New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login364749 members (4 yesterday), private messages

cottaging.co.uk > Forums > Politics > Running scared

See newest message in thread

Running scared

*essa_M By  *essa_M    profile verified by photo premium paying member (TV/TS/CD) 2 weeks ago

@private mail, +add as contact

Yesterday at PMQ’s Bozo was firm that he would not be changing his mind about overseas recruits to the NHS being charged the Health Immigration Surcharge. Today he changes his mind. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52761052

Is this strong leadership or is some one being a wibbly wobbly jelly?

Surely this has to be the fastest Tory U turn since Theresa May ditched the Dementia tax from the Tory manifesto the day after publishing it.

They may have a majority of 80, they may be in Government, but they aren’t in control

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ikey1973   profile verified by photo (M) 2 weeks ago

I've always been impressed with any political leader who can evolve with situations or make the correct decisions without been too scared of accusations of mind changing. We have had leaders who will stick with an i,d decision and refuse to bend to public opinion or changing ing situations.

In the present pandemic circumstances I think the government is right to make fast decisions and get things mov8ng but that will only work if the initial rules remain flexible.

By *esperate jon  (M) 2 weeks ago

Agree on that, every time I see the bloke now I just want to punch him. They all took the piss out or diane Abbot but look at him? What a fine mess he's making of his first and last term as British primeminister. If the puppetier wasn't pulling the strings he'd collapse...

Diane Abbot was an easy target. Some people are but it doesn't necessarily reflect who they are.

I've known politicians who are attractive, detestable, interesting and boring but that just reflects all sorts of people.

I liked Johnson a lot as London mayor and he did a much better job than the present one. He also made a good job of leading Brexit although I didn't want Brexit and still can't see any advantages but that was the vote of the country.

I've not decided on how he is coping with the pandemic. I've seen a lot of things which I think could have been done better but if I can't think of anyone in the political spectrum who would have been an obvious better choice.

Time will tell the general judgement of the country on Johnson's leadership.

*essa_M By  *essa_M    profile verified by photo premium paying member (TV/TS/CD) 2 weeks ago

It would seem that the “Liaison Committee” sincerely want the Prime Minister to appear before it. He has cancelled 3 times since becoming Prime Minister. The Liaison Committee is the only Committee of MP’s the PM has to report too. Our illustrious PM also had one of his best buddies Sir Bernard Jenkins appointed Chairman of the Committee, much to the distaste of MP’s from both sides of the house.

One wonders what he is so scared of?

I guess he will have few friends in Northern Ireland now that he is introducing border controls between NI and Great Britain. I am pretty sure Bozo himself told us there would be no border controls within the United Kingdom and that any customs paperwork could be thrown in the bin.

More Tory promises thrown by the wayside?

The controversial details of Brexit which have been relayed to us by Mr Johnson have chopped and changed as, like it or not, we are not entirely in charge of our own destiny. We still have to abide by the rules of other countries and international law.

Nothing will ever change that so once the new and unknown virus has disappeared we will be back to the new and unknown Brexit.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *oondog   profile verified by photo (M) 2 weeks ago

He was right to do a u-turn and we've ended up with the right decision but it was wrong to defend a bad policy initially in the house, whoever thought that was the right policy decision at this time wants sacking.

The Tory government seems to have reverted to type but I think the electorate wants the new normal to be something different, something better.

I'm not sure the Tories are capable of that change but Kier Starmer is starting to look interesting.

*etropolis By *etropolis   profile verified by photo (M) 2 weeks ago

Keir Starmer made a right fool of himself at PMQ's this week.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *nello  (M) 2 weeks ago

"Yesterday at PMQ’s Bozo was firm that he would not be changing his mind about overseas recruits to the NHS being charged the Health Immigration Surcharge. Today he changes his mind. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52761052

Is this strong leadership or is some one being a wibbly wobbly jelly?

Surely this has to be the fastest Tory U turn since Theresa May ditched the Dementia tax from the Tory manifesto the day after publishing it.

They may have a majority of 80, they may be in Government, but they aren’t in control

"

I think he made A right Decision, the first time for all his time as an pm.

Maybe this is result of his cognitive improvement or maybe just a strategical step but result is good in any way. And I was glad that common sense and anti-discrimination won that day

XXX pic...
login to view

"Keir Starmer made a right fool of himself at PMQ's this week."

How???? Bending bj over????

I disagree he made a fool of himself but his inexperience did show and whoever prepared him for the occasion should be dismissed as he was completely unprepared. Up until this PMQs Starmer has looked a good speaker and I think he will compose himself for the next debate.

XXX pic...
login to view

"Keir Starmer made a right fool of himself at PMQ's this week.

I disagree he made a fool of himself but his inexperience did show and whoever prepared him for the occasion should be dismissed as he was completely unprepared. Up until this PMQs Starmer has looked a good speaker and I think he will compose himself for the next debate. "

As a sleeker in a classical way I haven’t seen any good or extraordinary abilities.

What I saw were facts, facts facts - all his questions was clear and based on fact - exactly what I like and how I see it should be...

Questions ‘when I can hug my loved’ is already annoying.

He asked direct questions, clear so it requires direct answer (what as all we know usually avoided or replaced with false info).

And he was right with his comments and explanations - clear and based on facts.

Of course for public and govt such type of communication is wrong and foolish... public and govt like more slogans... nothing else..

I like Starmer. I hope he is a successful leader for Labour as it might bring me back into the fold.

There was nothing wrong with his initial questions but that's where it ended. I'm guessing he was using a courtroom technique which didn't work in PMQs and he didn't have any good responses or follow up comments.

I'm sure he will improve and give Johnson a harder time. I hope so.

*ordic-knight By *ordic-knight   premium paying member (M) 2 weeks ago

I wouldn't go as far as saying he made a right fool of himself but he looks very amateurish and unimpressive..

People said that Johnson would be in for a rough ride from Starmer, but so far---to quote Mrs Thatcher---it has been more like a ravaging from a dead sheep.

*en_dune By *en_dune   profile verified by photo (M) 2 weeks ago

lol, agreed

"Keir Starmer made a right fool of himself at PMQ's this week.

I wouldn't go as far as saying he made a right fool of himself but he looks very amateurish and unimpressive..

People said that Johnson would be in for a rough ride from Starmer, but so far---to quote Mrs Thatcher---it has been more like a ravaging from a dead sheep."

I think you'll Dennis Healy said of Geoffrey Howe it was like being ravished by a dead sheep. He also summed up Margaret Thatcher perfectly when he referred to her as “That Bloody Woman”.

I am afraid Bozo looks to have come off the worst in all the PMQ’s he’s taken part in with Sir Keir. I think he is very glad of the Whitsun break so he doesn’t have to face a better politician across the dispatch box for a couple of weeks.

Nice try though allocating a labour quote to Margaret Thatcher. More research needed me thinks

By *eros54  (M) 2 weeks ago

Did you watch PMQs Tessa? I dont think Johnson came off badly at all. Starmer stumbled when it came to a face to face debate with Johnson but I think he will do better next time.

"Did you watch PMQs Tessa? I dont think Johnson came off badly at all. Starmer stumbled when it came to a face to face debate with Johnson but I think he will do better next time."

Yes, I did. and I think you are wrong. I have spoken to several people since the last PMQ’s and almost everyone says Bozo looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

Every time Starmer asked him a question he dodges it. He seems lost without his baying cheer leaders behind him. No wonder JRM is desperate to get MP’s back in the chamber. Bozo is drowning with out them. Every desperate breath he takes costs them more and more votes

I'm surprised anyone described Johnson in that way. He certainly came out the better of the two on this last occasion. I preferred the quieter atmosphere.

XXX pic...
login to view

"I'm surprised anyone described Johnson in that way. He certainly came out the better of the two on this last occasion. I preferred the quieter atmosphere. "

Not agree, in both cases he was painful to watch... struggled a lot, he doesn’t like facts and doesn’t like questions required clear answer. This is the reason why he changes his words and acts afterwards.

My perception.

"

I think you'll Dennis Healy said of Geoffrey Howe it was like being ravished by a dead sheep. He also summed up Margaret Thatcher perfectly when he referred to her as “That Bloody Woman”.

"

You may well be right about Dennis Healy who had a sharp wit. Something rarely seen in his party since.

However I don't think Boris has anything to worry about from Sir Keir. His performance has been lacklustre to say the least. He reads his questions in his usual boring, monotone fashion and never once looks his opponent in the eye. Still very much the barrister in the courtroom and anything but an inspiring politician.

*astkenter By *astkenter  (M) 2 weeks ago

That is part of the problem these days. People wish politicians to be showmen/women putting on a performance. It seems they want showmanship over substance. From what I have seen Starmer is serious and has a good focus on detail (substance) whereas Bozo is pure showman who blusters but has no substance. He clearly misses his captive audience of admirers - hence his habit of turning to the side when he speaks, awaiting the reaction from his fawning minions. I thought he was a good host on HIGNFY where his buffoonery stood him in good stead, but he is out of his depth in a crisis that requires a serious approach.

"

You may well be right about Dennis Healy who had a sharp wit. Something rarely seen in his party since.

However I don't think Boris has anything to worry about from Sir Keir. His performance has been lacklustre to say the least. He reads his questions in his usual boring, monotone fashion and never once looks his opponent in the eye. Still very much the barrister in the courtroom and anything but an inspiring politician."

So you were wrong then. No doubt you are wrong about Bozo too

"

However I don't think Boris has anything to worry about from Sir Keir. His performance has been lacklustre to say the least. He reads his questions in his usual boring, monotone fashion and never once looks his opponent in the eye. Still very much the barrister in the courtroom and anything but an inspiring politician.

So you were wrong then. No doubt you are wrong about Bozo too"

Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah. Grow up for heavens sake

"

So you were wrong then. No doubt you are wrong about Bozo too

Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah. Grow up for heavens sake"

Is growing up not pointing out you and your beloved Tories errors?

You claimed credit for a phrase used to try and show up the Labour leader. You credited the wrong person, who BTW wasn’t involved in the debate and you got it the wrong way around.

Like your beloved Conservative party, you were wrong. All I did was point out your error. No Nah Nah nah’s.

Move on Maybe one day some one from the Conservative Party will say something worth quoting

*ixtyniner By *ixtyniner  (M) 2 weeks ago

You said, I they're a bunch of two faced tossers. It doesn't mean they'll try other dirty tricks, so we have to be vigilant.

You said, I they're a bunch of two faced tossers. It doesn't mean they'll try other dirty tricks, so we have to be vigilant.

Politics will always be divisive and full of spin. Allegiances seem to be more about which party is supported and which one hated rather than anything the parties actually do in reality.

Yes. We should always be vigilant.

"Politics will always be divisive and full of spin. Allegiances seem to be more about which party is supported and which one hated rather than anything the parties actually do in reality.

Yes. We should always be vigilant. "

That’s not necessarily true. I am not a true-blue Tory never have been, although I have voted for them in the past but that has been down to the candidate.

I have complimented some of the things they have done particularly during this crisis. Their dear leader however is another matter. We are told he’s the great showman, we are told he’s a great delegator, we are told he knows how to build a team. Well he’s letting the country down. Him personally. You can’t miss him. He’s the guy who said there wouldn’t be customs barriers within the United Kingdom, but he’s building them. He’s the guy who at the height of the crisis get’s himself onto a private ward in St Thomas’. But makes such a miraculous recovery he’s only in for 3 days. Then he recovers at Chequers the rest of us are not allowed to our second home but he is. The Scottish CMO had to resign because she went to hers.

Then he comes back and misses out on the first PMQ’s because his S.O. had a baby but he’s not taking paternity leave. He can’t answer a straight question and he’s conspicuous by his absence.

The guy is a waste of time and a disgrace to Conservative leaders who came before him. For a Conservative and Unionist leader he’s doing more to get me a Scottish passport than even Nicola Sturgeon and that’s his only redeeming feature

Tessa. In your case it's just one monotonous diatribe after another against a politician you obviously dont like.

There are many politicians I detest but I dont post dozens of similar posts criticising everything they do.

"Tessa. In your case it's just one monotonous diatribe after another against a politician you obviously dont like.

There are many politicians I detest but I dont post dozens of similar posts criticising everything they do."

Convince me otherwise

Not sure your brain could cope with the influx of data

XXX pic...
login to view

"Not sure your brain could cope with the influx of data"

It is a very offensive comment.

"Not sure your brain could cope with the influx of data

It is a very offensive comment.

"

Superman means well. But his nurse is due in, as he requires his medication to keep him calm. We shouldn’t mock the afflicted or delusional

You're talking abnout yourself again

*essa_M By  *essa_M    profile verified by photo premium paying member (TV/TS/CD) 1 week ago

"You're talking abnout yourself again"

I may consider myself A Super Girl but I wouldn't want to take your title from you. After all you are Superman

Kisses

XXX pic...
login to view
By *nello  (M) 1 week ago

"You're talking abnout yourself again

I may consider myself A Super Girl but I wouldn't want to take your title from you. After all you are Superman

Kisses"

About superman I’m not sure. First part of the word - maybe, but defo not the second.

In any way I block offensive creatures....

*usansilkysubcd By *usansilkysubcd  (TV/TS/CD) 1 week ago

I wouldn’t say the government is running scared. They will be as strong as ever when this WORLDWIDE pandemic is over. And having seen Sir Kier in action they certainly have nothing to worry about. He seems so lame smarmy and about as ineffective as when he was head of the CPS and let all those paedophiles and Jimmy Saville off the hook. Maybe that’s what he got his knighthood for - services to paedophilia. Anyway the leftards who really run the Hindsight Party are calling for his head already because he isn’t left wing enough. You really couldn’t make it up. I give him 2 years tops before his party self-destructs. Again.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *iona_cduk  (TV/TS/CD) 1 week ago

"I wouldn’t say the government is running scared. They will be as strong as ever when this WORLDWIDE pandemic is over. And having seen Sir Kier in action they certainly have nothing to worry about. He seems so lame smarmy and about as ineffective as when he was head of the CPS and let all those paedophiles and Jimmy Saville off the hook. Maybe that’s what he got his knighthood for - services to paedophilia. Anyway the leftards who really run the Hindsight Party are calling for his head already because he isn’t left wing enough. You really couldn’t make it up. I give him 2 years tops before his party self-destructs. Again."

Spectacularly righter than right.

I only came in here to give Dominic Cummins a metaphorical (insert euphemism here) and I stumbled over a two party system haranguing and infighting much like the House of Commons!

I’m lost for words - 50p says Cummins will go in three days. That’s the dither room required to give Boris an exit strategy. It makes me chuckle how someone who is so clever (young Mr Cummins) has become so breathtakingly arrogant.

Discuss....

XXX pic...
login to view
By *iona_cduk  (TV/TS/CD) 1 week ago

"That is part of the problem these days. People wish politicians to be showmen/women putting on a performance. It seems they want showmanship over substance. From what I have seen Starmer is serious and has a good focus on detail (substance) whereas Bozo is pure showman who blusters but has no substance. He clearly misses his captive audience of admirers - hence his habit of turning to the side when he speaks, awaiting the reaction from his fawning minions. I thought he was a good host on HIGNFY where his buffoonery stood him in good stead, but he is out of his depth in a crisis that requires a serious approach."

I’d say you’ve quite concisely hit the nail on the head.

Regardless of the angst in the thread(s) Sir Keir didn’t get there by luck and to give the other a chap his due he is a recognised polymath. But Boris looks shite in his recent interviews and you have to remember he’s been in intensive care very recently. He doesn’t look well even now.

Remember Churchill after the War, immediately voted out. I can see history repeating itself...

*astkenter By *astkenter  (M) 1 week ago

"I wouldn’t say the government is running scared. They will be as strong as ever when this WORLDWIDE pandemic is over. And having seen Sir Kier in action they certainly have nothing to worry about. He seems so lame smarmy and about as ineffective as when he was head of the CPS and let all those paedophiles and Jimmy Saville off the hook. Maybe that’s what he got his knighthood for - services to paedophilia. Anyway the leftards who really run the Hindsight Party are calling for his head already because he isn’t left wing enough. You really couldn’t make it up. I give him 2 years tops before his party self-destructs. Again.Spectacularly righter than right.

I only came in here to give Dominic Cummins a metaphorical (insert euphemism here) and I stumbled over a two party system haranguing and infighting much like the House of Commons!

I’m lost for words - 50p says Cummins will go in three days. That’s the dither room required to give Boris an exit strategy. It makes me chuckle how someone who is so clever (young Mr Cummins) has become so breathtakingly arrogant.

Discuss...."

There is certainly irony in Cummings' situation. He breezed in saying he was going to give the elite a metaphorical shake-up. Now he has become part of the establishment he disparaged and is taking full advantage of what that has to offer - acting arrogantly and retaining the full support of the elite of which he has become part. And he is intelligent enough to know exactly what he is doing - he has played the likes of Bozo like a good 'un.

By *eros54  (M) 1 week ago

"That is part of the problem these days. People wish politicians to be showmen/women putting on a performance. It seems they want showmanship over substance. From what I have seen Starmer is serious and has a good focus on detail (substance) whereas Bozo is pure showman who blusters but has no substance. He clearly misses his captive audience of admirers - hence his habit of turning to the side when he speaks, awaiting the reaction from his fawning minions. I thought he was a good host on HIGNFY where his buffoonery stood him in good stead, but he is out of his depth in a crisis that requires a serious approach.I’d say you’ve quite concisely hit the nail on the head.

Regardless of the angst in the thread(s) Sir Keir didn’t get there by luck and to give the other a chap his due he is a recognised polymath. But Boris looks shite in his recent interviews and you have to remember he’s been in intensive care very recently. He doesn’t look well even now.

Remember Churchill after the War, immediately voted out. I can see history repeating itself..."

Cummings has a thread on here dedicated totally to guessing and gossiping about hos trip lol.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *oondog   profile verified by photo (M) 1 week ago

I don't think we are looking for a new government right now, just the existing one to do the right things.

I'm hoping Kier Starmer will use this period to prepare a competent team and have a good stab at winning the next election.

I think there are lots of disillusioned new and old Tories looking for an alternative and a centre left labour party capable of winning will be just the ticket once this is over.

There'll be lots to sort out not just the aftermath of the rona but the mess that will be made of Brexit.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *cousedpw   profile verified by photo (M) 1 week ago

"I don't think we are looking for a new government right now, just the existing one to do the right things.

I'm hoping Kier Starmer will use this period to prepare a competent team and have a good stab at winning the next election.

I think there are lots of disillusioned new and old Tories looking for an alternative and a centre left labour party capable of winning will be just the ticket once this is over.

There'll be lots to sort out not just the aftermath of the rona but the mess that will be made of Brexit."

If Kier Starmer is intelligent he will use the time to ease out the hard left and Momentum, get a team of delectable politicians.

*ordic-knight By *ordic-knight   premium paying member (M) 1 week ago

Anyone who thinks the government is about to fall must be extremely politically naïve. They won a very decisive election victory less than 6 months ago and we probably wont be getting another general election until the autumn of 2024. By then Cummings will either be exonerated or a distant memory.

Seem to remember a similar situation with Blair when his Svengali/Mephistopheles. Mandelson was exposed for various misdemeanours. Some predicted it would be his downfall but he still went on to win another election.

As for Sir Keir well no one knows what he even stands for. Touted as the new Blair but is he. Certainly lacks the charisma and he carries quite a bit of unsavoury baggage from his legal days. He was also very much in the forefront, during the last election campaign, as the proponent of the Marxist Corbyn agenda. Has the leopard changed his spots so quickly?

XXX pic...
login to view
By  *ebelatsea    profile verified by photo premium paying member (M) 1 week ago

It's timely to remember:

Politician == Professional Liar.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *nello  (M) 1 week ago

"Anyone who thinks the government is about to fall must be extremely politically naïve. They won a very decisive election victory less than 6 months ago and we probably wont be getting another general election until the autumn of 2024. By then Cummings will either be exonerated or a distant memory.

Seem to remember a similar situation with Blair when his Svengali/Mephistopheles. Mandelson was exposed for various misdemeanours. Some predicted it would be his downfall but he still went on to win another election.

As for Sir Keir well no one knows what he even stands for. Touted as the new Blair but is he. Certainly lacks the charisma and he carries quite a bit of unsavoury baggage from his legal days. He was also very much in the forefront, during the last election campaign, as the proponent of the Marxist Corbyn agenda. Has the leopard changed his spots so quickly? "

No matter who will win, if we survive. The most important they do not do herd immunity strategy and people don’t die.

*orum reader By *orum reader  (M) 1 week ago

"Anyone who thinks the government is about to fall must be extremely politically naïve. They won a very decisive election victory less than 6 months ago and we probably wont be getting another general election until the autumn of 2024. By then Cummings will either be exonerated or a distant memory.

As for Sir Keir well no one knows what he even stands for. Touted as the new Blair but is he. Certainly lacks the charisma and he carries quite a bit of unsavoury baggage from his legal days. He was also very much in the forefront, during the last election campaign, as the proponent of the Marxist Corbyn agenda. Has the leopard changed his spots so quickly? "

I would be extremely surprised if this situation were to bring down the government,but I do feel questions need answers so the fact that Dominic Cummings is to make a statement and answer questions hopefully he can answer all the questions that will come his way so I for one will not pass any comment on his actions until after his appearance

XXX pic...
login to view
By *oondog   profile verified by photo (M) 1 week ago

I don't think the government will fall right now.

I don't think they will be re-elected though.

That gives some breathing space.

*essa_M By  *essa_M    profile verified by photo premium paying member (TV/TS/CD) 1 week ago

"I don't think the government will fall right now.

That gives some breathing space."

There is nothing quite like a Tory MP who believes his or her snout is going to be prised out of the trough because of someone else behaviour

By *eros54  (M) 1 week ago

you could be right but now Labour have a promising leader maybe that's not such a bad thing/

*ordic-knight By *ordic-knight   premium paying member (M) 1 week ago

There is nothing quite like a Tory MP who believes his or her snout is going to be prised out of the trough because of someone else behaviour"

That is true of MPs of all parties whether you like it or not.

There is nothing quite like a Tory MP who believes his or her snout is going to be prised out of the trough because of someone else behaviour

That is true of MPs of all parties whether you like it or not."

Getting all their snouts out of the trough is no bad thing. Frankly I would clamp down on all their little perks. I wouldn’t give a rats a*** which Party was denied a feed at the trough.

My comment about Tory’s losing their ability to feed was simply based on experience. Labour will turn on their leaders as will Lib Dems and I suppose any other political party will. However, the Tories make backstabbing an art form. From the men and Ladies in grey suits, the Party Chairman’s parties and banging of desks or lack thereof. The Tories are absolutely ruthless when it comes to making sure someone is elevated to the other house.

I like it, frankly all MP’s of all parties need to watch this situation and the public mood. I don’t care if it’s the Stephen Kinnocks of the Robert Jenricks they have to eventually come back to the electors sooner or later. People won’t forget missing family and friends’ funerals. They won’t forget saying goodbye by iPhone when they couldn’t pop round. Grandparents who have followed the rules will surely consider who they vote for when they have been denied access to grandkids when others haven’t.

So, my dear Mr Nordic-Knight I wasn’t really having a go at your beloved Tories. I was in effect complimenting them on their ruthless streak. Sorry if that a conundrum that is too adult for you to take in.

*usansilkysubcd By *usansilkysubcd  (TV/TS/CD) 1 week ago

The government won’t fall because one guy who isn’t even an MP drove to Durham. Alistair Campbell did allsorts when he was Blair’s main advisor, including instigating a fake war that lost hundreds of thousands of lives and bankrupting they country. Labour got away with it. Sort of puts this into perspective. They will also be re-elected next time, maybe with not as big a majority but still, they do have 80 seats to play with. I can’t see Sir Kier having much of an impact, he hasn’t so far. Apart from make Corbyn seem interesting and relevant.

*etropolis By *etropolis   profile verified by photo (M) 1 week ago

I agree. There is not likely to be an alternative for some time. Keir Starmer is proving to be a wet blanket.

Add a new message to this topic