tebbit no bad. Wilson a bit slimy and shifty like his eventually successor Blair. I heard Callaghan live at an election rally and was totally unimpressed. Didn't rate Keith Joseph very highly either. Although I was not a fan of theirs politically both Michael Foot and Wedgie Benn were powerful speakers and political heavy weights. The much maligned William Hague was an impressive orator as well.

XXX pic...
login to view

Actually I thought Kinnock a better speaker than either Benn or Foot, But at the same time I never really lost the feeling he was performing rather than speaking from the heart.

By *hebestrimmer  (M)  over a year ago

I would love Blair to orate for me - When I stamp on his Bollocks!

By *hebestrimmer  (M)  over a year ago

I think tosser best describes blair

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Some of the earlier ones that have been mentiond were natural, from Maggie forward they have been trained, and given a style, that why a lot are plastic politicians and do look fairly similair. The only exception being Corbyn as no one could be taught to act like he does

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ockpleaser  (M)  over a year ago

At least Mr Corbyn seems to believe in what he's saying although I don't agree with much of it.

I once saw Arthur Scargill whip a crowd into a frenzy, I felt it myself even though I was only passing by and stopped to listen lol

XXX pic...
login to view
By *2014   profile verified by photo (M)  over a year ago

Nobody agrees with me about Tony? I'm astonished

William Hague - a master of the art whether being serious or funny. Someone recently posted links on here to his U Tube stuff which I found very enjoyable.

XXX pic...
login to view

"Nobody agrees with me about Tony? I'm astonished

William Hague - a master of the art whether being serious or funny. Someone recently posted links on here to his U Tube stuff which I found very enjoyable."

I was that soldier Sir, it is possibly my favourite clip of Hague. I didn't suggest him because although he has the wit and the knowledge he doesn't have the voice sadly.

Look for some of him jousting across the despatch box with John Prescott.

Add a new message to this topic