New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login365542 members (6 yesterday), private messages

cottaging.co.uk > Forums > Politics > What does immigration do to wages?

See newest message in thread

What does immigration do to wages?

XXX pic...
login to view
By *sunamiwarrior   profile verified by photo (M) 38 weeks ago

@private mail, +add as contact

Good or bad for the U.K.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *orum reader  (M) 38 weeks ago

There are several factors forcing wages down Immigration is just one obviously if immigrants are available to work and are willing to work for a lower wage then employers are going to get the Labour they need at the lowest rate possible,

But I think that working tax credits do far more to keep wages artificially low and the general taxpayers are subsidising the profits of very large company's

By *aravaggio  (M) 38 weeks ago

The problem with wages? In a nutshell, the percentage of low paid jobs has increased. You take the skill factor out, you reduce manufacturing, you allow kids to have inappropriate university education …. you end up with basic service industries being major job providers. Why should someone serving coffee earn above minimum wage? Why should someone straightening clothes on a rack get above minimum wage? Why should someone scrubbing railway loos get above minimum wage? On the other hand, it could be argued that why should a train driver earn in excess of 50k pa? They never used to earn medium to high salaries. They invariably lived in a council house which more often than not denoted the wage of the inhabitant. Wages are screwed because of lack of REAL job opportunity, bought about by a defunct education system and a massive downturn in the manufacturing sector …… bought about, of course, but Labour controlled unions with their refusal to modernise. Proper jobs bring proper wages.

*ordic-knight By *ordic-knight   premium paying member (M) 38 weeks ago

I'm not sure whether it still applies. With the big influx of East Europeans in 2004 it certainly made a big difference in the hospitality trade. I was an HOD in a hotel belonging to one of the hotel chains at the time. Suddenly we could get able and willing staff to work without pleading and cajoling. They also thought they were in heaven earning the minimum wage as it was several times higher that what they could earn in there native country.

At the time I had a rather grand sounding job but a salary I could only just about survive on. My GM asked head office for a pay rise for me only to get the reply that if I didn't like it they could get someone else to do my job for less. I was fortunate in that shortly afterwards I found myself a much better job on a considerably higher wage.

By *annyboy87  (M) 38 weeks ago

My oldest brother has told me when he first become an electrician he was on 20 pounds an hour at the firm he worked at but had polish walking in saying they do same job for 7pounds an hour

So what do you think management going to do get rid of high paid workers at first opportunity and employ cheaper workers to save on wagers it’s happened every where through immigration

Then word got around and all firms followed suit by bringing wages down and then working tax credits hasn’t helped either

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ollydee   premium paying member (M) 37 weeks ago

I don't know about Britain, but that certainly happened in Spain, a lot of my friends lost their jobs in the building Industry over there owing to employers paying immigrants less than half the going rate.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *sunamiwarrior   profile verified by photo (M) 37 weeks ago

Research from University College London finds that an inflow of immigrants the size of 1% of the UK-born population leads to a 0.6% decline in the wages of the 5% lowest paid workers and to an increase in the wages of higher paid workers.

The available research shows that any declines in wages are likely to be greatest for resident workers who are themselves migrants. This is because the skills of new immigrants are likely to be more similar to the skills of migrants already employed in the UK than for those of UK-born workers.

In and around my working life immigrants are employed at the same rate as everyone else and some of the more skilled ones on even higher wages.

Our main reason for employing them is their work ethic which seems more like that of UK workers of the 60s (I'm sure many will disagree but that is how I find it working with them more and more these days).

Our main reason for not employing them is the language barrier.

*Ybear By *Ybear  (M) 37 weeks ago

Freedom of movement within the EU was not to give added freedom to the citizens of Europe rather it gave big business access to virtually unlimited minimum wage labour.

In the past during periods of full employment like now employers had to pay higher wages to attract staff, those who could not afford to pay those higher wages would have to move those jobs to low wage economies abroad. There was a time when Norwich and Northampton made all our shoes, where were your shoes made? Vietnam?

Now to get more low paid workers employers just bring them in from Eastern Europe, so they do not have to pay more and can keep wage costs down for their business. This has knock on costs for the economy as a whole as low paid workers get tax credits housing benefits and of course use public services. This can mean that we the tax payers end up subsidising big business.

If we allow these low paid jobs to move abroad rather than import low paid workers our economy would not be so large but individual wages would be higher and the benefits bill would be reduced.

Without these unskilled low paid workers the pressure on housing, schools and health services would be reduced.

By (user no longer on site) 37 weeks ago

"Freedom of movement within the EU was not to give added freedom to the citizens of Europe rather it gave big business access to virtually unlimited minimum wage labour.

In the past during periods of full employment like now employers had to pay higher wages to attract staff, those who could not afford to pay those higher wages would have to move those jobs to low wage economies abroad. There was a time when Norwich and Northampton made all our shoes, where were your shoes made? Vietnam?

Now to get more low paid workers employers just bring them in from Eastern Europe, so they do not have to pay more and can keep wage costs down for their business. This has knock on costs for the economy as a whole as low paid workers get tax credits housing benefits and of course use public services. This can mean that we the tax payers end up subsidising big business.

If we allow these low paid jobs to move abroad rather than import low paid workers our economy would not be so large but individual wages would be higher and the benefits bill would be reduced.

Without these unskilled low paid workers the pressure on housing, schools and health services would be reduced."

XXX pic...
login to view
By *sunamiwarrior   profile verified by photo (M) 37 weeks ago

It is mostly the low paid/unskilled workers who pay the price of mass immigration but the group which is hit the hardest regarding pay is the immigrants already over here working.

By *aravaggio  (M) 37 weeks ago

I have a business interest in a medium sized (300 employees) electro/mechanical design and manufacturing set-up. Most of the assembly staff are eastern Europeans, but they are paid the same rate as if they were UK residents. However, the majority of the technical staff are non_UK, and the salaries are lower than if UK people were employed. BUT, and here is the nub, these technical foreign employees are not employed because they are cheaper, but because trying to find suitably qualified British people is a real headache. We here in UK are not producing the degree qualified people that our manufacturing base requires …. it needs a total rethink.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *heshire baldie  (M) 37 weeks ago

"I have a business interest in a medium sized (300 employees) electro/mechanical design and manufacturing set-up. Most of the assembly staff are eastern Europeans, but they are paid the same rate as if they were UK residents. However, the majority of the technical staff are non_UK, and the salaries are lower than if UK people were employed. BUT, and here is the nub, these technical foreign employees are not employed because they are cheaper, but because trying to find suitably qualified British people is a real headache. We here in UK are not producing the degree qualified people that our manufacturing base requires …. it needs a total rethink. "

..... and therein lies the problem. Any re-think, even if it was successful and innovative, wouldn't happen soon enough to help organisations like yourself

By *aravaggio  (M) 37 weeks ago

Its not a problem for businesses, they can still continue to employ foreign labour whether we're in or out of the EU. Its a problem for the country, but one that could be solved within a 6 or seven year time frame.

Add a new message to this topic