New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login364720 members (1 yesterday), private messages

cottaging.co.uk > Forums > Politics > National Address

See newest message in thread

National Address

*essa_M By  *essa_M    profile verified by photo premium paying member (TV/TS/CD) 8 weeks ago

@private mail, +add as contact

I have stayed off the forums the last few days. A certain few just seem to jump on anything said against the “great Leader”

So, I thought I would watch tonight’s address to the nation with an open mind and no preconceptions. I wasn’t disappointed.

We are now in a situation that the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom has effectively become the First Minister of England. There seemed little tonight that matched the informal briefings that were being reported this week. There is long term hope that as deaths and cases decline, then the lockdown will be eased. There was no refuting of the reports this week of lockdown payments being capped at 60% of wages instead of 80%.

We are now in a situation whereby our country is as divided politicly now as it could be. The Nations that make up our country have until now spoken with one voice and marched in step.

People have been asked to return to work but conditions, transport and the like are not in place. Businesses haven’t been prepared for the return last week my companies received one email from HMG suggesting ways of returning staff safely to employment. They would have been better not sending out the emails

My confidence has not been restored by tonight’s broadcast

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

XXX pic...
login to view
By *pence  (M) 8 weeks ago

garden centres are opening though. thats something to be happy about surely. its not all gloom.

*essa_M By  *essa_M    profile verified by photo premium paying member (TV/TS/CD) 8 weeks ago

"garden centres are opening though. thats something to be happy about surely. its not all gloom."

By the looks of Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire the last few days everything is back to normal. Just some shops not open. Too many mixed messages

By *ohnE  (M) 8 weeks ago

I don't think many were surprised by the address. It's obviously too soon to stop self isolating or to open venues where people are likely to be in close proximity to each other.

He did lay out the likely timing of the reopening of businesses but for some it will be some time yet.

The governments laws and guidelines have been clear and consistent and this is continuing.

The most important thing for me was that Johnson is putting lives before economics.

*astkenter By *astkenter  (M) 8 weeks ago

"I don't think many were surprised by the address. It's obviously too soon to stop self isolating or to open venues where people are likely to be in close proximity to each other.

He did lay out the likely timing of the reopening of businesses but for some it will be some time yet.

The governments laws and guidelines have been clear and consistent and this is continuing.

The most important thing for me was that Johnson is putting lives before economics. "

I'm glad you find the messages clear and consistent. What do you make of staying at home as much as possible, keeping to the 2-metre rule where possible and so on? Such statements have no clarity whatsoever. I am baffled as to why he made such a vague speech at this time, promising details in the days to come. Apart from him loving the sound of his own voice, why not wait a few more days until he had something more detailed to say? I think the next week will be interesting as people interpret what is possible in their own way, particularly as lock-down has already failed to a large extent in this area.

*ordic-knight By *ordic-knight   premium paying member (M) 8 weeks ago

Talk about a no win situation. A couple of weeks ago Boris was being soundly condemned for not laying out a strategy towards gradually bringing the country out of lockdown. Now he has outlined such a strategy he is being condemned for that.

Ironically, because of this devolution nonsense, what he said tonight basically only applies to England and differs in some aspects to the strategy laid down by the so-called Welsh government and Wee Nicola's junta north of the border. Could even lead to border problems

"Talk about a no win situation. A couple of weeks ago Boris was being soundly condemned for not laying out a strategy towards gradually bringing the country out of lockdown. Now he has outlined such a strategy he is being condemned for that.

Ironically, because of this devolution nonsense, what he said tonight basically only applies to England and differs in some aspects to the strategy laid down by the so-called Welsh government and Wee Nicola's junta north of the border. Could even lead to border problems"

Partial truth as usual. He was condemned for not laying out a CLEAR and TRANSPARENT strategy to keep people on side. He has still not laid out a clear strategy and we have to wait for details. You stated on many occasions that he should not lay out a road map as it would give people false hope, so I guess you are critical of him now for making a start in that direction. Though he has not given people hope, just more confusion.

"I don't think many were surprised by the address. It's obviously too soon to stop self isolating or to open venues where people are likely to be in close proximity to each other.

The most important thing for me was that Johnson is putting lives before economics.

I'm glad you find the messages clear and consistent. What do you make of staying at home as much as possible, keeping to the 2-metre rule where possible and so on? Such statements have no clarity whatsoever. I am baffled as to why he made such a vague speech at this time, promising details in the days to come. Apart from him loving the sound of his own voice, why not wait a few more days until he had something more detailed to say? I think the next week will be interesting as people interpret what is possible in their own way, particularly as lock-down has already failed to a large extent in this area."

No amount of guidelines can teach stupid but I found it clear enough as it always has been.

Stay at home as much as possible. Shopping ok. Exercise ok. But keep a couple of metres away from other members of the public. Why is that vague? Perfectly clear to me. Are you honestly baffled? I think not.

"Talk about a no win situation. A couple of weeks ago Boris was being soundly condemned for not laying out a strategy towards gradually bringing the country out of lockdown. Now he has outlined such a strategy he is being condemned for that.

Ironically, because of this devolution nonsense, what he said tonight basically only applies to England and differs in some aspects to the strategy laid down by the so-called Welsh government and Wee Nicola's junta north of the border. Could even lead to border problems

Partial truth as usual. He was condemned for not laying out a CLEAR and TRANSPARENT strategy to keep people on side. He has still not laid out a clear strategy and we have to wait for details. You stated on many occasions that he should not lay out a road map as it would give people false hope, so I guess you are critical of him now for making a start in that direction. Though he has not given people hope, just more confusion."

More nit-picking and criticising just for the sake of it. As for the truth I doubt you would recognise it if it jumped out in front of you.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *cousedpw   profile verified by photo (M) 8 weeks ago

Partial truth as usual. He was condemned for not laying out a CLEAR and TRANSPARENT strategy to keep people on side. He has still not laid out a clear strategy and we have to wait for details. You stated on many occasions that he should not lay out a road map as it would give people false hope, so I guess you are critical of him now for making a start in that direction. Though he has not given people hope, just more confusion."

As with all statements, the devil is in the detail, but we've had no details!

I'm glad you find the messages clear and consistent. What do you make of staying at home as much as possible, keeping to the 2-metre rule where possible and so on? Such statements have no clarity whatsoever. I am baffled as to why he made such a vague speech at this time, promising details in the days to come. Apart from him loving the sound of his own voice, why not wait a few more days until he had something more detailed to say? I think the next week will be interesting as people interpret what is possible in their own way, particularly as lock-down has already failed to a large extent in this area.

No amount of guidelines can teach stupid but I found it clear enough as it always has been.

Stay at home as much as possible. Shopping ok. Exercise ok. But keep a couple of metres away from other members of the public. Why is that vague? Perfectly clear to me. Are you honestly baffled? I think not. "

Yes, I am. Phrases like 'as much as possible' and 'where possible' negate what comes before them and open to interpretation.

Partial truth as usual. He was condemned for not laying out a CLEAR and TRANSPARENT strategy to keep people on side. He has still not laid out a clear strategy and we have to wait for details. You stated on many occasions that he should not lay out a road map as it would give people false hope, so I guess you are critical of him now for making a start in that direction. Though he has not given people hope, just more confusion.

More nit-picking and criticising just for the sake of it. As for the truth I doubt you would recognise it if it jumped out in front of you."

You need to be a bit more specific than that. What is this truth you see so clearly and all the positives of the government's handling of the situation? Nit-picking is good as it shows an eye for detail rather than just swallowing guff whole because it comes out of the mouth of Bozo. He is known for not attending to detail and you seem to be showing the same dislike of detail.

By *esperate jon  (M) 8 weeks ago

He spoke with his fists banging on the table, to me that shows insecurities. Shop's in my town today we're prepping ready for reopening just in case they were given the green light and even I thought no way. It was false hope but they tried and will be disappointed after the address but least he did thank the generous public for raising the cash

Stay at home as much as possible. Shopping ok. Exercise ok. But keep a couple of metres away from other members of the public. Why is that vague? Perfectly clear to me. Are you honestly baffled? I think not.

Yes, I am. Phrases like 'as much as possible' and 'where possible' negate what comes before them and open to interpretation."

When you Have millions of people with differing needs then some reliance must be given on the public to be reasonably intelligent and capable of making simple judgements. I think some people might pretend not to understand so they can stretch or ignore the guidelines and they are the ones spreading the virus unnecessarily.

The mixed feelings will be people will be out in their droves tomorrow thinking it's OK to wander round the town and cities but what for?? I already know of some who are working through the back door now as need business and can't wait till June for financial assistance, if he had said when their particular trade's can restart it may have given in individual a better insight as to reopen with peace in mind. Many more will go down the route of back door trading as they can't wait for him to say when?? And people will use their services.

*usansilkysubcd By *usansilkysubcd  (TV/TS/CD) 8 weeks ago

Stay at home as much as possible. Shopping ok. Exercise ok. But keep a couple of metres away from other members of the public. Why is that vague? Perfectly clear to me. Are you honestly baffled? I think not. "

You will find on this forum that certain people on here are baffled by the simplest of things. They will argue that black is white. I don’t bother coming here much anymore because it’s like trying to have a conversation with the village idiot’s more stupid brother.

Ironically, because of this devolution nonsense, what he said tonight basically only applies to England and differs in some aspects to the strategy laid down by the so-called Welsh government and Wee Nicola's junta north of the border. Could even lead to border problems"

It’s not often I agree with you particularly about England’s First Minister. However, this “No Win Situation” was created by this government. They have been briefing all week about how important this speech was going to be. The press has been reporting “government sources” saying the lockdown is easing and Boris was telling us how. Parliaments Speaker even rebuked him for not addressing parliament first.

I in particular have been a critic of our Premier. I have never considered him up to the job. Frankly I only think he’s in the position he’s in because of Jeremy Corbyn’s weakness as a leader and a person. Johnston was the guy who ended up in the right place at the right time, and he grabbed the chance with both hands.

Up to now the devolved Governments have marched in step with the UK Government. Johnston has managed to alienate all of them in one hit. That’s pretty good going for anyone in his position. Stop for a moment and think about that, an SNP led Government, a Labour led Government and a DUP led government have all said No your going too fast. Our population could die in greater numbers than it already has. We are no longer towing the line. The arrogance of what has now became the English Government is astounding.

Today we can expect a pronouncement for the Chancellor that the Furlough payment scheme will be reduced to 60% of wages. So, they are going to be offering Hobson’s choice about people going back to work. I’ve already had employees call me up and ask what’s happening and asking about redundancy if the payments are cut. I can’t tell them anything yet because I don’t know, and our Government has offered little in the way of advice.

The crisis in care homes has hardly been addressed yet and now our illustrious leader’s want us to play hokey koaky with employee’s lives. Stay home but go to work, use public transport but don’t, use social distancing but don’t. We needed clear guidelines and rules we have not got that yet.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *udekeith  (M) 8 weeks ago

"Stay home but go to work, use public transport but don’t, use social distancing but don’t. We needed clear guidelines and rules we have not got that yet.

"

Go back to work if it’s safe to do so and you don’t work in one of the sectors that is specifically closed (hospitality, leisure etc), travel by car, bike or walk if you can because public transport capacity is greatly reduced, go outside as much as you like. At all times continue to observe social distancing.

Couldn’t be much clearer really.

You will find on this forum that certain people on here are baffled by the simplest of things. They will argue that black is white. I don’t bother coming here much anymore because it’s like trying to have a conversation with the village idiot’s more stupid brother."

And some dullards pretend to have a clear understanding of the vaguest of recommendations. The fact that some people are not confused by confusing statements is a major danger, but that's like trying to engage reasonably with the village idiot's most stupid brothers, whose knee-jerk reaction is to defend the authorities' every move and statement.

"Stay home but go to work, use public transport but don’t, use social distancing but don’t. We needed clear guidelines and rules we have not got that yet.

Go back to work if it’s safe to do so and you don’t work in one of the sectors that is specifically closed (hospitality, leisure etc), travel by car, bike or walk if you can because public transport capacity is greatly reduced, go outside as much as you like. At all times continue to observe social distancing.

Couldn’t be much clearer really."

I think that is a fair summary of where we stand. I fear that kind of confusion will make some people more fearful and some people more gung-ho, and both groups will have their justification based on the unclear message. And the result is more division at a time when we need to be united. We can only hope that the further details given later this week will clarify things - I believe that most people are still prepared to follow guidelines so long as they are very clear (rather than clear as mud).

After the address last night a few who work in my shop's self employed now claiming universal credit asked me can they go back? I said no as all that was really said was stay alert. They've now said they've a living to earn and will now start behind closed doors and they will get good business trust me!! It's a sad situation to be in but I can't blame them as Boris's address was more how great they've preformed in the crisis for saving the NHS. So the motto should have been "if you can't work from home work through the back door and still claim benifits as we a fucked up government ain't a fucking clue what to do next"

*orum reader By *orum reader  (M) 8 weeks ago

There is certainly some confusion you are now allowed to drive as far as you like but where to you obviously cant drive into Wales or Scotland as youd be breaking their rules

We are encouraged to spend as much time outside as possible and take part in sports but not football because of social distancing rules but at the same time the government are encouraging the premiership to restart ??? So yes some very confusing statements hopefully these will be cleared up in the briefing notes released at 2pm today

I'm at work at the moment and so far over 47 messages on phone which I will ignore til the next speech given today as these people who left messages have taken it the wrong context as should have been explained what can and can't open. The hairdressers a few doors down was in the weekend sorting her shop out and what for as she still got no answer and do feel for her as I bet she wasn't the only person doing this thinking the same.

*8sform8 By *8sform8  (M) 8 weeks ago

So basically this was Boris getting work back into consideration and creating confusion so the government is not to blame for spread of the virus. It simple its economy over health because the people are ignorant as a whole. BY creating confusion they escape taking the blame by saying people did not follow the guidelines.

"So basically this was Boris getting work back into consideration and creating confusion so the government is not to blame for spread of the virus. It simple its economy over health because the people are ignorant as a whole. BY creating confusion they escape taking the blame by saying people did not follow the guidelines. "

Your last sentence is exactly what I was thinking this morning. Create confusion and then blame the people who are confused. They have also been stressing all along that they are following medical and scientific advice. I would like to know what has changed there to advise changing the basic message. I suspect the latest messaging comes from a certain Mr Cummings, who is neither a scientist nor medical expert. I hope I am wrong.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *nello  (M) 8 weeks ago

"garden centres are opening though. thats something to be happy about surely. its not all gloom."

Weren’t they opened all this time? Or it was only in my area?

As for me, I am afraid I haven’t got anything what I wasn’t expected. It was confusing, too many words without any clarity and sense.

I was thinking that we are a parliamentary monarchy but I felt that we have a president ....

Very strange decisions especially without consulting with industries....

Unfortunately I afraid that people now rush out and the

"So basically this was Boris getting work back into consideration and creating confusion so the government is not to blame for spread of the virus. It simple its economy over health because the people are ignorant as a whole. BY creating confusion they escape taking the blame by saying people did not follow the guidelines.

Your last sentence is exactly what I was thinking this morning. Create confusion and then blame the people who are confused. They have also been stressing all along that they are following medical and scientific advice. I would like to know what has changed there to advise changing the basic message. I suspect the latest messaging comes from a certain Mr Cummings, who is neither a scientist nor medical expert. I hope I am wrong."

It will now not be Boris's fault but everyone else's for not following the Government advice to be Alert. The virus spreads kills thousands more and its the public's fault for not be alert.

"So basically this was Boris getting work back into consideration and creating confusion so the government is not to blame for spread of the virus. It simple its economy over health because the people are ignorant as a whole. BY creating confusion they escape taking the blame by saying people did not follow the guidelines.

Your last sentence is exactly what I was thinking this morning. Create confusion and then blame the people who are confused. They have also been stressing all along that they are following medical and scientific advice. I would like to know what has changed there to advise changing the basic message. I suspect the latest messaging comes from a certain Mr Cummings, who is neither a scientist nor medical expert. I hope I am wrong. It will now not be Boris's fault but everyone else's for not following the Government advice to be Alert. The virus spreads kills thousands more and its the public's fault for not being alert. "

What should have been said to stop the confusion is what the worker's and the likes?? What can and can't reopen. That then is concrete. To say garden centres can open will be a breath of fresh air to the people living in high rises that have been holed up for 7 weeks?? Come on love let's go buy a fucking window box!! His message was mixed more than his fucking brain

XXX pic...
login to view

Your last sentence is exactly what I was thinking this morning. Create confusion and then blame the people who are confused. They have also been stressing all along that they are following medical and scientific advice. I would like to know what has changed there to advise changing the basic message. I suspect the latest messaging comes from a certain Mr Cummings, who is neither a scientist nor medical expert. I hope I am wrong. It will now not be Boris's fault but everyone else's for not following the Government advice to be Alert. The virus spreads kills thousands more and its the public's fault for not be alert. "

Alert you or not but asymptomatic cases can spread wider....

you haven’t a test, so your alertness play no role.

But I agree, he shifted blame on public.... let’s clap!

Cheers _nello that last post cheered me I nearly pissed myself. Would love to clap him on both ears and see what's really inside that blonde thatch???

XXX pic...
login to view

"Cheers _nello that last post cheered me I nearly pissed myself. Would love to clap him on both ears and see what's really inside that blonde thatch???"

Have you seen Matt Lucas mocking BJ’s yesterday’s performance? Amazing and clear!

"Cheers _nello that last post cheered me I nearly pissed myself. Would love to clap him on both ears and see what's really inside that blonde thatch???"

I think the result would be a very hollow echo

"Cheers _nello that last post cheered me I nearly pissed myself. Would love to clap him on both ears and see what's really inside that blonde thatch???

Have you seen Matt Lucas mocking BJ’s yesterday’s performance? Amazing and clear! "

I heard Matt Lucas on the radio this morning - brilliant and about as clear as Bozo himself

XXX pic...
login to view

"Cheers _nello that last post cheered me I nearly pissed myself. Would love to clap him on both ears and see what's really inside that blonde thatch???

Have you seen Matt Lucas mocking BJ’s yesterday’s performance? Amazing and clear!

I heard Matt Lucas on the radio this morning - brilliant and about as clear as Bozo himself "

I like him. On his video he is just perfect!!!!!

XXX pic...
login to view
By *reatedbear   profile verified by photo (M) 8 weeks ago

I saw the Matt Lucas thing. Absolutely brilliant and spot on. Last night's speech was confusing and full of holes. It left many people not knowing what they are alliwed to do and more importantly, what they CAN'T do.

XXX pic...
login to view

"I saw the Matt Lucas thing. Absolutely brilliant and spot on. Last night's speech was confusing and full of holes. It left many people not knowing what they are alliwed to do and more importantly, what they CAN'T do."

Because it wasn’t about giving clarity. Performance as a fact only, no more no less. Prerecorded. (Maybe because he is working part time). In any way, people and business community do not take him serious.

Lucas did a great job! Short, clear, to the point!

I look forward to watching that on catch up, the feeling around the town today is it was all a bad dream?? Loads out. Teenager screaming macdonalds is still shut. This next message today needs clarity and less confusion to the British people on what can open as I've turned 8 people away as thought it was business as usual

Just how clear the message was is borne out by the pics of the M25, tubes and buses this morning. Bozo told people to go back to work today, but Raab has already said that should be Wednesday. I fail to see why it will be safer to return to work on Wednesday than it is today or was last Friday. The government advocates can no doubt explain that logic to the rest of us.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *oondog   profile verified by photo (M) 8 weeks ago

Most of the British public aren't imbeciles. Given the context of the last couple of months the situation seems clear (although I don't unconditionally support the government).

We can only hope the imbeciles who think spreading the virus is worth whatever freedom they gain end up only killing themselves!

XXX pic...
login to view

"Most of the British public aren't imbeciles. Given the context of the last couple of months the situation seems clear (although I don't unconditionally support the government).

We can only hope the imbeciles who think spreading the virus is worth whatever freedom they gain end up only killing themselves!"

No, I don’t think they are imbeciles. But they were told, they do. And more - they have lives, families etc, unfortunately they don’t want just to die and especially from hunger. They need to pay for food, flats, bills, etc. So, they gave choice - to try to survive or to not follow BJ’s advice.

So, they do it because they are not egoists and trying to survive. BJ stimulated yesterday.

"Most of the British public aren't imbeciles. Given the context of the last couple of months the situation seems clear (although I don't unconditionally support the government).

We can only hope the imbeciles who think spreading the virus is worth whatever freedom they gain end up only killing themselves!"

The latest YouGov poll shows that 91% found the previous message clear but only 30% find the new message clear. That puts you in a fortunate minority. Maybe you think the other 70% are imbeciles, but I very much doubt that is likely.

I wish I had your optimism, I have little faith in the intelligence of the British people they are like sheep easily conned into herd immunity. Like Donkeys follow carrots on a stick. God help us.

By *ikey1973   profile verified by photo (M) 8 weeks ago

I agree. Most of the British public are sensible and cautious and are applying the guidelines. My work has brought me into contact with hundreds during this pandemic.

Sadly it only takes an ignorant few to undo the good work of the many.

XXX pic...
login to view

"

I wish I had your optimism, I have little faith in the intelligence of the British people they are like sheep easily conned into herd immunity. Like Donkeys follow carrots on a stick. God help us."

Where there is life there is hope my friend! Where there is life and hope then we just require the spark of optimism

God doesn't intervene nowadays on earth (look what happened to his son last time) but he will be waiting to welcome some of us not too long from now!

We can only hope the imbeciles who think spreading the virus is worth whatever freedom they gain end up only killing themselves!

I agree. Most of the British public are sensible and cautious and are applying the guidelines. My work has brought me into contact with hundreds during this pandemic.

Sadly it only takes an ignorant few to undo the good work of the many. "

That was true under the previous guidelines. We cannot, however, blame people who are out and about again today under the new guidelines. If the guidelines are not crystal clear we should blame the people who made them.

Of course there is no God as such, just a figure of speech. If there is then I'm happy to be with the sodamites in hell, as I can't stand sanctimonious religious types who think they are saved.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ayMan007   profile verified by photo (M) 8 weeks ago

"Of course there is no God as such, just a figure of speech. If there is then I'm happy to be with the sodamites in hell, as I can't stand sanctimonious religious types who think they are saved.

"

All Christians who follow Jesus ARE saved! You cannot claim that our lord the creator of all things is a figure of speech. What you say makes NO sense!

I used it as one, not as literally interpreted earlier in this thread. As for pie in the sky beliefs you can keep them. I do not believe in your views. There is no God in my opinion from whom some certainty is derived by ancient misinterpreted of some texts and writings.

"I used it as one, not as literally interpreted earlier in this thread. As for pie in the sky beliefs you can keep them. I do not believe in your views. There is no God in my opinion from whom some certainty is derived by ancient misinterpretation of some texts and writings. "

Corrected.

XXX pic...
login to view

Everyone has the freedom to believe what they want that's one of the good things about this country and Christian religions as a whole, there is free will.

You don't know you are actually saved until you stand in front of St Peter. We can only try to do the right thing and follow the rules.

It does amuse me when atheists and non-believers (neither used as an insult lol) invoke God in their comments. The words we use often define us.

I'm quite happy for people to not believe as it is the same article of faith as belief. They believe without evidence that there is no God, believers believe without evidence that there is. The perfect definition of faith.

XXX pic...
login to view

"I used it as one, not as literally interpreted earlier in this thread. As for pie in the sky beliefs you can keep them. I do not believe in your views. There is no God in my opinion from whom some certainty is derived by ancient misinterpreted of some texts and writings. "

I think with respect that your view of the modern Christian faith is somewhat outdated. You wouldn't claim to be an expert in quantum mechanics if you hadn't studied it but somehow people think they are experts and can absolutely determine the value and relevance of faith using knowledge they got in the playground or primary school.

Modern Christian faith derives itself from the fact we exist now and the challenges we face in relating to each other as we go through life. Sacred texts are used but in most faiths (especially Catholic) they are reviewed and updated depending on whether they add value rather than they are popular.

Christianity has come a long way from burning non-believers alive and now not only is it tolerated but seen as an essential part of free will. You can't have believers without non-believers lol.

"I used it as one, not as literally interpreted earlier in this thread. As for pie in the sky beliefs you can keep them. I do not believe in your views. There is no God in my opinion from whom some certainty is derived by ancient misinterpreted of some texts and writings.

I think with respect that your view of the modern Christian faith is somewhat outdated. You wouldn't claim to be an expert in quantum mechanics if you hadn't studied it but somehow people think they are experts and can absolutely determine the value and relevance of faith using knowledge they got in the playground or primary school.

Modern Christian faith derives itself from the fact we exist now and the challenges we face in relating to each other as we go through life. Sacred texts are used but in most faiths (especially Catholic) they are reviewed and updated depending on whether they add value rather than they are popular.

Christianity has come a long way from burning non-believers alive and now not only is it tolerated but seen as an essential part of free will. You can't have believers without non-believers lol."

Actually no, you assume too much. I am possibly far more knowledgeable than you. But this forum is discussing politics not pie in the sky. Suffice to say I have three degrees in Theological areas from biblical studies to MA theological application writings actually. Don't try preaching your doctrinal misinterpretations to me thanks.

C'est le fameux pari de Pascal.

"C'est le fameux pari de Pascal."

"Everyone has the freedom to believe what they want that's one of the good things about this country and Christian religions as a whole, there is free will.

You don't know you are actually saved until you stand in front of St Peter. We can only try to do the right thing and follow the rules.

It does amuse me when atheists and non-believers (neither used as an insult lol) invoke God in their comments. The words we use often define us.

I'm quite happy for people to not believe as it is the same article of faith as belief. They believe without evidence that there is no God, believers believe without evidence that there is. The perfect definition of faith."

As you say. Nothing proven either way hence the reason it is named faith.

A reductio ad absurdum challenge next? However lets leave that arena for trying to find faith in our so called Government. Although just as impossible as needles on pin points.

Insert "Angels" for needles, typing Error

"Insert "Angels" for needles, typing Error"

Don't worry .. nobody reads that closely to notice lol.

XXX pic...
login to view

"

Actually no, you assume too much. I am possibly far more knowledgeable than you. But this forum is discussing politics not pie in the sky. Suffice to say I have three degrees in Theological areas from biblical studies to MA theological application writings actually. Don't try preaching your doctrinal misinterpretations to me thanks. "

I would not presume to preach to you or anyone else. I assume nothing except that you express a lack of faith and you are not part of the modern church. You may well be infinitely more knowledgeable than me and I hope you are.

By *eeksYounger  (M) 8 weeks ago

Theology: the study of absolutely nothing1

God help us?? There ain't a God if so this wouldn't have happened!! The only faith or hope we have is they get a move on so we don't suffer more financial loss. Don't forget those who are telling you how to live your life at the moment are very well looked after and very privileged in financial help. Don't bring God into this as someone said it's a political forum not a biblical one.

XXX pic...
login to view

It was our admired poster M8 who invoked God.

Once you've opened the door you can't be surprised if people use it lol

XXX pic...
login to view
By *atureNudist51   profile verified by photo (M) 8 weeks ago

The only devine intervention will be if we are able to get a scientific breakthrough against the Virus that helps reduce the death rate around the World, so the answer lies with them !

*etropolis By *etropolis   profile verified by photo (M) 8 weeks ago

"Actually no, you assume too much. I am possibly far more knowledgeable than you. But this forum is discussing politics not pie in the sky. Suffice to say I have three degrees in Theological areas from biblical studies to MA theological application writings actually. Don't try preaching your doctrinal misinterpretations to me thanks. "

How crass and downright rude to say you are more knowledgeable than any one else. It just proves how uneducated you are.

Just because you have numerous degrees in theology doesn't prove the existance of a god or anything. All it means is that you've been duped by reading poorly written novels. If a god exists, bring him to me.

You ought to read the back posts of the conversation.

Religion is an even bigger taboo subject than politics and not very relevant here.

So what is this god doing about this pandemic?

XXX pic...
login to view

"So what is this god doing about this pandemic?"

Nothing. Why on earth would he?

"So what is this god doing about this pandemic?

Nothing. Why on earth would he?"

Because he created us and loves us. Why on heaven shouldn't he?

XXX pic...
login to view

"So what is this god doing about this pandemic?

Nothing. Why on earth would he?

Because he created us and loves us. Why on heaven shouldn't he?

"

This is not God's domain and the rewards of accepting him are not earthly rewards as any believer would know.

Depending on your religion, the last act of divine intervention was the sending of Jesus to earth.

All other interventions are human.

Before anyone kicks off if you don't want religous comments don't post stuff lol

Jesus did not exist. There is no evidence, not one jot. Delusionism is as pityful as those who prattle meaningless utterances.

Wonder what happened to discussing the national address?

"Wonder what happened to discussing the national address?"

People needing a crutch. Yawns, wish i had not used a word figuratively without thinking.

How do you make holy water?

Boil the hell out of it.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *cousedpw   profile verified by photo (M) 8 weeks ago

This thread has become ridiculous.

There is an agreement, supposedly, that chat/forum sites close a thread you mention Hitler!

Here's hoping.

"Wonder what happened to discussing the national address?"

I think some are looking for divine intervention.

I pass no comment save to say, keep your superstitions to yourself.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *atinesque  (M) 8 weeks ago

Talking about any general sex element that, in any way, involves sexual contact with those under 18, is strictly forbidden, for maybe more than one reason, but the law could be one of them.

Maybe, religion is something else that should be strictly forbidden!

Make no mistake, I'm a believer, but there are places and times for religious comments and they still keep popping up in all the wrong places and times. Religion has side-swiped the subject, already. Between religion, politics and sport, more bad feeling/s, fights and wars are caused than from/over almost any other subject.

Unless a conversation involves a top header regarding religion, religion has no place in the conversation, save the occasional passing reference, with no arrogance or judgmentality, and it probably won't call for that, either.

Maybe, even...such severe swerves, off-topic, is ONE of the reasons for the lower attendance, here, of late!

Yes. Please keep religion out of political forums. If he was real them 6 numbers would have came up year's ago??. Now the government has outlined people's lives on how they can go back let's hope that they listen? Please do use public transport as don't forget these companies are struggling and if not used they could remove services. I hope my sector of business can restart earlier as I've lost 4 people now as can't wait for government say so and now back door trading and sadly still claiming unemployment benefits. I hope Boris has learned from this as he didn't take it seriously at first and should have started at the first report on this virus, I still think he's the biggest twat to run this country and should go. As someone private messaged me I love ginger and he has ginger pubes? Yuk, God help me ha ha

"

Talking about any general sex element that, in any way, involves sexual contact with those under 18, is strictly forbidden, for maybe more than one reason, but the law could be one of them.

Make no mistake, I'm a believer, but there are places and times for religious comments and they still keep popping up in all the wrong places and times. Religion has side-swiped the subject, already. Between religion, politics and sport, more bad feeling/s, fights and wars are caused than from/over almost any other subject.

Unless a conversation involves a top header regarding religion, religion has no place in the conversation, save the occasional passing reference, with no arrogance or judgmentality, and it probably won't call for that, either.

Maybe, even...such severe swerves, off-topic, is ONE of the reasons for the lower attendance, here, of late!"

"This thread has become ridiculous.

There is an agreement, supposedly, that chat/forum sites close a thread you mention Hitler!

Here's hoping. "

"

Maybe, even...such severe swerves, off-topic, is ONE of the reasons for the lower attendance, here, of late!"

Well said. Agree with you 100%

I started this thread in good faith but it has gone completely off-topic and become rather ridiculous.

I was wrong there. I should have said:

This thread started on a particular topic but has gone completely off-topic and become rather ridiculous.

Bound to happen with a thread of this length. Possibly a good thing as most threads longer than about 10 posts have already deteriorated to ridiculous.

XXX pic...
login to view

"I started this thread in good faith but it has gone completely off-topic and become rather ridiculous."

Started in good faith and ended with good faith

Instead of whingeing just start a new thread with whatever you want to say.

Most threads go awry this one has hardly been on topic throughout.

You can always ignore what you don't like.

In that case, those who wished to discuss religion and the existence of otherwise of a god should have started their own thread for that discussion.

Started in good faith and ended with good faith ... lol

"I started this thread in good faith but it has gone completely off-topic and become rather ridiculous."

Ehmm I think I started it

"I was wrong there. I should have said:

This thread started on a particular topic but has gone completely off-topic and become rather ridiculous."

"I started this thread in good faith but it has gone completely off-topic and become rather ridiculous.

Ehmm I think I started it "

You did indeed and I corrected my error in my next post.

XXX pic...
login to view

"In that case, those who wished to discuss religion and the existence of otherwise of a god should have started their own thread for that discussion."

Maybe those that don't want to invoke the subject shouldn't mention it in a thread.

This one needed a distraction it's the same old petty bickering and partisan arguments served up in thread after thread.

The same characters peddling the same lines. The same blanket demonisation of the Government, Boris or Jeremy or whoever! The same pervasive evil of "never mind the deaths what about my wealth?"

It's all sport though innit!

Apologies to those who do occasionally bring balance or knowledge or even good old fashioned courtesy!

I could have just ignored it but where's the fun in that

Keep safe!

"In that case, those who wished to discuss religion and the existence of otherwise of a god should have started their own thread for that discussion.

Maybe those that don't want to invoke the subject shouldn't mention it in a thread.

This one needed a distraction it's the same old petty bickering and partisan arguments served up in thread after thread.

The same characters peddling the same lines. The same blanket demonisation of the Government, Boris or Jeremy or whoever! The same pervasive evil of "never mind the deaths what about my wealth?"

Apologies to those who do occasionally bring balance or knowledge or even good old fashioned courtesy!

Keep safe!

"

Can't argue with that

XXX pic...
login to view

"In that case, those who wished to discuss religion and the existence of otherwise of a god should have started their own thread for that discussion.

Keep safe!

"

So, try to explain me:

- do you really looking for fun in religion?

- do you really looking for fun in BJ, JC and govt and it’s approach?

It means yes and this is the reason you wrote your last phrase???? It means, you couldn’t ignore ‘it’ if there was fun? Or you couldn’t ignite it if there wasn’t a fun?

Don’t want believe in this!

But I’m sure you will have some huge supporters on here and they all will give you a big thumb.

"This one needed a distraction it's the same old petty bickering and partisan arguments served up in thread after thread."

Most definitely.

""This one needed a distraction it's the same old petty bickering and partisan arguments served up in thread after thread."

Most definitely. "

The same thing applies here as elsewhere - if you don't like a thread, ignore it. Those who want fun and distraction can easily start their own threads for that. All seems a bit like sour grapes to me from those who support Bozo and Co. Instead of looking for fun on this thread, why not put their views of how well Bozo is doing and their reasons for believing that? Maybe because that would be difficult and it is easier to just criticise other contributions for not providing fun and distraction.

I disagree. If everyone ignored the threads which were boring, antagonistic, looking for fun or distraction were all to start separate threads .. we would have dozens of threads but nobody adding to them.

Surely that would be a worse scenario?

PS. I don't like Boris Johnson (&co) but I don't see why that has anything to do with whether or not I would approve of the petty bickering which seems to come from all political quarters.

"I disagree. If everyone ignored the threads which were boring, antagonistic, looking for fun or distraction were all to start separate threads .. we would have dozens of threads but nobody adding to them.

Surely that would be a worse scenario?

PS. I don't like Boris Johnson (&co) but I don't see why that has anything to do with whether or not I would approve of the petty bickering which seems to come from all political quarters. "

Much of the 'petty bickering' on this occasion was about religion and god, not politics at all. If there is a real appetite for apolitical fun and distraction on a forum headed Politics, such threads would attract a lot of attention from the people wanting fun and distraction.

Our new Chancellor still has my respect. Which is not bad considering the company he keeps! The extension of the furlough scheme can only be good in the long term for the country. The movement later in the year to being able to use it part time so that employees can return gradually (depending on work and home requirements) can only be good. I have stated elsewhere on these forums that the one thing that was causing anxiety for me was everyone back the same day and nothing on the order books. That was a recipe for disaster.

Getting employers to share the cost later in the year worries me a bit, however, with the part time return that is planned money can come back to the companies and it may not be such a burden.

Credit where it’s due Rishi Sunak may well turn out to be one of the best Chancellors in a long time. He seems to have a grasp of how the economy works and is interdependent on lots of areas working together.

"Our new Chancellor still has my respect. Which is not bad considering the company he keeps! The extension of the furlough scheme can only be good in the long term for the country. The movement later in the year to being able to use it part time so that employees can return gradually (depending on work and home requirements) can only be good. I have stated elsewhere on these forums that the one thing that was causing anxiety for me was everyone back the same day and nothing on the order books. That was a recipe for disaster.

Getting employers to share the cost later in the year worries me a bit, however, with the part time return that is planned money can come back to the companies and it may not be such a burden.

Credit where it’s due Rishi Sunak may well turn out to be one of the best Chancellors in a long time. He seems to have a grasp of how the economy works and is interdependent on lots of areas working together.

"

I agree. Despite his youth, Sunak could teach the others a thing or two. They missed a trick not getting him to front the daily briefing as often as possible as he comes across very well - wise, calm, informative and empathetic. Unlike any of the others, he comes across as sincere when he says that he understands people's suffering. I have never seen him revert to bluster.

XXX pic...
login to view

"Our new Chancellor still has my respect. Which is not bad considering the company he keeps! The extension of the furlough scheme can only be good in the long term for the country. The movement later in the year to being able to use it part time so that employees can return gradually (depending on work and home requirements) can only be good. I have stated elsewhere on these forums that the one thing that was causing anxiety for me was everyone back the same day and nothing on the order books. That was a recipe for disaster.

"

I agree with what you say. The most startling thing I think is that it's a Tory government that has done this! Instead of staying within political dogma of the right he seems to have thought about what needed to be done and applied it nonetheless.

The financial packages are not perfect but they are a good effort and he appears willing to tweak them as he goes along.

When he announced them I was astonished.

I have to accept that not everything the Tory government does is motivated by greed, or just wrong!

"

I agree with what you say. The most startling thing I think is that it's a Tory government that has done this! Instead of staying within political dogma of the right he seems to have thought about what needed to be done and applied it nonetheless.

The financial packages are not perfect but they are a good effort and he appears willing to tweak them as he goes along.

When he announced them I was astonished.

I have to accept that not everything the Tory government does is motivated by greed, or just wrong!"

I think when he first announced the furlough scheme, I was taken aback. I did not expect such a manoeuvre from a Conservative Chancellor. I think I have on occasions called it a more socialist way of looking at things than Jeremy Corbyn and John Mc Donald could have dreamed of. Not only that but he was a new Chancellor and an emergency replacement for the last one.

If I am honest I thought he would toe-the-line and get himself settled into one of the Great Offices of State. Pretty much letting people hang. He may be building up debt fast, but he gives the impression he has it under control. That’s a calming effect. The pound has stabilised recently under the previous Chancellor it was hovering around parity with the Euro now it is reasonably stable around the 1.12.-1.15 mark we can work with that.

Gold seems to have become the investment of choice at the moment over the last 6 months or so it has gone up around 16% and is hovering a little over $1700 an ounce. Maybe he has a secret stash that he’s not telling us about.

He has surprised me but in a good way.

I've just seen the Chancellor's interview and if he's sincere on people losing job's and homes I take my hat off to him for speaking about those people suffering, the leader don't give a shit about the likes of us and have to except that. He got to number 10 and made his daddy proud. If I was his dad I would be ashamed of his carry on.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *emused   profile verified by photo (M) 8 weeks ago

"I've just seen the Chancellor's interview and if he's sincere on people losing job's and homes I take my hat off to him for speaking about those people suffering, the leader don't give a shit about the likes of us and have to except that. He got to number 10 and made his daddy proud. If I was his dad I would be ashamed of his carry on."

So how do you equate the Chancellor's speech with government policy?

Do you really believe that Rishi would do anything that expensive without absolute agreement from Boris?

Perhaps it is testament to Boris that he lets Rishi take the credit?

Do not let your personal dislike of Boris cloud your judgement on his actions - perfect he ain't but he is doing his best in uncharted circumstances.

Boris should be giving the United Kingdom a briefing every bloody day not his crew. I don't give a shit he had covid for 3 days and cured or his Mrs had another one of his kids, it's his role to address the country daily? He wanted the job so bloody get on with it.

Quite frankly I don't know why we need these daily briefings. They are boring, long-winded and really same old, same old day after day. A couple of briefings a week would suffice or perhaps a brief statement just prior to the evening news

Nordic I agree with that statement it boring, no need for waffle on nothing new. I'm fed up with watching four in a bed and come dine with me, repeats like the breifings

*oredEric By *oredEric   profile verified by photo (M) 8 weeks ago

The reality is that almost all of what we’ve seen are weasel words. They only ordered lockdown before the public took matters into their own hands. They declined every offer of international cooperation. They've done nothing for the ordinary person, but fall over themselves to help the rich, no stimulus for us, but how long until tax exile Branson gets £600m of taxpayers money to prop up his business, despite his previous position opposing a bailout of British Airways. Even the fascist states of America managed a stimulus cheque for their citizens, here...get on with dying, suffering, and increasing your debt levels. But don’t worry, the banks will just roll up your debt for you, you can pay it back later, if you still can’t, they’ll soon be back to persecuting you for every penny plus the interest.

I know I’ve being accused of being a Tory in the past, actually I’m not, I tend towards the Greens and the Liberals, but what I’ve seen is turning me into a sodding Trotskyite.

We cannot go back to the old ways, we've seen that the people the country relies on are the low paid, the volunteers, the charities. The ordinary person is not getting a fair deal. Why do you, as a single individual, pay more tax through PAYE than Amazon and a cluster of other giant companies do in fair and equitable taxation? How is that reasonable? We know there's no trickle down.

We need a fully funded NHS, we need fully funded schools, what's good enough for Eton should be the norm for all children. Going to university should be a right, funded to a reasonable level, not a lifelong financial burden. Salaries should be raised to decent levels. Zero hours contracts made so unattractive for employers that they die a death. We need a renegotiation of the Social Contract on our terms, not the terms of a handful of billionaires, few of whom pay taxes here.

We need fundamental change.

"Quite frankly I don't know why we need these daily briefings. They are boring, long-winded and really same old, same old day after day. A couple of briefings a week would suffice or perhaps a brief statement just prior to the evening news"

As a true blue I can understand why you would prefer the public to have as little info as possible from official sources and then blame them for getting it from unreliable, biased sources. Bozo might well agree with you - we have plenty of evidence from his past to show how he detests scrutiny.

Borderic thank-you for that post. Liked it very much..

"The reality is that almost all of what we’ve seen are weasel words. They only ordered lockdown before the public took matters into their own hands. They declined every offer of international cooperation. They've done nothing for the ordinary person, but fall over themselves to help the rich, no stimulus for us, but how long until tax exile Branson gets £600m of taxpayers money to prop up his business, despite his previous position opposing a bailout of British Airways. Even the fascist states of America managed a stimulus cheque for their citizens, here...get on with dying, suffering, and increasing your debt levels. But don’t worry, the banks will just roll up your debt for you, you can pay it back later, if you still can’t, they’ll soon be back to persecuting you for every penny plus the interest.

I know I’ve being accused of being a Tory in the past, actually I’m not, I tend towards the Greens and the Liberals, but what I’ve seen is turning me into a sodding Trotskyite.

We cannot go back to the old ways, we've seen that the people the country relies on are the low paid, the volunteers, the charities. The ordinary person is not getting a fair deal. Why do you, as a single individual, pay more tax through PAYE than Amazon and a cluster of other giant companies do in fair and equitable taxation? How is that reasonable? We know there's no trickle down.

We need a fully funded NHS, we need fully funded schools, what's good enough for Eton should be the norm for all children. Going to university should be a right, funded to a reasonable level, not a lifelong financial burden. Salaries should be raised to decent levels. Zero hours contracts made so unattractive for employers that they die a death. We need a renegotiation of the Social Contract on our terms, not the terms of a handful of billionaires, few of whom pay taxes here.

We need fundamental change. "

I agree that we now have the perfect opportunity to start on the road to fundamental change. The people who are getting us through this crisis need to receive more recognition once it is over, both in terms of social standing and working conditions. Will that happen? I doubt it and think they will soon be taken for granted again. The elite will always protect the elite as that is their entire raison d'etre.

"I've just seen the Chancellor's interview and if he's sincere on people losing job's and homes I take my hat off to him for speaking about those people suffering, the leader don't give a shit about the likes of us and have to except that. He got to number 10 and made his daddy proud. If I was his dad I would be ashamed of his carry on.

So how do you equate the Chancellor's speech with government policy?

Do you really believe that Rishi would do anything that expensive without absolute agreement from Boris?

Perhaps it is testament to Boris that he lets Rishi take the credit?

Do not let your personal dislike of Boris cloud your judgement on his actions - perfect he ain't but he is doing his best in uncharted circumstances."

No, I think if he lost another Chancellor in such a short time. His government and party would probably implode. They have enough problems on their plate now, let alone the end of the year which is fast approaching.

I hope we don't lose this chancellor any time soon. The best in long time. Possibly the just the best.

"Boris should be giving the United Kingdom a briefing every bloody day not his crew. I don't give a shit he had covid for 3 days and cured or his Mrs had another one of his kids, it's his role to address the country daily? He wanted the job so bloody get on with it."

I don't think many of us would want to see Boris every day lol. In any case he is the party leader but not the party expert on matters of science or medicine. Much better to hear from those who have studied and become experts in their field.

XXX pic...
login to view

"I was wrong there. I should have said:

This thread started on a particular topic but has gone completely off-topic and become rather ridiculous."

My sincerest suggestion is that you start another one and ask for what you want NOT to happen somewhere in the text of that opener! Ask for people to remain on topic, even if we should never have to ask such a thing.

I did start another one and it soon went off-topic. I tried to bring it back on topic but that didn't work.

XXX pic...
login to view

The Politics section is becoming too troublesome to be of any use. It was probably suggested, or asked for, for a long time before it was given, but now it's just a source of eventual frustration and disappointment.

Religion and politics, every time...the toxic brace of human relations.

Besides, had there been given to us a section on "Religion", who would post in it?...and, what would the content of the posts even be?

The politics section was pleaded for to get the political idiots out of the Lounge so that decent and normal conversations could take place.

A move which has completely proved the point that a separate forum was an absolute necessity. At least it's a forum which can be ignored.

It's a shame that politics have never been discussed in this forum but that's life. At least those with blinkered views and a good repertoire of insults and sarcasm have found a venue to stretch their legs lol.

XXX pic...
login to view

"The politics section was pleaded for to get the political idiots out of the Lounge so that decent and normal conversations could take place.

A move which has completely proved the point that a separate forum was an absolute necessity. At least it's a forum which can be ignored.

It's a shame that politics have never been discussed in this forum but that's life. At least those with blinkered views and a good repertoire of insults and sarcasm have found a venue to stretch their legs lol.

"

Sadly you're right. There was the promise of real politics being discussed and initially there were some discussions about proportional representation, age to vote, geographical and national representation, MPs as delegates or representatives and the like. Inevitably there would be party stances taken but there's value in that when debating policies and politicians.

It became a punch and judy show though (there are other views) and there are only so many times you can see the dog steal the sausages and the policeman beat the swagman.

I trace it back to quite a good debate where we discussed the different perspectives of Mrs Thatcher and milk, and who closed the most pits. The facts do not bear out the press led history! The name calling started in earnest then I think (I'm not accusing Earnest, he's innocent until proven guilty!).

One of the wonderful things about this site is that if you stick within the rules you can post with gay abandon if the same incessant drivel makes you want to beat your skull against the door jamb and people will either insult you, ignore you or applaud you taking a topic off-piste.

I think some of the comments on here are deliciously pot calling the kettle black and maybe those who are without sin should cast the first stone (oops religion take cover boys).

Religion is like politics because people think they can comment authentically even when they don't know anything about the subject. We've had the odd good discussion overtly about religous issues but the real beauty of raising religion in a thread is you get people who do know what they are talking about getting in touch and then the debate can happen without fur flying!

Anyway to get back to politics, I propose a vote for Satinesque to be appointed Comissar of the Thread Police

Someone referred to opinion polls recently. The latest YouGov survey puts Starmer's net approval rating (+23) higher than Bozo's (+22). I wonder if that is significant in any way. Are people starting to see through bluster?

XXX pic...
login to view

" ...I propose a vote for Satinesque to be appointed Comissar of the Thread Police

"

If I were offered the job of Moderator, on here, I'd happily accept. Every insult gets that post deleted...a thorough disinfecting and fewer seeds of anger dropped from somebody's willy nilly!

Insulted statements, but no insulted people. Imagine the luxury of streamlined on-topic threads. Oh, the joy!!!

A vote for me means a vote for, erm, well...me, I suppose!

Add a new message to this topic