New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login364720 members (1 yesterday), private messages

cottaging.co.uk > Forums > Politics > covid 19

See newest message in thread

covid 19

XXX pic...
login to view
By *otts63bi  (M) 15 weeks ago

@private mail, +add as contact

this shows the world situation with covid 19

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *eros54  (M) 15 weeks ago

I’ve already got an app for quick updates but the site you mentioned has some very good information and statistics.

By *poty   profile verified by photo (M) 15 weeks ago

Boris has got the virus. It just proves he don't wash his hands ,like he don't do his Hair ether.

By *esperate jon  (M) 15 weeks ago

A doctor told me it's a winter flu virus with a stronger strain. Reported August/September Last year when the southern hemisphere was going through their winter. But the northern hemisphere are only acting now?? He also said 20.000 people in the UK approximately die of the winter flu virus as they have underline health ailments and sadly those who have died this year have had serious health issues with this bug. It's the immune systems that fight off the virus and those with health issues should take extra care of themselves. I don't and can't understand why the whole world has gone into shut down. If you are fit and healthy your immune system will fight this, period. To me you may think I'm being small minded to say this but please chill out, keep calm, look after yourselves and get back to normal. Yes I do blame the government for creating a crisis as they knew of this Last year and we have ourselves also to blame for not listening to what we were told late last year!! If we had followed them guide line's maybe we would not be in this panic ridden country we call the UK.. Boris Johnson you were warned last year and your government have yourselves to blame too. As for Boris himself he has a bad cold with the stress he's bought apon himself. Sorry that's my opinion and I'm allowed to voice mine...

*etropolis By *etropolis   profile verified by photo (M) 15 weeks ago

"Boris has got the virus. It just proves he don't wash his hands ,like he don't do his Hair ether."

It doesn't prove anything. Washing hands is a precaution. The virus is predominantly airborne.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ollydee   premium paying member (M) 15 weeks ago

We all have our opinions but this isn't just a flu outbreak, this covid 19 is 20 times more virulent than flu. Flu kills 0.4 of people infected, this virus is killing 3.5 of people infected to date. The majority of dead all had underlying health problems but not all. They wont have a vaccine for at least a year.

*ordic-knight By *ordic-knight   premium paying member (M) 15 weeks ago

From what we hear the average healthy person experiences symptom rather like so-called 'man flu i.e. a very bad common cold. Certainly not like proper flu [influenza] where you can't even walk. Most who will die from it will have underlying illnesses. Although older people are more vulnerable some very elderly have amazingly recovered.

As for the government not preparing for it last autumn well if they prepared for every virus from everywhere in the world, we would be on permanent lockdown. Let's face it we were all going to be wiped out by Sars, Avian Flu and goodness knows what else over the last few years.

As for it being a pandemic in the Southern Hemisphere last summer [their winter] well I have doubts about that. Not saying it did not exist but it was not reported and my friends in Western Australia had never heard of it until now.

*essa_M By  *essa_M    profile verified by photo premium paying member (TV/TS/CD) 15 weeks ago

"Boris has got the virus. It just proves he don't wash his hands ,like he don't do his Hair ether."

Bozo has caught the virus you say. Oh Dear. One feels for the virus

By *eros54  (M) 15 weeks ago

Joking apart it does show that no-one is safe. I do hope Johnson recovers quickly (as I would feel for anyone unfortunate enough to be infected) as we need our leaders at this present devastating time in our history.

Boris Johnson has tested positive for the virus as has health secretary Matt Hancock and opposition front bencher Angela Raynor. I feel we should wish them, and all the others who have succumbed to the disease, a speedy recovery. Those who make cheap jibes should be ashamed of themselves. You may not like their politics but they are human beings.

XXX pic...
login to view

Too true I hope Bojo has a speedy recovery and all the others worldwide too, it is a terrible thing to do to wish someone ill feelings when they get this horrible virus, get well soon Boris.

By *ugbydad  (M) 15 weeks ago

As usual, extremely well expressed Nordic Knight.

I endorse your sentiments totally. It will be interesting to see how quickly the likes of Mountain and Eastkenter add their kind thoughts as well. I won't hold my breath in the meantime!!

XXX pic...
login to view

Well said, it is shameful to use this virus to score points.

Not wishing any ill on any one including Boris and yes wish him a speedy recovery and get this country back on track?? Some people can work but aren't allowed, I'm desperate to get back to work I'm going stir crazy and if he didn't divver and dally in December/January and put it into action then maybe we would not be in this situation now??

*astkenter By *astkenter  (M) 15 weeks ago

"As usual, extremely well expressed Nordic Knight.

I endorse your sentiments totally. It will be interesting to see how quickly the likes of Mountain and Eastkenter add their kind thoughts as well. I won't hold my breath in the meantime!! "

You are doing exactly what you criticise others for - singling out people for your nasty comments. If you read any of my recent posts you will see that I wish EVERYONE well. I do not believe it is necessary to wish any one person well at this time - that is just virtue-signalling. You may just as well aim your barbs at anyone who has not put up a public message wishing Prince Charles or any other individual well. This is a very serious situation and you should try to be more mature about it and stop sniping at posters whose political views you do not share. And I will finish with my usual message wishing EVERYONE strength, courage and health.

"Well said, it is shameful to use this virus to score points."

I agree. That is just what one person has tried to do by singling out other posters by name and putting them down. This truly is a time for that old-fashioned virtue of solidarity.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *iona_cduk  (TV/TS/CD) 15 weeks ago

"Well said, it is shameful to use this virus to score points.

I agree. That is just what one person has tried to do by singling out other posters by name and putting them down. This truly is a time for that old-fashioned virtue of solidarity."

said with a bent towards Highgate Cemetery. What’s life if you can’t tweak the tail and make others chuckle!!

I agree. That is just what one person has tried to do by singling out other posters by name and putting them down. This truly is a time for that old-fashioned virtue of solidarity.said with a bent towards Highgate Cemetery. What’s life if you can’t tweak the tail and make others chuckle!!"

Wot?

*etropolis By *etropolis   profile verified by photo (M) 15 weeks ago

"Boris has got the virus. It just proves he don't wash his hands ,like he don't do his Hair ether.

Bozo has caught the virus you say. Oh Dear. One feels for the virus "

You sad creature.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *iona_cduk  (TV/TS/CD) 15 weeks ago

I agree. That is just what one person has tried to do by singling out other posters by name and putting them down. This truly is a time for that old-fashioned virtue of solidarity.said with a bent towards Highgate Cemetery. What’s life if you can’t tweak the tail and make others chuckle!!

Wot?"

Well the tweak is Highgate Cemetery is where Karl Marx is buried. What’s the fun in being too direct. Young Boris is a polymath and I’m sure that would have raised a chuckle (albeit a slightly coughing one) when he read that.

I’ve stood on picket lines in my life and I can understand both sides of the politco. Perhaps we should keep this forum for just wild sex??

XXX pic...
login to view
By *illanihole  (M) 15 weeks ago

On a less serious note, for

the PM

the HEALTH Minister and

the CHIEF Medical officer to go down with it made me laugh especially the latter two. Script writers would be wondering why they hadnt come up with this im sure

*essa_M By  *essa_M    profile verified by photo premium paying member (TV/TS/CD) 15 weeks ago

"Boris has got the virus. It just proves he don't wash his hands ,like he don't do his Hair ether.

Bozo has caught the virus you say. Oh Dear. One feels for the virus

You sad creature."

Not so sad I wish Bozo all the best. If he has to endure a bit of pain, I have heard it's good for the soul, even though I don't believe in such things. You may have noticed the three little smiley faces at the end of the comment you illiterate numpty.

Also, I have very pragmatic reasons for wishing Bozo well. His replacement is Dominic Rabb. I wouldn’t wish him on you never mind the rest of the country, and if we take the order of succession further. The Home secretary Pritti would have her finger on the nuclear button if Rabb goes sick. That’s a scenario the planet wouldn’t wish for.

Really Tessa M, caking someone an 'illiterate numpty' is not only uncalled for but totally untrue. Okay so your comment was tongue-in-cheek and carried an element of [failed] sarcasm. Doesn't let you off the hook at all. It was still uncalled for and had unpleasant implications however hard you try to justify it

By *ugbydad  (M) 15 weeks ago

I think you are being unfair Desperate jon. Although there had been some sporadic reports about the virus in some news media outlets in late Decemeber '19 early January, the cornavirus issue only became front page news in this country on Thursday January 23rd; so whilst it is convenient to say that the government has had 'four months' to handle this issue, making it look as though they have been very slow in coming to terms with this crisis, in reality the realistic time frame from which I feel it is fair to judge the government's re-action is in fact TWO MONTHS & FIVE DAYS.

This would have been true around the whole of Europe. The Government then decided to adopt a staggered policy towards the disease. rather than close the whole country down towards the end of January. And would the majority of the population have been happy to have their civil liberties taken away from them at that time when there was no concrete evidence it was going to hit Europe in the same way as it did in China, and therefore such a re-action would have been co-productive?

Of course, there have been mistakes and delays. That is only to be expected when handling a disease of this magnitude which has never struck the whole world in quite the same way before. I defy you to say that any government of what ever persuasion would not have made the same or similar mistakes if they were handling the crisis.

I do worry about exactly how long this crisis is going to be with us, because I think it will take several months, and possibly years, before we know exactly how we are going to overcome this; but for now I hope the country get's behind it's government and acts upon ALL the measures they are having to impose at this time.

I don't want to make this a political argument at this time, but I would ask you Desperate jon, do you think Corbyn would have been as quick to announce he had succumbed to the virus if he was in the same position as our current Prime Minister?

I think the giveaway word in your post D.j was the 'MAYBE' you used in your last sentence.

By *ohnBoy67  (M) 15 weeks ago

If Corbyn was PM, he'd still be dithering, mumbling, talking to his fellow Commies wondering what the fuck to do....

Boris has done ok; but personally, I think the whole world should have acted more decisively much earlier. I'd have stopped all flights in & out of China, traced everyone who had returned from China the previous week and those they'd come into close contact with. That is what I think South Korea did, and they're in a better position than us, yet a damn site close to the problem.

This is not a time for political point-scoring and 'ifs and ands'. No government in any country can know for certain what measures will or won't work and we have to just trust that they are working in good faith. Suggesting that things would have been better/worse under any particular leader in any country are pure speculation and not helpful. Thankfully many leaders are taking the crisis seriously and not adopting the 'it will all be over by Easter' stance, which is clearly ridiculous.

Please _ugbydad don't start slandering me, the forums are here to voice your opinions and I've voiced mine as I'm angry with the way it's being handled. Like many people out there I've had to shut my shop which I pride myself, it's people like you that think your the only voice on here, just be nice about people on this site and if you don't like what they've said ignore it and don't be rude about people on here.

*usansilkysubcd By *usansilkysubcd  (TV/TS/CD) 15 weeks ago

"A doctor told me it's a winter flu virus with a stronger strain. Reported August/September Last year when the southern hemisphere was going through their winter. But the northern hemisphere are only acting now?? He also said 20.000 people in the UK approximately die of the winter flu virus as they have underline health ailments and sadly those who have died this year have had serious health issues with this bug. It's the immune systems that fight off the virus and those with health issues should take extra care of themselves. I don't and can't understand why the whole world has gone into shut down. If you are fit and healthy your immune system will fight this, period. To me you may think I'm being small minded to say this but please chill out, keep calm, look after yourselves and get back to normal. Yes I do blame the government for creating a crisis as they knew of this Last year and we have ourselves also to blame for not listening to what we were told late last year!! If we had followed them guide line's maybe we would not be in this panic ridden country we call the UK.. Boris Johnson you were warned last year and your government have yourselves to blame too. As for Boris himself he has a bad cold with the stress he's bought apon himself. Sorry that's my opinion and I'm allowed to voice mine..."

Im sorry but to say this is a winter virus reported in August September is complete bollocks. It has been proven beyond doubt that Covid 19 originated in China in November. A doctor there reported it, was arrested and then subsequently died from it. It spread further because China decided not to tell anyone about it until January. You need a new doctor.

"Really Tessa M, caking someone an 'illiterate numpty' is not only uncalled for but totally untrue. Okay so your comment was tongue-in-cheek and carried an element of [failed] sarcasm. Doesn't let you off the hook at all. It was still uncalled for and had unpleasant implications however hard you try to justify it"

Really, I'll take your comments with the appropriate pinch of salt.

Frankly Mr NK Bozo’s health means less to me now than when I made the "tongue-in-cheek" comment. But I still have sympathy for any living thing that has to share his body

Thank you for bringing me back to reality

Meanwhile back in reality no one else, apart from you, knows who this mythical creature, Bozo, is or why you are so down upon him.

"Meanwhile back in reality no one else, apart from you, knows who this mythical creature, Bozo, is or why you are so down upon him."

Why would you worry. You don't know him, haven't heard of him. Perhaps he's one of the mythical unicorns waiting to pull in the delivery chariots from the mythical Empire of days of yore.

I notice your sense of humour transplant has failed at least Bozo and Co can’t be blamed for that

Some people on here wouldn't know what a sense of humour was if it jumped out in front of them

"Some people on here wouldn't know what a sense of humour was if it jumped out in front of them"

Indeed

By *ohnBoy67  (M) 15 weeks ago

You're right EK; perhaps I should n't have had that cheap shot at Mr. C, but knew you'd respond.

However, I totally agree with you, re a certain political leader, thinking it'll be over by Easter! How deluded can some people be?

By *ugbydad  (M) 14 weeks ago

I was not slandering you Desperate jon, I merely wrote stating some facts which I felt were relevant to the discussion. You are right to express your anger, and as a former self-employed person myself, I completely understand your frustrations, and where they are coming from.

If, as you allege, I am rude to people like EastKenter and Mountain, it is only because they have been rude to me in the past. I treat people with civility and kindness which is how I expect to be treated myself. But the two aforementioned gentlemen have plenty of history on this and other forums, and there are times when I can't help but express my frustrations with them... I hope things work out for you in your personal life. Take care and stay healthy.

By *esperate jon  (M) 14 weeks ago

Rugbydad thank you for responding, yes you said you can feel the frustration the likes of myself are going through, I don't like to get into spats on the site and never will, it's all the differing the government is handling this crisis, just now on BBC Michael gove has admitted they knew of this late last year and now only responding to it 5?months later. When I shut my shop up on Monday thinking was going back in on Tuesday then told stay at home it was the biggest kick in the crutch I've had since giving up rugby!! They say they are going to help the likes of me the self employed but I can assure you we are the back of the pecking order, if they responded back Las year maybe we could have shown the rest of the world how fantastic our NHS really is?? Boris said 3 weeks we may get back to normal but now saying June /July, the likes of me don't have that time. You too look after yourself..n

*astkenter By *astkenter  (M) 14 weeks ago

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why politicians, advisors and others are getting tested when many on the NHS front line aren't? This is not an implied criticism, just wondering about the reason for that. Perhaps I am missing something obvious.

Please please please read Trevor kavanagh in the sun news paper today?? That's said it all. He has given me faith in all what I've said about this crazy situation the country is in....

By *amekeeper  (M) 14 weeks ago

Eastkenter - Animal farm springs to mind, and we all know what happened to the willing workhorse.

By *eros54  (M) 14 weeks ago

"Out of curiosity, does anyone know why politicians, advisors and others are getting tested when many on the NHS front line aren't? This is not an implied criticism, just wondering about the reason for that. Perhaps I am missing something obvious."

I think it’s natural and probably correct to look at those who are in charge of organising everything for the millions of others. If these people are tested and perhaps had the virus, then they would be safe to work with other ministers and doctors and scientists without the sane risks of infecting them.

Tricky times.

*orum reader By *orum reader  (M) 14 weeks ago

"Please please please read Trevor kavanagh in the sun news paper today?? That's said it all. He has given me faith in all what I've said about this crazy situation the country is in...."

I have read the Trevor Kavanagh column

And was not impressed with his veiw of things he has a track record of outlandish theories mostly with no factual support

So I personally wont be taking much notice of what he says

"Out of curiosity, does anyone know why politicians, advisors and others are getting tested when many on the NHS front line aren't? This is not an implied criticism, just wondering about the reason for that. Perhaps I am missing something obvious.

I think it’s natural and probably correct to look at those who are in charge of organising everything for the millions of others. If these people are tested and perhaps had the virus, then they would be safe to work with other ministers and doctors and scientists without the sane risks of infecting them.

Tricky times. "

I must still be missing something obvious as it seems to me that NHS staff and other essential services should be the absolute priority for testing as they will be on the front line saving lives. Can't members of government and the Royal Family (for instance) work remotely 'from home' like other people? Doctors and nurses can't do that. Maybe the comparison with Animal Farm referred to above has some validity?

Is there really a testing kit that says you have the coronavirus?? Where did it come from?? And why as they knew it was coming did they not up the supplies?? Did they think we would not be effected by this stronger winter flu virus?? Or have they the government only just realised it's here!! Is there a cure to this?? Who knows the truth as I don't even think the way the government and media knows what is going on but all they seem To harp on about is the NHS!! Only now they are recognised and why now???

Just heard something interesting on a phone-in programme asking about potential silver linings of this crisis. One caller suggested that we might move towards leaders who are wise rather than just popular. An interesting concept but can't say I am overly optimistic about such a shift happening. I can't imagine many of the 'popular' leaders moving to the sidelines graciously.

By *eros54  (M) 14 weeks ago

"Just heard something interesting on a phone-in programme asking about potential silver linings of this crisis. One caller suggested that we might move towards leaders who are wise rather than just popular. An interesting concept but can't say I am overly optimistic about such a shift happening. I can't imagine many of the 'popular' leaders moving to the sidelines graciously."

Using logic (my logic anyway) even a leader who was as wise as the proverbial owl would still need to be voted in so popularity would still be the deciding factor. Perhaps if each leader had genuine independent experts in their cabinet and not just a pick’n’mix of oldies who they shuffle around.

Seeing Johnson with medical and scientific experts beside him has made a world of difference to how the information has been received.

It has always seemed to me that all parties believe that any minister can do any job ... even when they clearly can’t.

That is what is implied by 'wise rather than just popular'. It would be wonderful if we moved towards the wiser people being the most popular (the ideal scenario) but there is no great evidence to suggest that in some parts of the world at the moment. Think, for instance, of the leader who thinks vodka and hot-tubs will cure the virus and is very popular in his country. There are other obvious examples too. Trouble is they may prove to be the wise men (though I seriously doubt it) and none of us can possibly know about the wisdom of any particular leader until we have weathered the crisis and can then make an informed retrospective judgement. It's still very much dancing in the dark at the moment and hoping for the best. Stay safe and well everyone.

*ordic-knight By *ordic-knight   premium paying member (M) 14 weeks ago

Can't see these 'wise' men suddenly taking over. Things don't work like that. There will always be politicians and some will be populists. Whether they will be wise will be debatable.

Leaders of various countries have taken differing approaches to this pandemic. Some perhaps a bit over-the-top, some a bit blasé and others erring on the side of caution. Having the experts sharing a platform with our leaders, s as to explain things better, has got to be a good thing.

Besides, apart from those countries holding elections this year, this pandemic will hopefully be long over and long forgotten before a good many leaders are up for re-election.

*orum reader By *orum reader  (M) 14 weeks ago

I doubt it will be Forgotten

I too doubt it will be forgotten quickly and the social impact is likely to continue for a long time.

*ordic-knight By *ordic-knight   premium paying member (M) 14 weeks ago

All depends how long this lockdown goes on for and the economic implications afterwards

*usansilkysubcd By *usansilkysubcd  (TV/TS/CD) 14 weeks ago

I don’t think people will forget that idiot Corbyns conduct in this crisis. I’m not saying Boris has done a perfect job, all leaders have made mistakes, but the incessant posturing and sniping and point scoring by Corbyn has been despicable. I have many labour friends who even think Boris has done a good job under the circumstances and are pretty pissed off with the Corbynator and his actions during this and can’t wait to see the back of him.

Seems like some people still don't get the message. When I did my walk earlier I saw many people who had driven to this spot for picnics in groups of up to six. On the positive side, I passed a lad from my street walking his dog - he was clearly commando in his tracksuit bottoms and was finding it exciting. He saw me looking at his huge bulge (looked like he had a semi on) and just smiled and said 'Alright mate'. A moment to treasure

By *ikey1973   profile verified by photo (M) 9 weeks ago

"We all have our opinions but this isn't just a flu outbreak, this covid 19 is 20 times more virulent than flu. Flu kills 0.4 of people infected, this virus is killing 3.5 of people infected to date. The majority of dead all had underlying health problems but not all. They wont have a vaccine for at least a year."

XXX pic...
login to view
By *cousedpw   profile verified by photo (M) 9 weeks ago

"Seems like some people still don't get the message. When I did my walk earlier I saw many people who had driven to this spot for picnics in groups of up to six. On the positive side, I passed a lad from my street walking his dog - he was clearly commando in his tracksuit bottoms and was finding it exciting. He saw me looking at his huge bulge (looked like he had a semi on) and just smiled and said 'Alright mate'. A moment to treasure "

Every cloud has a silver lining.

*etropolis By *etropolis   profile verified by photo (M) 9 weeks ago

I had a new telly delivered on Monday. The chap from John Lewis was very tasty, probably 25-ish. He said hello and asked how I was coping. I said I was ok but also said it was hotter inside (it was cold outside). When I said this he stared at my crotch and smiled. How nice it is having a young man who understands a bit of inuendo. Now, what can I order from John Lewis.......

XXX pic...
login to view
By *nello  (M) 9 weeks ago

"I had a new telly delivered on Monday. The chap from John Lewis was very tasty, probably 25-ish. He said hello and asked how I was coping. I said I was ok but also said it was hotter inside (it was cold outside). When I said this he stared at my crotch and smiled. How nice it is having a young man who understands a bit of inuendo. Now, what can I order from John Lewis......."

What about to Oder this guy from John Lewis?????

But when delivery arrive ask to help with installation)))))

P.s.

Congratulations with a new telly!

By *ikey1973   profile verified by photo (M) 9 weeks ago

"I had a new telly delivered on Monday. The chap from John Lewis was very tasty, probably 25-ish. He said hello and asked how I was coping. I said I was ok but also said it was hotter inside (it was cold outside). When I said this he stared at my crotch and smiled. How nice it is having a young man who understands a bit of inuendo. Now, what can I order from John Lewis.......

What about to Oder this guy from John Lewis?????

But when delivery arrive ask to help with installation)))))

P.s.

Congratulations with a new telly!"

Asking: will you be putting it in for me?

*etropolis By *etropolis   profile verified by photo (M) 9 weeks ago

They aren't installing at the moment as they aren't allowed in anyones home.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *udekeith  (M) 9 weeks ago

"They aren't installing at the moment as they aren't allowed in anyones home."

Brings a whole new meaning to door stepping!

Add a new message to this topic