New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login367303 members (131 yesterday), private messages

cottaging.co.uk > Forums > Politics > public transport

See newest message in thread

public transport

By *annyboy87  (M) 1 week ago

@private mail, +add as contact

Train fare rises have been in news recently, there's also been alot bus fare rises

But alot of complaints over how bad the service you get is

What changes would you make over public transport?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ajor mistake  (M) 1 week ago

i'm semi retired,( work part time from home) and don't tend to use public transport as much as I did, but the other day I got boxed in so had to use the Bus to go into Hastings, a jouney of about 10 mins,now I'm on the main bus route, with a published service of a bus every 10 mins or so, except I stood there for 30 mins, then three busses came together, and I could see a 4th waiting to turn into my road, I would walk it in 20 minutes, so my local service is not very good because you take pot luck, you might get to the stop wait 5 mins, or still be there 30 mins later. so perhaps some jouneys need to be re timed , changed maybe some dropped if it means they run to timetable.

XXX pic...
login to view
By  *aul beach    profile verified by photo premium paying member (M) 1 week ago

"i'm semi retired,( work part time from home) and don't tend to use public transport as much as I did, but the other day I got boxed in so had to use the Bus to go into Hastings, a jouney of about 10 mins,now I'm on the main bus route, with a published service of a bus every 10 mins or so, except I stood there for 30 mins, then three busses came together, and I could see a 4th waiting to turn into my road, I would walk it in 20 minutes, so my local service is not very good because you take pot luck, you might get to the stop wait 5 mins, or still be there 30 mins later. so perhaps some jouneys need to be re timed , changed maybe some dropped if it means they run to timetable. "

Or perhaps reduce all the excessive traffic, roadworks etc. that make it close to impossible for bus services to consistently run to time, add a few more bus lanes for good measure, hey presto, reliable bus service!

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ljcleeve   profile verified by photo (M) 1 week ago

With a 6 mile plus journey to the nearest train station, I have no use whatsoever for trains but would welcome a better, reliable bus service.

My youngest uses the bus to get to work but is often having to change plans when the service/school bus he usually uses doesn't turn up, totally unreliable and unacceptable.

By *aravaggio  (M) 1 week ago

First of all, lets take London, and other large conurbations out of the discussion. If Transport for London were spread across the entire UK, then there would be no problem. So, lets look at how the greater percentage of people live, and how that style of living will increase in then future.

First and foremost, the current method of private organisations offering public transport is laughable. They have to make a profit for both shareholders and to enable continual inward investment. If they continue to offer the kind of service to outlying areas, where increasingly large numbers of people live, then in effect, there will never be a public transport system. It has to be taken into public ownership, nationwide.

Running a service around a central built up area that is highly populated, such as London, is good for both public and those who provide the service … customers everywhere you look, therefore vehicles and trains to satisfy these customers, everywhere you look. Even cabs who charge sensible prices. Wonderful! Why anyone owns a car in London, is beyond me!! However, go to any provincial town, and the story is very different. The larger percentage of people do not live in the town, they inhabit the surrounding countryside in small pockets of dwellings, where a car is an absolute necessity, because no bus provider could offer a service that would be profitable without charging a price that would be self defeating. The trend is for people to leave the more centralised areas for the new estates that are springing up like mushrooms. To run a regular and convenient bus service for these areas cannot possibly be undertaken privately, therefore the only people who can run such a service at a loss, is the government.

Regular and often, and at a price that is affordable …… but it will never happen. The irony is, because of circumstances imposed by government, the way our living has been planned for us, we are a nation of car users, better we accept that fact, and cater for it.

*Ybear By *Ybear  (M) 1 week ago

Electric powered driverless cars are the future of public transport in rural communities. They could pick up a passenger in town take them to an outlying village and just wait there until someone nearby needs transport. With no drivers wages or comfort to consider it could wait for another fare paying customer without costing the company money.

By *annyboy87  (M) 1 week ago

"Electric powered driverless cars are the future of public transport in rural communities. They could pick up a passenger in town take them to an outlying village and just wait there until someone nearby needs transport. With no drivers wages or comfort to consider it could wait for another fare paying customer without costing the company money."

now that's a brilliant idea

XXX pic...
login to view
By *iman60  (M) 1 week ago

"Electric powered driverless cars are the future of public transport in rural communities. They could pick up a passenger in town take them to an outlying village and just wait there until someone nearby needs transport. With no drivers wages or comfort to consider it could wait for another fare paying customer without costing the company money.now that's a brilliant idea "

Whilst a good idea not really practical.

Anything sitting empty costs money, no company would allow that.

Also who would hook up the car to the charging point or by the time the next person got in it it would be out of juice.

By *aravaggio  (M) 1 week ago

"Electric powered driverless cars are the future of public transport in rural communities. They could pick up a passenger in town take them to an outlying village and just wait there until someone nearby needs transport. With no drivers wages or comfort to consider it could wait for another fare paying customer without costing the company money."

I don't think you've thought that idea through, totally impractical on every level. Power source? How many per head of population will be provided? A door to door service to deal with the weekly or monthly shop? Vehicle availability? Breakdown service?? Vandalism within 48 hours of system going live? 50% dismantled and sold to the local scrappy within a year? …….. yeah, great idea …

By *orderguard  (M) 1 week ago

Nice idea but couldn't work. You'd have to have someone watching them 24/7 with a surveillance camera because they would get stolen or vandalised. So they might as well be the driver of the car.

By *ackcarter  (M) 1 week ago

Isn't the cost of the vehicle a cost too?

*Ybear By *Ybear  (M) 7 days ago

I where do you people live, Damascus? I find it is possible to park a car without it being stolen or vandalised. Of course any company running this type of vehicle would have it equipped with the latest security features such as cameras inside and out (which are needed for driverless cars anyway) and real time GPS tracking with a 5G link to a central office.

By *aravaggio  (M) 7 days ago

How many Boris bikes went missing in the first 6 months????

By *poty   profile verified by photo (M) 7 days ago

Only Boris knows the answer to that. And then here will probably double it.

By *aravaggio  (M) 7 days ago

The point I'm trying to make, and to be frank, I thought it a pretty obvious one, is that vehicles such as you describe will not be cheap and will be stuffed with salvageables. They will be stolen, and I have yet to hear about a camera that can see under balaclavas ………. who was that masked man they say? He's the Clone Ranger, Ranger, Ranger … Hi Ho Silver Away! Ride into tomorrow today …. great song!! ….

*Ybear By *Ybear  (M) 7 days ago

The whole point of the tracking is that if the car moves from its assigned location the police can be notified immediately and the car recovered. Why would any thief risk that when they can steal a Ford Focus from anywhere without anyone knowing for sometime and they are a lot easier to sell on.

By *aravaggio  (M) 4 days ago

"The whole point of the tracking is that if the car moves from its assigned location the police can be notified immediately and the car recovered. Why would any thief risk that when they can steal a Ford Focus from anywhere without anyone knowing for sometime and they are a lot easier to sell on."

"The police can be notified immediately" … …. so every time a vehicle moves, even legitimately, the police are informed??? They're going to love that. How does the vehicle know whether its a bonafide movement, or a trip to the scrappy less its black box?

XXX pic...
login to view
By *iman60  (M) 4 days ago

"The whole point of the tracking is that if the car moves from its assigned location the police can be notified immediately and the car recovered. Why would any thief risk that when they can steal a Ford Focus from anywhere without anyone knowing for sometime and they are a lot easier to sell on.

"The police can be notified immediately" … …. so every time a vehicle moves, even legitimately, the police are informed??? They're going to love that. How does the vehicle know whether its a bonafide movement, or a trip to the scrappy less its black box?"

The on board computer should know whether its a valid movement or not BUT the point of this was its in some village somewhere waiting for its next renter.

So 1st how long do you think it would be until our wonderful bobbies with nothing else to do but look after some companies cars take to get to the car , on current form a day or so by which time the thief has switched off the tracker, taken all the IT and most likely left the car.

2nd No one would let a valuable asset sit there not being used for more than an hour or so, so it would be sent to the next caller leaving places with transport.

By *annyboy87  (M) 3 days ago

Looks like no one has seen. That bit of news that the police force as had record number of cuts over last eight years.

So where do they think the man/woman power to chase every stolen driverless car is coming from.

Street crimes are on rise because no police on streets as they haven't got the numbers to do so.

By *aravaggio  (M) 3 days ago

Whatever … its a crap idea and simply isn't feasible, least of all because of the enormous cost involved. That said, given that we're undertaking such pointless projects as HS2, this might be considered a mass employment project, as well. Indeed, make them easily vandalised and hey presto! A whole new repair industry created o/night. That should create a hundred or so jobs in every borough council ….

Add a new message to this topic