New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login366318 members (10 yesterday), private messages

cottaging.co.uk > Forums > Politics > nhs

See newest message in thread

nhs

By *annyboy87  (M) 11 weeks ago

@private mail, +add as contact

There are plans being released this coming week on how government hope to improve nhs over next five years.

But what would you personally change about the nhs?

From a+e, fighting obesity, smoking diabetes and cancer and everything else to do with system

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *orum reader  (M) 11 weeks ago

A&E is the one of two major stumbling blocks so I would be tempted to charge a fee of say £5-10 payable if you need no treatment ( unless the a&e Dr says you should have gone in ie, you have an ECG which turns out to be ok but had to be done to be sure) the payment could be applied to ambulance call outs ( only one payment per call or hospital visit)

The other major stumbling block is elderly patients not being able to leave hospital because their is no care facilities available so this is where the NHS and social services budgets should be linked together to make it easier to supply correct amounts of care

Overall the bus needs to stop being used as a political football

So a funding formula say RPI plus 2% a year and overseen by a committee made up of health professionals accountants and politician's from different party's

By *ikey1973   profile verified by photo (M) 11 weeks ago

**Overall the bus needs to stop being used as a political football**

That would be a pleasant change. Maybe it would also be an opportunity to talk reality.

Personally I find the biggest problem with the NHS today is the public. They expect far too much for nothing and want that free attention when it’s completely unnecessary. They have lost all respect for this free (at point of use) facility and now milk it to death.

In many ways politics are to blame. Any realist I’ll know that an enormous percentage of treatments provided, ambulances sent etc should have been stopped years ago but no party wanted to be the one to do it.

The government have announced an increase of £84 billion to the NHS which even if less in real terms is still a lot of money and it’s not a bottomless pit.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ayMan007   profile verified by photo (M) 11 weeks ago

Overall the bus needs to stop being used as a political football.

What bus? What are you talking about?

*ordic-knight By *ordic-knight   premium paying member (M) 11 weeks ago

"Overall the bus needs to stop being used as a political football.

What bus? What are you talking about? "

Either the bus to take you to hospital or the bus to take you to a football match obviously

NHS not bus my apologies for productive texts

XXX pic...
login to view

"NHS not bus my apologies for productive texts "

What on earth is a productive text?

It's something that normally corrects my spelling ctnu

Wonder if you can get a cure from being pedantic on the NHS

By *ajor mistake  (M) 11 weeks ago

i'm tempted to say sell it off, but that's never going to happen, ok, now the serious bit, how many turn up at A&E when they could go to their GP? SO SHOULD gp surgeries be expanded to cover out of hours and do limited procedure such as stitching etc, and non urgent treatment leaving the A&E to do what its supposed to do, save lives,if every town had an non emergency treatment centre, either separate from the hospital , or a separate department in case blood tests etc were needed and a fast transfer were possible to separate and prioritise patients, so the only people in A&E were ones who should be there.

*oredEric By *oredEric  (M) 11 weeks ago

Make the NHS forcBritish Citizens onky. Stop health tourism, any be from abroad to be recharged, just like we are when we travel across Europe and further afield.

I'd also registered foreign aid, stop time going to placekicker India, awash with billionaires, a space programmes nuclear programmes, etc. Also cut off those countries where the money vanishes into the pockets of despots and terrorists.

Put that money to nto the NHS and education.

*oredEric By *oredEric  (M) 11 weeks ago

Fucking shitty autocorrect.

I'd revisit foreign aid.

XXX pic...
login to view

"Fucking shitty autocorrect.

I'd revisit foreign aid."

Auto correct CANNOT be blamed for making any errors when messaging? Everyone can see what they have typed BEFORE pressing send.

XXX pic...
login to view

"Wonder if you can get a cure from being pedantic on the NHS "

What an utterly stupid thing to say! Why is it being pedantic to query something that someone has typed, that you do NOT understand? By your definition EVERYONE That does NOT understand something that someone else has typed is a pedant!

"Wonder if you can get a cure from being pedantic on the NHS

What an utterly stupid thing to say! Why is it being pedantic to query something that someone has typed, that you do NOT understand? By your definition EVERYONE That does NOT understand something that someone else has typed is a pedant! "

I rest my case

XXX pic...
login to view
By *heshire baldie  (M) 11 weeks ago

Actually, I wonder if you can get a cure for anything on the NHS. There’s certainly no cure for the parking charges which, of course, are re-invested in more car parks.

My arse.

XXX pic...
login to view

"Wonder if you can get a cure from being pedantic on the NHS

What an utterly stupid thing to say! Why is it being pedantic to query something that someone has typed, that you do NOT understand? By your definition EVERYONE That does NOT understand something that someone else has typed is a pedant!

I rest my case "

What case? You've totally lost your case.

"Fucking shitty autocorrect.

I'd revisit foreign aid.

Auto correct CANNOT be blamed for making any errors when messaging? Everyone can see what they have typed BEFORE pressing send. "

so I suppose you are Mr perfect then

XXX pic...
login to view
By *rish_bi_sporty  (M) 11 weeks ago

there are loads of things we can do 1 in major towns and cities with the high student population and or pubs/ nightclubs have a city centre drunk tank where instead of sending to A&E take there where they can triage and supervise until sober staffed my medical teams and other agencies. 2 the government has to stop the fines its dishing to us for not hitting waiting times targets. 3 we need more mental health resources Ie more outreach staff and buildings. 4 the same as 3 but for geriatric care.5 stop health tourists last week in our A&E a guy from Africa said on a plane as it landed he wasn't well heart problems came to A&E with customs officers. he needed cardiac stents. chances of us getting the cash none

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ljcleeve   profile verified by photo (M) 11 weeks ago

The main problem that I see with the current NHS, as with the rest of our government, is a party that it full of promises to improve and increase spending while really being intent upon closing down services etc to give yet more tax relief to the wealthy.

The emphasis on the new plan for the NHS seems to be on prevention rather than cure which has got to be a good thing. Whilst no one can stop people falling ill measures can be made to stop some illnesses. There needs to be a lot more screening to tackle some complaint, like cancer, in their early stages.

It's all very well throwing money at the NHS but if it doesn't get used efficiently then it is wasted. Blair did plenty of that. It does seem to be top-heavy with administration and not very good administration at that. A radical shake up is needed in the way the NHS is run and probably more investment is needed in smaller hospitals that could serve their communities more effectively. I'm not sure how this money will effect the devolved NHS's of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, but at the moment they are in chaos. I think the NHS should be a single UK run organisation.

By *aravaggio  (M) 11 weeks ago

Somebody within politics, has to grasp the metal and tell the truth. That being, that no matter how much cash you throw at the NHS, it cannot possibly be all things to all men. Forever taking this and that under it's wing is a ludicrous course of action. Privatisation of some sort, has to be undertaken, and along with that, comes a different kind of health insurance. Its inevitable, but its such a political hot potato that nobody will tell the truth. The NHS is broken and it cannot possible be fixed.

XXX pic...
login to view

...and the sooner they stop doctors for being the gatekeepers to decent hospital treatment the better.

They're no good at managing the portal when their own self interests and profits are involved.

By *awtyCawty  (M) 11 weeks ago

The NHS needs to be reformed now and treated like a business not a charity. Endless money won’t solve it. I had the misfortune of having to use it last year and I was staggered at the lack of simple organisation and incompetence on view. Nothing to do with cuts, just badly run. It’s private for me from now on.

"The NHS needs to be reformed now and treated like a business not a charity. Endless money won’t solve it. I had the misfortune of having to use it last year and I was staggered at the lack of simple organisation and incompetence on view. Nothing to do with cuts, just badly run. It’s private for me from now on."

The NHS needs to be reformed now and treated like a business not a charity. Endless money won’t solve it. I had the misfortune of having to use it last year and I was staggered at the lack of simple organisation and incompetence on view. Nothing to do with cuts, just badly run. It’s private for me from now on.

You are absolutely right. almost everyone seems to realise this is what is needed but so few will actually stand up and be counted because they are afraid of saying anything critical about the NHS and are afraid to suggest any part of it should be privatised and are afraid to admit that many parts could be cut out altogether.

So it continues (or discontinues) each year as it becomes more and more bogged down with no serious changes.

Whilst this deterioration happens the non thinkers will still be crying about cuts and privatisation and political parties when it is none of those. Maybe it will take a cross-party group to implement the necessary changes but hat party will have to exclude the extremists only interested in themselves.

*hris51234 By  *hris51234    profile verified by photo premium paying member (M) 11 weeks ago

Could this new '10 year plan' rolling out today not be seen as a start to improving the NHS or is it more false hope that will go by the wayside before it's been given a chance, to me, and obviously i can only go on what i have seen and read, it is a step in the right direction and has to be noted that its probably more than previous governments of any party has done to make the health service a priority.

XXX pic...
login to view

"Could this new '10 year plan' rolling out today not be seen as a start to improving the NHS or is it more false hope that will go by the wayside before it's been given a chance, to me, and obviously i can only go on what i have seen and read, it is a step in the right direction and has to be noted that its probably more than previous governments of any party has done to make the health service a priority."

If it was a bold statement made by someone with a history of success in achieving things then, yes, you could be right. Unfortunately, Mrs May does not have a reputation for achievement (putting the current Brexit disaster to one side) even in her 6 years as Home Secretary. She made more mistakes than you could start to count and was rarely around to take the blame.

On Just one issue, net migration into the UK increased from 244,000 in 2010 to 330,000 in 2014 rather than being brought down to less than 100,000 as the Government had committed. Mrs May was the cabinet minister responsible for making the government’s commitment a reality. You could argue that this wasn't her own policy but one of Camerons, and we all now realise what a time waster he was/is.

It seems to me that this new money is a play in trying to bribe the electorate, and her own Ministers, by putting a huge sum into the NHS. I doubt that this will work since there are fundamental issues which exist within the NHS which will be impossible to shift without radical reform.

"Could this new '10 year plan' rolling out today not be seen as a start to improving the NHS or is it more false hope that will go by the wayside before it's been given a chance, to me, and obviously i can only go on what i have seen and read, it is a step in the right direction and has to be noted that its probably more than previous governments of any party has done to make the health service a priority."

I mentioned the vast sums of money being put into the NHS earlier and,of course much has already been invested in fighting mental health issues which had lagged behind in treatments.

As many have said no amopunt of money is going to solve the issue that the NHS is unsustainable without major changes and no party has ever dared to do that yet. We will have to wait and see.

"Could this new '10 year plan' rolling out today not be seen as a start to improving the NHS or is it more false hope that will go by the wayside before it's been given a chance, to me, and obviously i can only go on what i have seen and read, it is a step in the right direction and has to be noted that its probably more than previous governments of any party has done to make the health service a priority.

If it was a bold statement made by someone with a history of success in achieving things then, yes, you could be right. Unfortunately, Mrs May does not have a reputation for achievement (putting the current Brexit disaster to one side) even in her 6 years as Home Secretary. She made more mistakes than you could start to count and was rarely around to take the blame.

On Just one issue, net migration into the UK increased from 244,000 in 2010 to 330,000 in 2014 rather than being brought down to less than 100,000 as the Government had committed. Mrs May was the cabinet minister responsible for making the government’s commitment a reality. You could argue that this wasn't her own policy but one of Camerons, and we all now realise what a time waster he was/is.

It seems to me that this new money is a play in trying to bribe the electorate, and her own Ministers, by putting a huge sum into the NHS. I doubt that this will work since there are fundamental issues which exist within the NHS which will be impossible to shift without radical reform.

"

I agree with your post

But Mrs may makes mistakes that can't be true surely

XXX pic...
login to view

Upon reflection, I cannot see any decision that she has made has benefitted the UK, although I’m sure that there have been some.

It would be a kindness to say that she was inept.

If we had a decent Opposion, they would get my vote.

If it is Mrs May's idea over nhs got to give her credit for trying to sort out the nhs.

It may just be aI think is a step in right direction

Can't see Corbyn doing that at all, when you take a step back you will realise conservatives have a half decent leader certainly not the best but thank the Lord it's not Corbyn or his cronies the Labour Party.

Then the nhs would be doomed

If it is Mrs May's idea over nhs is hers got to give her credit for trying to sort out the nhs.

It may just be aI think is a step in right direction

Can't see Corbyn doing that at all, when you take a step back you will realise conservatives have a half decent leader certainly not the best but thank the Lord it's not Corbyn or his cronies the Labour Party.

Then the nhs would be doomed

Sorry for posting twice guys

I've was in local shop when a couple of mothers came in one said to other I had to take her young one to hospital, as he was having trouble breathing.

The a and e department sent him home with antibiotics chest infection,

A mother will worry but she lives two doors from doctors, who could have come to same conclusion

There should be something put in place so gp can take alittle of stress of a+e,

More walkin centres

"Could this new '10 year plan' rolling out today not be seen as a start to improving the NHS or is it more false hope that will go by the wayside before it's been given a chance, to me, and obviously i can only go on what i have seen and read, it is a step in the right direction and has to be noted that its probably more than previous governments of any party has done to make the health service a priority.

I agree with your post

But Mrs may makes mistakes that can't be true surely "

I admire a lot of what she has done but of course she has made mistakes.

Incidentally the new plans for the NHS were originally constructed by 2500 doctors and health officials and its answering what they have been asking for so it does have some chance of success as long as the opposition do not deliberately scupper it.

By *aravaggio  (M) 11 weeks ago

Maybe you haven't noticed, but the doctors and who scream for more money to be directed towards the NHS, are suddenly conspicuous by their absence when any debate on privatisation is held. It makes me wonder whether they see the NHS as something of a cash cow, and that they realise their substantial earnings would significantly reduce under a general privatisation scheme?

XXX pic...
login to view

"Maybe you haven't noticed, but the doctors and who scream for more money to be directed towards the NHS, are suddenly conspicuous by their absence when any debate on privatisation is held. It makes me wonder whether they see the NHS as something of a cash cow, and that they realise their substantial earnings would significantly reduce under a general privatisation scheme?"

I have a philosophy about altruism - there is very little of it about.

So, if any group is suggesting massive funding to put something right, to me it suggests that there's a gravy train on the tracks.

GPs have already demonstrated their inability to prioritise between income and patient care so they are hardly to be believed/trusted.

XXX pic...
login to view

How about this for "food for thought"

Everyone has an NHS Identity Card (with a picture) and need to present it when requiring any NHS Services. No card, no service (foreigners please note).

GPs get paid a salary and do not need to worry about the cost of follow-up treatment because it's not coming out of their own pockets (this way they can make sure that the patient is guided to the right service as opposed to the cheapest service or just fobbed off because they're getting too expensive).

Hospitals and Services get most of the money for providing the treatments and services.

Follow up care and Old Folks Homes come under the NHS and are funded accordingly.

Now that's a brilliant idea Mr Cheshire, and it would work

By (user no longer on site) 11 weeks ago

"How about this for "food for thought"

Everyone has an NHS Identity Card (with a picture) and need to present it when requiring any NHS Services. No card, no service (foreigners please note).

GPs get paid a salary and do not need to worry about the cost of follow-up treatment because it's not coming out of their own pockets (this way they can make sure that the patient is guided to the right service as opposed to the cheapest service or just fobbed off because they're getting too expensive).

Hospitals and Services get most of the money for providing the treatments and services.

Follow up care and Old Folks Homes come under the NHS and are funded accordingly."

I have an NI card and all at least have a number its called your NI number or are we now going back to the National Identity card which everyone in one breath says they want but then says its like Big Brother and dont want.

So are we now promoting just letting people die if they dont have a NI number/card?

I dont see how the rest of the proposal changes anything people still get treatment and the NHS is even more underfunded as the care homes are another burden that no one wants

*Ybear By *Ybear  (M) 11 weeks ago

A simple way to increase funding and reduce demand would be to extend the prescription charge to GP and hospital appointments and to various tests. People would think twice if they knew they had to pay something towards the cost.

By *artman   premium paying member (M) 11 weeks ago

OAP,s who cant afford more charges,would just go without treatment..I take it you would be happy to pay next time you visit James Pagent

"A simple way to increase funding and reduce demand would be to extend the prescription charge to GP and hospital appointments and to various tests. People would think twice if they knew they had to pay something towards the cost."

so if u are on your arse with out a penny to your name and can't get an advance on wages, and showing strong signs of lung cancer

What should he or she do then

I'm not necessarily agreeing with GYBear but I can see where he is coming from. Pensioners and a lot of other people are exempt from paying prescription charges so that would no doubt still apply. It might make a few think before rushing to the doctor for the slightest ache or pain.

"I'm not necessarily agreeing with GYBear but I can see where he is coming from. Pensioners and a lot of other people are exempt from paying prescription charges so that would no doubt still apply. It might make a few think before rushing to the doctor for the slightest ache or pain."

yes it's a good idea. About those who go for something that an extra hour in bin and some paracetamol.

But what about serious illness and not a penny?

*Ybear By *Ybear  (M) 11 weeks ago

What happens now if someone has a serious illness and cannot afford their prescription?

Most people are exempt from prescription charges and those with long term conditions have “season tickets” that is a monthly fee to cover all prescriptions.

This could not apply to emergency situations but would help to reduce the number of “worried well” using up valuable NHS resources.

People now have to pay for dentistry and it doesn’t stop those in need seeking help.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *arits   premium paying member (TV/TS/CD) 10 weeks ago

There is an emerging crisis with more and more dentists not accepting NHS patients," said Henrik Overgaard-Nielsen, chair of general dental practice at the BDA.

"The government has only commissioned enough dentistry to treat about half the adult population and this is an absolute disgrace."

You mean this dentistry service, perhaps?

*ordic-knight By *ordic-knight   premium paying member (M) 10 weeks ago

I think there is a shortage of dentists in the country let alone NHS ones. I'm still struggling to find one and I've given up trying for an NHS one. All they say is 'try again in 6 months'

By *ikey1973   profile verified by photo (M) 10 weeks ago

It depends where you are in the country. Around Herts and Bucks dentists often have signs outside their premises advertising for NHS patients.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *oondog   profile verified by photo (M) 10 weeks ago

Yes, here in Hertfordshire I've seen a few dentists advertising for nhs patients in my town.

Add a new message to this topic