New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login365543 members (6 yesterday), private messages

cottaging.co.uk > Forums > Politics > Farmers and Brexit

See newest message in thread

Farmers and Brexit

By *aravaggio  (M) 14 weeks ago

@private mail, +add as contact

Listened last night to a UK beef producer bemoaning the fact that we were leaving the EU. Here are a couple of interesting facts.

18% of UK produced beef is exported.

UK is only 75% self sufficient in beef products.

Now, I'm not the world's greatest mathematician, but why are we selling ANY beef when we have a home production deficit? Why is the UK farmer moaning about not being able to sell into the EU when there is a home market? Is it because the EU buys at inflated prices? If so, that is just another example of how twisted and unstable an organisation it is.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

*Ybear By *Ybear  (M) 14 weeks ago

Beef is not an homogeneous product, there are different cuts and different levels of quality. The high quality beef commands a premium price but is only bought by a few. Aberdeen Angus beef raised in Scotland is an obvious example and foodies across Europe are happy to pay the higher price.

Most of us only want cheap beef and are happy to have a cheaper Irish product.

Well, these are the sort of changes that Brexit will help bring about. Foodwise, we have far too much choice, nowadays. Whats wrong with seasonality in our diet? Do we really need crap tasting strawberries during winter and spring? Lettuce all year round, why? In fact, most of the fruit from abroad is picked at such an unripe stage that its impossible for it to taste as it should do some 6 weeks later. Plums? Supermarkets should be done under the trade descriptions act …. does that still exist? Evidently not. It was incorporated in the EU Unfair Commercial Practices Directive. Do 'em anyway! Why do we buy veg' from abroad? Spuds, cabbage various, colly, carrots, broccoli, winter greens, sprouts, beans, parsnip …… its all available throughout the year, as any keen gardener will tell you.

Bring back rationing …. that'll sort out a few, and also teach people how to cook properly.

*ordic-knight By *ordic-knight   premium paying member (M) 14 weeks ago

So that's your idea of the good old days is it Mr C?By putting the 'great' back in Britain you really mean the 'grate' i.e. the pan of gruel on the kitchen range instead of the haute cusine on the induction hob

By *ikey1973   profile verified by photo (M) 14 weeks ago

Nothing wrong with a bit of gruel.

By *annyboy87  (M) 14 weeks ago

Rationing wasn't that all the way back in stone age.

And I guess gruel was too where it belongs

"So that's your idea of the good old days is it Mr C?By putting the 'great' back in Britain you really mean the 'grate' i.e. the pan of gruel on the kitchen range instead of the haute cusine on the induction hob

"

You mean you DON'T have an AGA Mr NK?? Nah! neither do I. I cannot think of many things that are quite so posey, and equally such a waste of thousands of pounds. I object to having to plan ahead by a week and a half to fry an egg!! .. Friends of ours bought one recently, problem being, they live in one of these upside down houses …. kitchen on the first floor. So, after having to spend some £7K on strengthening the kitchen floor to take the weight, and of course another £17K on new kitchen units to match the "ambience" of the AGA, they were quite pissed off when I pointed out to them that hot air rises, and the projected saving on heating that the salesman had spieled them on was going to be non-existant. We're going round to dinner on Friday, slow roast shoulder of lamb, evidently she put it in this Sunday evening just gone, and the veg has been on since this morning ….

No Mr C I don't have an AGA in this house. Used to have one where I lived once. Didn't heat the hot water properly and took forever to cook anything.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *heshire baldie  (M) 14 weeks ago

"So that's your idea of the good old days is it Mr C?By putting the 'great' back in Britain you really mean the 'grate' i.e. the pan of gruel on the kitchen range instead of the haute cusine on the induction hob

You mean you DON'T have an AGA Mr NK?? Nah! neither do I. I cannot think of many things that are quite so posey, and equally such a waste of thousands of pounds. I object to having to plan ahead by a week and a half to fry an egg!! .. Friends of ours bought one recently, problem being, they live in one of these upside down houses …. kitchen on the first floor. So, after having to spend some £7K on strengthening the kitchen floor to take the weight, and of course another £17K on new kitchen units to match the "ambience" of the AGA, they were quite pissed off when I pointed out to them that hot air rises, and the projected saving on heating that the salesman had spieled them on was going to be non-existant. We're going round to dinner on Friday, slow roast shoulder of lamb, evidently she put it in this Sunday evening just gone, and the veg has been on since this morning …. "

You make me laugh mr C - no really, you do, and in a nice way - a great sense of humour.

I agree with your sentiments, I adore asparagus, but I’ll be buggered if I’ll buy a farty pack of it produced in bloody Peru.

I used to grow asparagus a few years ago …. I found, that in order to make it worthwhile, you had to wait an eternity for that small window of opportunity (the growing season), then, at first light, sneak up on it and snip it off before it had a chance to harden into something resembling liquorice root (our younger viewers will not recognise the simile) ….. Ah! … for one old penny, you could chew contentedly for the better part of a week ….. on liquorice root, and occasionally, my asparagus ..

Well I don't like asparagus or liquorice.

I wonder why our taste buds are so different? One would have thought that we would have been designed to all recognise the taste of danger/poison, therefore there must be extreme similarities in our tasting abilities??? Mind you, there are those that "don't like" having never even tasted the item in question, not that I'm suggesting you, Mr NK, are one of those.

No Mr C I am not. I will eat asparagus if dining with friends but don't care for it. I genuinely hate liquorice.

By *ikey1973   profile verified by photo (M) 14 weeks ago

"No Mr C I am not. I will eat asparagus if dining with friends but don't care for it. I genuinely hate liquorice."

I find asparagus a bit tasteless and liquorice gives me the shits .. badly!

Asparagus is nice with. Steak. But liquorice is so bloody fowl

By *otoned  (M) 14 weeks ago

"Asparagus is nice with. Steak. But liquorice is so bloody fowl "

Asparagus served with hollandaise sauce , delicious but it has to be young and fresh

"Asparagus is nice with. Steak. But liquorice is so bloody fowl "

Can't stand liquorice at the best of times but liquorice sauce on chicken? YUK

You must be a crazy man if have tried liquorice sauce on chicken

By *aravaggio  (M) 13 weeks ago

Last week I had roast duck with a liquorice and merlot sauce ….. delicious! I've also had it with pigeon, but duck suits it far better.

By *annyboy87  (M) 13 weeks ago

"Last week I had roast duck with a liquorice and merlot sauce ….. delicious! I've also had it with pigeon, but duck suits it far better."

liquorice is so foul buteeveryone taste buds are different

But pigeon they rats with wings

You never had rat onna stick, Danny? Its very much enhanced by an application of good quality ketchup.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *oondog   profile verified by photo (M) 13 weeks ago

Maybe crunchy frog would be better

Or even better still...........albatross

By *ikey1973   profile verified by photo (M) 13 weeks ago

"Maybe crunchy frog would be better

Or even better still...........albatross "

Albatross! You wouldn’t want one of those hanging on your neck.

I find a bag of wolf's nipples keeps me going when the old energy levels start to flag. Rat Onna Stick can't really be classified as street food, its more a knife and fork jobby, even with the help of the stick..... plus, you can't always find the right ketchup …

"I find a bag of wolf's nipples keeps me going when the old energy levels start to flag. Rat Onna Stick can't really be classified as street food, its more a knife and fork jobby, even with the help of the stick..... plus, you can't always find the right ketchup … "

I hope you are just being funny Mr c rat onna stick rats see vermin

Danny, go to any restaurant that caters specifically for people who have a height disadvantage, and you will find that Rat features heavily on both their a la carte menu and their specials board. I would warn you though, that the background music can be a little repetitive if you are not au fait avec la culture predominent.

"Danny, go to any restaurant that caters specifically for people who have a height disadvantage, and you will find that Rat features heavily on both their a la carte menu and their specials board. I would warn you though, that the background music can be a little repetitive if you are not au fait avec la culture predominent."

must be a southern thing lol

XXX pic...
login to view

No, it's a C.M.O.T Dibbler thing!

Much missed

Should have known it wasn't for real, if I remember correctly c.m.o.t dibbler is something from terry patchett disc world

Nice one

*ordic-knight By *ordic-knight   premium paying member (M) 13 weeks ago

Once again this is all my fault. I diverted this thread having a laugh at a typo and now I am totally confused

XXX pic...
login to view

"Once again this is all my fault. I diverted this thread having a laugh at a typo and now I am totally confused "

Have your rats come home to roost NK?

"Once again this is all my fault. I diverted this thread having a laugh at a typo and now I am totally confused

Have your rats come home to roost NK? "

Well I used to make a fine pigeon in red wine casserole but never a rat one

XXX pic...
login to view

Pigeon is a bit gamey for me!

I can eat any amount of duck but not pigeon. I'd rather eat rat (and probably have lol)

I've eaten cat …. honestly! Very tasty, too. A cross between chicken and steak. Algerian restaurants in Marseilles used to sell it as a "steak sandwich". Mind you, this is going back some 45/50 years, probably not allowed anymore. Also, whilst I never used the Indian restaurant in Question, there was one on the outskirts of Petersfield, where half a butchered Alsation was found in the fridge. It was quite a popular place if memory serves me right, but they were closed down because of it. I imagine we have all eaten Horse, either knowingly or unknowingly, and there is nothing wrong with that. I often wonder what Badger tastes like???

I used to have a good friend who was an EHO and she told me that she closed a Chinese restaurant down after finding parts of cats and dogs in their freezers. Evidently badgers were eaten during WWII in some country areas to supplement meat rationing. They were referred to a badger hams and, of course, the badger is a distant cousin to the pig. Evidently hedgehog is considered a delicacy with the Gypsy fraternity. About 30 years ago a Herefordshire pub was famed for selling Squirrel Casserole but the little green people kicked up a fuss so they stopped. After all a grey squirrel is only a rat with an Afro tail

Add a new message to this topic