New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login365544 members (6 yesterday), private messages

cottaging.co.uk > Forums > Politics > Quentin Letts

See newest message in thread

Quentin Letts

By *aravaggio  (M) 15 weeks ago

@private mail, +add as contact

Here are a couple of books by the above author, that should be compulsory reading for anyone with even a whiff of interest in politics …. they're very entertaining.

1. 50 People Who Buggered Up Britain.

2. Patronising Bastards.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *illanihole  (M) 15 weeks ago

I can feel a trip down to the local library coming on............... Yes we still have one!

*astkenter By *astkenter  (M) 15 weeks ago

I wonder if he includes the ghastly Farage. Just seen the private jet he used at a cost of £12,000 to attend a UKIP rally where he portrayed himself as a man of the people fighting the political elite. Hypocritical lying bastard that he is.

By *ikey1973   profile verified by photo (M) 15 weeks ago

"I wonder if he includes the ghastly Farage. Just seen the private jet he used at a cost of £12,000 to attend a UKIP rally where he portrayed himself as a man of the people fighting the political elite. Hypocritical lying bastard that he is."

Exactly!

*9al By *9al  (M) 15 weeks ago

trump Farage & Macron all claim to be men of the working man but all were born with money have made money by other peoples work & have never done a days real work in there lives .

"trump Farage & Macron all claim to be men of the working man but all were born with money have made money by other peoples work & have never done a days real work in there lives ."

You are right, and there are others too who have attracted support from gullible fools.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *havedchris  (M) 15 weeks ago

Mr Farage does not claim to be a man of the people, others claim this. I have heard the BBC and SKY assert this but he never does. The media likes to label people. Mr Farage of course had a long career working in the city as a stockbroker and must of paid more tax than most of us will ever earn, its called work.

*ordic-knight By *ordic-knight   premium paying member (M) 15 weeks ago

"trump Farage & Macron all claim to be men of the working man but all were born with money have made money by other peoples work & have never done a days real work in there lives ."

Isn't this true of so many politicians whether they be on the hard left, the far right or somewhere in the middle. A large number of our current crop of politicians entered parliament with little knowledge of the world of work other than the dreaming spires of academia or the ivory towers of so-called political research.

What a load of shite!!! …. Farage's father was a stock broker, then an alcoholic, then re-instated as a trader. When he worked, he earnt good money, whats wrong with that? He educated his son privately. Whats wrong with that? Farage was a metals trader, from leaving school to being elected as an MEP, a period of some 18 years.

Is it the fact that he had a well paid job that's upsetting you? Is it the fact that he had the gumption to make something of himself, is that's whats upsetting you? Compared to mainstream politicians, Farage is a shining light. He actually achieves things

"trump Farage & Macron all claim to be men of the working man but all were born with money have made money by other peoples work & have never done a days real work in there lives .

What a load of shite!!! …. Farage's father was a stock broker, then an alcoholic, then re-instated as a trader. When he worked, he earnt good money, whats wrong with that? He educated his son privately. Whats wrong with that? Farage was a metals trader, from leaving school to being elected as an MEP, a period of some 18 years.

Is it the fact that he had a well paid job that's upsetting you? Is it the fact that he had the gumption to make something of himself, is that's whats upsetting you? Compared to mainstream politicians, Farage is a shining light. He actually achieves things"

What a load of shite.

By *awtyCawty  (M) 15 weeks ago

"trump Farage & Macron all claim to be men of the working man but all were born with money have made money by other peoples work & have never done a days real work in there lives .

Is it the fact that he had a well paid job that's upsetting you? Is it the fact that he had the gumption to make something of himself, is that's whats upsetting you? Compared to mainstream politicians, Farage is a shining light. He actually achieves things"

Quite and he doesn’t get paid or get expenses off the state because he isn’t an MP. He is a self-made man. Unlike Corbyn who comes from a rich family and has never done a proper days work in his life.

By *awtyCawty  (M) 15 weeks ago

"I wonder if he includes the ghastly Farage. Just seen the private jet he used at a cost of £12,000 to attend a UKIP rally where he portrayed himself as a man of the people fighting the political elite. Hypocritical lying bastard that he is."

Yeah unlike Corbyn who sits on the floor on trains while living in a £750,000 in London with a £1 million pension having never actually having done a proper days work in his miserable life. Sitting on endless committees supporting miners, homeless, ethnic minorities, Venezuelans, Palestinians, terrorists, poor people etc etc etc etc doesn’t count.

Is it the fact that he had a well paid job that's upsetting you? Is it the fact that he had the gumption to make something of himself, is that's whats upsetting you? Compared to mainstream politicians, Farage is a shining light. He actually achieves things

What a load of shite."

So true, factual statements are shite, are they? …. OK ….

No. What I don't like is his hypocrisy in saying he is fighting against the established political elite while making the most of being one of the privileged elite - private education, a cushy City job, living in a mansion in Kent, using private jets, accepting an enormous pension from the EP, opting for German nationality for his children and so on. That would all be fine if he would just once say that he loves the life of the political elite and only pretends otherwise to feather his own nest. I would happily bet that he will not live in the UK post-Brexit as he knows he will be better off elsewhere and will leave his followers and apologists to suffer the miserable fate he has helped create.

I'm not Farage's biggest fan but what you say is totally true. He has got far more experience of the real world than a good many of those puffed up nonentities lounging on the green seats of the HOC.

Private school followed by the City and then lounging in the EP on the few occasions he attends is the real world? Only for the privileged few.

"Private school followed by the City and then lounging in the EP on the few occasions he attends is the real world? Only for the privileged few."

Thought for a moment you were talking about Mr Corbyn but of course he has never been an MEP or worked in the City or, indeed, worked at all

You know very well I was referring to twat Farage.

"Private school followed by the City and then lounging in the EP on the few occasions he attends is the real world? Only for the privileged few."

I was merely pointing out, and quite correctly too, that erroneous statements concerning his wealth and work ethics, as stated by some on here, were very wide of the mark. You think him privileged? Maybe if a whole lot more people got off their fat arses and did something, they would end up "privileged" aswell. It seems to me, that to many, his crime is having a reasonable education, and then having the wit to do something with it...….. but that's a major fault with Brits, isn't it? We can't abide someone who is better than us …… ….. pathetic!

A privileged twat like Farage has nothing to envy or emulate.

*Ybear By *Ybear  (M) 14 weeks ago

"No. What I don't like is his hypocrisy in saying he is fighting against the established political elite while making the most of being one of the privileged elite - private education, a cushy City job, living in a mansion in Kent, using private jets, accepting an enormous pension from the EP, opting for German nationality for his children and so on. That would all be fine if he would just once say that he loves the life of the political elite and only pretends otherwise to feather his own nest. I would happily bet that he will not live in the UK post-Brexit as he knows he will be better off elsewhere and will leave his followers and apologists to suffer the miserable fate he has helped create."

To be part of the established political elite you have to be a member of an established political party, he created his own.

In this country anyone can give their children a private education but that is the choice of the parents not the child.

As to how cushy his job was I don’t know I didn’t work with him and nor I suspect did you.

He lives in a house that he paid for, so do I, he pays to fly on aeroplanes, so do I, when he retires from his job he will get a works pension, so will I.

His children are entitled to dual nationality as their parents are from different countries that choice is for the children to make when they are 18 and cannot be dictated by their father even if he wanted to.

If you dislike his politics then argue against them rather than objecting to him because of the choices made by his parents and children or the way he lives his life.

By *aravaggio  (M) 14 weeks ago

He's one of the most charismatic politicians of the last 100 years. Let me ask you a question. Irrespective of whether you agree with his politics or not, have you ever listened to him and wondered what the hell he was talking about? No, you haven't. He has that rare skill of getting messages across in clear precise terms. No doublespeak, no verbiage for the sake of it, no waffle. George Galloway isn't far behind him, but he is top man when it comes to galvanising people into action, there is no denying it, much as it may pain some of you.

*astkenter By *astkenter  (M) 14 weeks ago

I have unfortunately listened to him and known that he was talking pure shite.

*ordic-knight By *ordic-knight   premium paying member (M) 14 weeks ago

No question about it Farage is a good speaker whether you agree with him or not. The only bad speech I saw him make was to the EU Parliament when he did waffle in a barely coherent manner. Been sampling all those splendid Belgian beers no doubt.

As for Galloway well I had the misfortune of him staying in my hotel. Rude despicable little man with all the charm of a dead rattle-snake.

XXX pic...
login to view
By  *ountain    profile verified by photo premium paying member (M) 14 weeks ago

Where is he now . Where was he when a good idea or two might have helped . When the real work of leaving the eu was going on .

Nothing ,zilch. Not much of a negotiator.

I agree he is a terrific speaker. Lotsa guys down the pub know all the answer.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *heshire baldie  (M) 14 weeks ago

A lot of the time, that is referred to as Management.

It's also known as profiteering.

By *awtyCawty  (M) 14 weeks ago

"It's also known as profiteering."

Also known as success and ambition

XXX pic...
login to view

"It's also known as profiteering."

Profit isn’t a dirty word, it makes business worthwhile in itself and then results in investment and employment in society. Without profit, there is little point in trade.

I can think of very few people who I would like to be our Prime Minister. David Davis? Jacob Rees-Mogg? …. and the left field candidate? Nigel Farage …. if only he'd join the Tories. Although if we don't leave 29/3 and he does create a Brexit Party, then stand by for an amazing result at the next GE, that would make Trump's victory look commonplace.

"It's also known as profiteering.

Profit isn’t a dirty word, it makes business worthwhile in itself and then results in investment and employment in society. Without profit, there is little point in trade."

If you check in your dictionary, you will find that 'profit' and 'profiteering' are not synonyms.

Would love to know how Farage is guilty of profiteering? Got any provable examples?

Why? Are you intending to sue the twat?

You obviously haven't got any examples, so why make out he's a profiteer?

*Ybear By *Ybear  (M) 14 weeks ago

It has nothing to do with reasonable argument about the issues, it’s simply personal abuse of someone he dislikes, I feel the same way about Piers Morgan.

*ixtyniner By *ixtyniner  (M) 14 weeks ago

"I wonder if he includes the ghastly Farage. Just seen the private jet he used at a cost of £12,000 to attend a UKIP rally where he portrayed himself as a man of the people fighting the political elite. Hypocritical lying bastard that he is.

Exactly! "

Seconded!!

XXX pic...
login to view
By  *ountain    profile verified by photo premium paying member (M) 14 weeks ago

Quentin Letts! The Mails finest journalist.

By *ikey1973   profile verified by photo (M) 14 weeks ago

Indeed. A fine journalist. He is a well informed writer.

"It has nothing to do with reasonable argument about the issues, it’s simply personal abuse of someone he dislikes, I feel the same way about Piers Morgan."

Chuka Umuna could be the second Mother Theresa, but there would be still something utterly detestable about him, as far as I'm concerned ……. funny, isn't it, how we take an absolute gut hatred towards certain people without any definable reason?

Happens all the time. I dislike Trump, Farage and Katy Hopkins for their ideas and arrogant braying but I have a gut reaction against Huw Edwards for no particular reason.

*ordic-knight By *ordic-knight   premium paying member (M) 14 weeks ago

We all have our like and dislikes. Having different views to ones own doesn't necessarily me a personal hatred. The ones I really cannot abide are Emily Thornberry, Ian Duncan Smith, Laura Kuenssberg, Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand. As soon as any of them come on TV I tend to either switch channels or press mute.

XXX pic...
login to view

"It's also known as profiteering.

Profit isn’t a dirty word, it makes business worthwhile in itself and then results in investment and employment in society. Without profit, there is little point in trade.

If you check in your dictionary, you will find that 'profit' and 'profiteering' are not synonyms."

I apologise, I should have asked the audience.

"Happens all the time. I dislike Trump, Farage and Katy Hopkins for their ideas and arrogant braying but I have a gut reaction against Huw Edwards for no particular reason."

He's a supercilious git.... a good enough reason, Oh! .. and Welsh …..

"We all have our like and dislikes. Having different views to ones own doesn't necessarily me a personal hatred. The ones I really cannot abide are Emily Thornberry, Ian Duncan Smith, Laura Kuenssberg, Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand. As soon as any of them come on TV I tend to either switch channels or press mute."

I'm actually starting to warm to the Kuenssberg woman …. great legs and a nice arse help .. . Our Em' ??? Where do we start with that lump of pretend posh lard. If ever there was a reason for having the sanities of High Court Judges, she's it... . I'm afraid that Messrs Ross and Brand are a result of our own mass stupidity. Neither are clever humourists, they just pander to the moronic mindsets of the uneducated masses …. and the BB Bloody C chooses to employ them??? Mind you, under their charter, they do feel obliged to effect a "Noah's Ark" kind of approach to employment, don't they?

Add a new message to this topic