New here? Register in under one minute   Already a member? Login364503 members (6 yesterday), private messages

cottaging.co.uk > Forums > Politics > Brexit the aftermath

See newest message in thread

Brexit the aftermath

*essa_M By  *essa_M    profile verified by photo premium paying member (TV/TS/CD) 7 weeks ago

@private mail, +add as contact

Now that we are out of the EU. It looks like British fish products are rotting at the borders. Delivery companies have decided that the UK is not worth the trouble to reach and DPD have decide not to deliver to Europe.

Michael Gove warns us of Substantial disruption at the ports due next week. Shops in Northern Ireland are running short of goods. Was it all worth it to get a French made Black passport?

I suppose you have to look on the bright side of life https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9128341/Prime-Ministers-Jaguar-replaced-German-BMW-Mercedes.html Bozo may have to change his car to a BMW. I’m sure the Germans will welcome the extra business

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

XXX pic...
login to view
By *nello  (M) 7 weeks ago

"Now that we are out of the EU. It looks like British fish products are rotting at the borders. Delivery companies have decided that the UK is not worth the trouble to reach and DPD have decide not to deliver to Europe.

Michael Gove warns us of Substantial disruption at the ports due next week. Shops in Northern Ireland are running short of goods. Was it all worth it to get a French made Black passport?

I suppose you have to look on the bright side of life https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9128341/Prime-Ministers-Jaguar-replaced-German-BMW-Mercedes.html Bozo may have to change his car to a BMW. I’m sure the Germans will welcome the extra business

"

Yes, we are not ready for bxit, so not only businesses moving goods are distributed but also deliverers, fishing, services, education etc.

If gov will work very hard then in 1-2 years it theoretically may be better

By *itswellin  (M) 7 weeks ago

I notice a lot of items going up in price in some shops.

*essa_M By  *essa_M    profile verified by photo premium paying member (TV/TS/CD) 7 weeks ago

"I notice a lot of items going up in price in some shops."

Lots of salad and fruit stuff missing from the shelves of Asda this afternoon.

It may be just they hadn’t restocked the shelves, but the supermarket was relatively quiet and they seemed to be restocking the other shelves as normal.

I never really noticed any unusual price increases yet, but before Christmas loads of things seemed to be going up a few pence here and there. I maybe they were building a surplus

*oredEric By *oredEric   profile verified by photo (M) 7 weeks ago

Even if prices aren’t going up the supermarkets will use it as an excuse to put up prices. Rip off Britain is a fact of life. Any excuse they’re given, they’ll grasp it with both hands.

XXX pic...
login to view

"I notice a lot of items going up in price in some shops."

Yes, as expected. Additional paperwork creates additional expenses for companies + time for delivery increases... so these all + possible fees create increase if prices but not salaries or income....

XXX pic...
login to view

"Even if prices aren’t going up the supermarkets will use it as an excuse to put up prices. Rip off Britain is a fact of life. Any excuse they’re given, they’ll grasp it with both hands."

Of course, clever people will try make money with everything what is possible....

*oredEric By *oredEric   profile verified by photo (M) 6 weeks ago

"Even if prices aren’t going up the supermarkets will use it as an excuse to put up prices. Rip off Britain is a fact of life. Any excuse they’re given, they’ll grasp it with both hands.

Of course, clever people will try make money with everything what is possible...."

That’s not clever, it’s price gouging.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *cousedpw   profile verified by photo (M) 6 weeks ago

"Even if prices aren’t going up the supermarkets will use it as an excuse to put up prices. Rip off Britain is a fact of life. Any excuse they’re given, they’ll grasp it with both hands."

You should really look at a price comparison/wage comparison from 10,20 and 30 years ago. Then tell me that prices have risen.

*ordic-knight By *ordic-knight   premium paying member (M) 6 weeks ago

I don't think anyone--apart from Farage and his adoring acolytes--thought everything was going to be wonderful after Brexit. Prices have a nasty habit of creeping up at the best of times. A major 'shift' can be an excuse to put prices up. Although quite young I do remember people complaining about price rises after decimalization in '71 and when when we joined the EEC two years later. I also remember that prior to joining salad vegetables were very rare during the winter months and, even now, they are pretty tasteless and don't keep well out of season.

*essa_M By  *essa_M    profile verified by photo premium paying member (TV/TS/CD) 6 weeks ago

"I don't think anyone--apart from Farage and his adoring acolytes--thought everything was going to be wonderful after Brexit. Prices have a nasty habit of creeping up at the best of times. A major 'shift' can be an excuse to put prices up. Although quite young I do remember people complaining about price rises after decimalization in '71 and when when we joined the EEC two years later. I also remember that prior to joining salad vegetables were very rare during the winter months and, even now, they are pretty tasteless and don't keep well out of season."

I don’t know so much about tasteless.

For instance, yesterday, we bought Tomatoes (origin Spain). Grapes (origin Chile) Apples Origin (Spain) Lettuce (origin Portugal), potatoes (origin Perthshire in Scotland) I’ve never really worried about food miles. Bedfordshire is known for its onion crops but it is not well advertised. We haven’t tried the potatoes we bought yesterday yet. But the salad and fruit were all pretty tasty. Now admittedly we probably didn’t buy the cheapest Tomatoes, but with the grapes we didn’t have a choice on where they came from.

Up to now it perhaps wasn’t unusual for crops to be harvested on the Tuesday arrive in the UK on the Wednesday and be on sale by Thursday. That was the benefit of the free market without borders. Our sea fishermen have a live crop that dies pretty quickly if it is not got to market on time. Loads of paperwork to fill out and the entire crop to check before it gets to its markets. Does not bode well, and there have already been reported issues.

This week coming it is estimated cross channel traffic will return to normal. If we expect to take back control of our borders, how can we not reasonably expect the EU nations not to do the same. I certainly am not about to scaremonger. I was just pointing out locally to us there seemed to be issues with some goods.

By *etssee5  (M) 6 weeks ago

Carrier bags.

To save the planet.

They were thin and 5p.

Now they're thicker, more plastic content, and 10p.

Called bag for life, which essentially means you buy one for 10p n when it gets old n tatty you swap it n they dispose of it environmentally.

Great idea, looks fucking excellent 'on paper' (dont actually kill a tree to find out), so why they always ask if want a bag even if just one item you could carry instead of the bag with the item in? Yes, for the 10p, that's why.

If you're serving 30 million people a day and half of them give you 10p, a quarter of them give you 20p, and so on, that's a lot of add ons.

Nothing to do with saving a planet.

What about all those carrier bags blowing around the pyramids and other places people dump all their shit? Did they all cost 10p and end up there?

"Now that we are out of the EU. It looks like British fish products are rotting at the borders. Delivery companies have decided that the UK is not worth the trouble to reach and DPD have decide not to deliver to Europe.

Yes, we are not ready for bxit, so not only businesses moving goods are distributed but also deliverers, fishing, services, education etc.

If gov will work very hard then in 1-2 years it theoretically may be better "

4 years and still not ready.

Covids only been here since march, apparently, we are totally fucked

"Even if prices aren’t going up the supermarkets will use it as an excuse to put up prices. Rip off Britain is a fact of life. Any excuse they’re given, they’ll grasp it with both hands.

Of course, clever people will try make money with everything what is possible...."

The grabbing cunts are easy to spot, they're annoying though when talk like they're doing it for the nation, the people, the NHS, and her majesty the queen.

Grabbing cunts

You should really look at a price comparison/wage comparison from 10,20 and 30 years ago. Then tell me that prices have risen."

8 cans of lager for a 5er.

Prices have gone up.

If they haven't, quantity has gone down.

*essa_M By  *essa_M    profile verified by photo premium paying member (TV/TS/CD) 6 weeks ago

You couldn’t make it up.

Not only are fish catches going straight to landfill. So much for that holding out for a fishing deal. You would have thought the fishing minister would have read the appropriate part of the agreement before signing it off.

Apparently now Sovereign Britain is funding the EU Army proposal, as part of our Brexit deal freely entered into by Bozo and Co https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1383994/brexit-news-eu-army-boris-johnson-brexit-deal-european-defence-fund-horizon

Biden has already warned them off invoking Article 16 of the Northern Ireland Protocol. Which they may have to do to get stuff on the Northern Irish shelves. Four years of negotiation and they still don’t know what they signed us up to.

Never mind Tessa. I's given you something to whinge about and you've been a bit quiet for the last few days

"Never mind Tessa. I's given you something to whinge about and you've been a bit quiet for the last few days"

Not whinging my dear, just laughing at the ineptitude of Bozo and Co. All that sovereignty and having to pay for an EU army. You honestly don’t believe that was what you Brextreemists voted for do you?

Did ya miss me honey, sorry even in lock down the bloody work won’t go away. I think it’s the Scottishness in me never miss the chance to make a buck or a pound, never mind a euro.

*tephanie_cd By *tephanie_cd   profile verified by photo (TV/TS/CD) 6 weeks ago

Albert Einstein famously said

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

It is as appropriate today as when he said it.

I'm not giving an opinion here as I don't want to be constantly defending a man of whom I am not a great fan but do think better than some of his opponents.

Washington DC is currently awash with military personal and will be until after Wednesday's inaugural celebrations. Whether they are National Guard or Federal Troops I cannot say.

I watched a TV programme late one night this week about the Jan.6th 'invasion' of the Capitol. Never saw anyone wearing fascist T-shirts unless you regard pro Trump slogans as fascist. Daresay some hard lefters might.

I not someone--perhaps others as well--questioned Trumps intelligence. He may tell some downright lies as indeed most politicians do. He may have delusions of his own popularity and importance, yet another trait that seems to go with the territory of being a politician. But he is an outstandingly clever and astute man. How else did he manage to become a multi-billionaire and rise to be the position of being president of the mightiest country of the western world? He neither inherited his fortune or his position.

Whoops. Think I may have somehow managed to put that in the wrong thread

XXX pic...
login to view
By *deviantx-   profile verified by photo (M) 6 weeks ago

"Carrier bags.

To save the planet.

They were thin and 5p.

Now they're thicker, more plastic content, and 10p.

Called bag for life, which essentially means you buy one for 10p n when it gets old n tatty you swap it n they dispose of it environmentally.

Great idea, looks fucking excellent 'on paper' (dont actually kill a tree to find out), so why they always ask if want a bag even if just one item you could carry instead of the bag with the item in? Yes, for the 10p, that's why.

If you're serving 30 million people a day and half of them give you 10p, a quarter of them give you 20p, and so on, that's a lot of add ons.

Nothing to do with saving a planet.

What about all those carrier bags blowing around the pyramids and other places people dump all their shit? Did they all cost 10p and end up there?

"

On the upside with the right post-Brexit know-how imports of Chinese disposable face masks shouldn't prevent the UK from easily matching EU counterpart contributions to the new #1 global environmental pollutant.

*essa_M By  *essa_M    profile verified by photo premium paying member (TV/TS/CD) 5 weeks ago

Looks like its not just the fishing and shell fish industry’s that are up in arms. The meat production industry doesn’t seem to like the Brexit deal either. https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-landowners-warn-of-lamb-surplus-after-no-deal-brexit/

As they were all supporters of Brexit. Do they have regrets now?

I suppose as a Scot I should really be thanking Bozo and Co. the worst Brexit is the sooner I become a Ex Brit.

Go for it Bozo

XXX pic...
login to view
By *ollydee   premium paying member (M) 5 weeks ago

When it sinks in just how bad his GREAT deal is I think there are going to be some very pissed off people, couldn't happen to a nicer liar.

XXX pic...
login to view
By *eicester51  (M) 5 weeks ago

The French are not helping. They are making it difficult for UK drivers and charging them for the 'wrong' paperwork.

This side all correct French side incorrect.

*essa_M By  *essa_M    profile verified by photo premium paying member (TV/TS/CD) 5 weeks ago

I think you’ll find that the French border control is only implementing the arrangement that the EU came to in good faith with the UK.

I mean we choose to leave the club. We then took out a deal on using the facilities of the club. Then we don’t understand why the owners of the club expect us to stick by the deal we came to.

Is that why all those EU based haulers are not putting the sovereign UK on their distribution list. Too much trouble with all the rules the UK invented.

Looks like Welsh lamb exporters are likely to shed jobs because of Brexit. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-55719498

Are we sure it is such a good deal. A pity the so-called deal did not include services. It seems New York is reaping the benefits of our lack of passporting facilities.

I suppose it should be OK now that the NHS should have received 3 payments of that extra £350 million. So a bit of disruption but the NHS got an extra Billion plus and climbing. Or did it?

XXX pic...
login to view
By *cousedpw   profile verified by photo (M) 5 weeks ago

"Looks like Welsh lamb exporters are likely to shed jobs because of Brexit. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-55719498

Are we sure it is such a good deal. A pity the so-called deal did not include services. It seems New York is reaping the benefits of our lack of passporting facilities.

I suppose it should be OK now that the NHS should have received 3 payments of that extra £350 million. So a bit of disruption but the NHS got an extra Billion plus and climbing. Or did it?

"

Why for once don't you suggest what should be done to improve things? We have left, I didn't vote for it, but it's a fact of life. Instead of your continuous sniping, make a positive contribution or shut the fu** up!!!

"

Why for once don't you suggest what should be done to improve things? We have left, I didn't vote for it, but it's a fact of life. Instead of your continuous sniping, make a positive contribution or shut the fu** up!!!"

Oh no you misunderstand. I have got with the program. I took the relevant actions to protect my business. I fully accept we have left the EU. Also living in a democracy, I have the right to say where I think things are wrong.

This greatest deal ever has proven its self to be the biggest shower of shit bestowed on this country by a bunch of liars who had ulterior motives. Who shorted the pound and hoped for the ability to make a fortune speculating on the currency.

This great deal did not include services of which 80% of our economy is based resulting on over 2 Trillion pounds worth of assets leaving the city of London for such exotic places ae Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Dublin and New York. Over 17,000 jobs based in the City of London have already relocated or are in the process of doing so. That worked well. I wonder where those tax revenues are going to come from now.

I suppose things are going to be OK after all our fish are happy to be British. The mere fact we don’t eat them nor can we sell them matters not a jot to those businesses that are soon to cease to exist. Now it looks like farmers are having difficulty selling their meat products. Oh dear Didn’t the majority of farmers support leaving the EU.

No matter Bozo gave us the Christmas present we wanted and deserved https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-boris-johnson-says-trade-deal-is-his-christmas-present-for-the-country-12172450 https://www.itv.com/news/2020-12-24/brexit-deal-uk-and-eu-reach-agreement-on-trade-after-months-of-negotiations

Pointing out the failings of this shower of shit IS A POSITIVE CONTRIBUTION. If you don’t like it please tell us the good points. Please tell me how Brexit is going to make us all better off. Please tell me the NHS has received 3 payments of £350 million EXTRA since January the 1st. Oh and if its not too much trouble please tell me how this Government works for the best interests of the population of this country.

I’M WAITING or shut the F**k up

*ordic-knight By *ordic-knight   premium paying member (M) 5 weeks ago

No one, except for the easily led Faragist Fantasists, expected things to be perfect immediately after leaving the EU. Bound to be some hiccups and disruption along the way. Let's face it we are only three weeks into full Brexit, it's one of the worse times of the year with the post Christmas doldrums, and we are in the middle of a very serious pandemic.

What was written on the side of the big red battle bus was misleading if you read it quickly or were a bit thick like a lot of Faragists and socialist are. A lot of extra money is having to be spent on the NHS and other things at the moment so what we are not paying into the EU is probably coming in handy.

Sheep farming has fluctuated for years. It really hit rock bottom in the early '00s when a lot of lamb were being sold at a loss and sheep farmers were giving up right left and centre. Back in those 'halcyon days' were were still in the EU and had a Labour government. Lamb is not the popular meat it was once and has been expensive for years.

I've always described myself as a reluctant and somewhat skeptical Brexiteer but I am optimistic that things will improve and hopefully fairly soon.

*astkenter By *astkenter  (M) 5 weeks ago

"Looks like Welsh lamb exporters are likely to shed jobs because of Brexit. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-55719498

Why for once don't you suggest what should be done to improve things? We have left, I didn't vote for it, but it's a fact of life. Instead of your continuous sniping, make a positive contribution or shut the fu** up!!!"

You have no right to set a new forum rule of your own making. Being realistic about bad things that are happening is perfectly acceptable. If you want everyone to be a Polyanna, do point out the positives about the current situation for our delectation. You may find it difficult to persuade people in this area as we are suffering the negative fall-out directly. Bozo stating that all will be well in three days, weeks, months, years or decades doesn't cut the (Dijon) mustard. His credibility is zero.

Pot and kettles and an extremely dark colour spring to mind. I don't see anyone trying to make a new forum rules. Just someone getting a bit fed-up with all the negativity and nit-picking. I repeatedly have it suggested to me that I shouldn't post because someone doesn't agree with me or, even worse, I don't agree whole-heartedly with them. Admittedly they have not expressed in in such flowery terms as 'shut the fu** up'. Although someone did tell me to f*** off the other day [admittedly in German] but no one jumped to my defence. Talk about double standards.

By *eeksYounger  (M) 5 weeks ago

I am a senior partner in a Civil and Structural Engineering Partnership. Over the past 25 years we have nurured a relationship with a couple property developers in the Netherlands and France. We provided them with engineering services' 30% of our turnover came from that relationship. Since 2016 that percentage has reduced until today it is ZERO. They tell us that they would rather deal with Europeans, in this case, Polish engineers.

Two of our younger engineers have gone to work in the Netherlands and we have had to lay-off a further two. Thank you Brexiteers.

Fuck off!

"I am a senior partner in a Civil and Structural Engineering Partnership. Over the past 25 years we have nurured a relationship with a couple property developers in the Netherlands and France. We provided them with engineering services' 30% of our turnover came from that relationship. Since 2016 that percentage has reduced until today it is ZERO. They tell us that they would rather deal with Europeans, in this case, Polish engineers.

Two of our younger engineers have gone to work in the Netherlands and we have had to lay-off a further two. Thank you Brexiteers. "

So sorry to hear that. This is what the Brexiteers don't understand. Most of us live and work in the real world. Those of us lucky enough to own and manage businesses, have spent a lifetime building up relationships and contacts. With one sweep of a pen that all changes and cost go up, trading is more difficult and Jobs are lost.

All they seem to see is the halcyon days of empire and unicorn convoys.

One wonders how they are going to feel in 5 years’ time when they have turned what’s left of our country into a third world country

Perhaps one of the above comments should read UNCIVIL engineering........

"Perhaps one of the above comments should read UNCIVIL engineering........"

Dear oh Dear. You really can't help yourself can you.

It seems some cretinish neo-nasty has taken control of Nk's (Hee Haw) computer.

"No one, except for the easily led Faragist Fantasists, expected things to be perfect immediately after leaving the EU. Bound to be some hiccups and disruption along the way. Let's face it we are only three weeks into full Brexit, it's one of the worse times of the year with the post Christmas doldrums, and we are in the middle of a very serious pandemic.

What was written on the side of the big red battle bus was misleading if you read it quickly or were a bit thick like a lot of Faragists and socialist are. A lot of extra money is having to be spent on the NHS and other things at the moment so what we are not paying into the EU is probably coming in handy.

Sheep farming has fluctuated for years. It really hit rock bottom in the early '00s when a lot of lamb were being sold at a loss and sheep farmers were giving up right left and centre. Back in those 'halcyon days' were were still in the EU and had a Labour government. Lamb is not the popular meat it was once and has been expensive for years.

I've always described myself as a reluctant and somewhat skeptical Brexiteer but I am optimistic that things will improve and hopefully fairly soon. "

I guess Michael Gove is an easily led Faragist Fantasist. He after all told us the day after we vote to leave the EU we held all the cards https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/watch-remember-when-gove-promised-uk-would-hold-all-the-cards-after-brexit/16/10/

No mention of hiccups Just a land of milk, honey and Unicorns. Where we would have a deal better than the one we had as a member of the EU. Wasn’t that David Davis a Tory Brexit Secretary. I suppose another Faragist Fantasist.

What about Boris Johnston we pay £350 million a week to the EU lets spend it on the NHS instead, another fantasist no doubt.

They can increase the spending on the NHS all they want there is a pandemic out there in case you hadn’t noticed. They promised £350million a week EXTRA.

I am at a loss to see why you are dissing Welsh Lamb farmers after all they product they are TRYING to export 4 weeks ago was well priced provided them with a living and gave the exchequer a nice little earner. With a sweep of Bozo’s pen those rules were changed, and those lambs are rotting in a customs bay somewhere. It can’t possibly be the fault of the French government or the EU they after all are just implementing the rules agreed with the UK as a third nation. When the UK left the Union. I would have thought even the most reluctant Brexiter would have agreed with protecting their borders and ensuring that goods entering their field of control met the standards agreed and that the paperwork was in place

Lord Ashcoft, ex tory party chairman, who runs an outsourcing company, has been awarded a £350million contract by Bozo and Co. Cronyism or corruption?

I suggest you two get a room. You are both as daft as each other.

Wie kindiisch!

XXX pic...
login to view
By *emused   profile verified by photo (M) 5 weeks ago

I heard on TV today that Nissan are so happy with the Brexit deal that they have confrimed continuation and growth of the Sunderland factory and are about to build and open a new automotive battery plant in the UK to supply future EVs for Europe.

Not the kind of news the prophets of doom and gloom want to haer no doubt?

"I heard on TV today that Nissan are so happy with the Brexit deal that they have confrimed continuation and growth of the Sunderland factory and are about to build and open a new automotive battery plant in the UK to supply future EVs for Europe.

Not the kind of news the prophets of doom and gloom want to haer no doubt?"

Always happy to hear good news especially when it gains more jobs. Think I read the same article. I think their new battery facility is to stop holdups at the border, after all most car plants work on a just in time basis. Not sure they are suppling anywhere else like the European mainland, but happy to be corrected.

How many of these plants will we need to make up for the job losses and skillset losses of the last 4 and a half years

"Wie kindiisch!"

Ja,sie bist es. Extrem kindisch

"I heard on TV today that Nissan are so happy with the Brexit deal that they have confrimed continuation and growth of the Sunderland factory and are about to build and open a new automotive battery plant in the UK to supply future EVs for Europe.

Not the kind of news the prophets of doom and gloom want to haer no doubt?"

Quite correct the doom merchants wont like that at all.

Quite correct the doom merchants wont like that at all."

Yawn. I smell tory spin

Yawn. I smell tory spin"

Fascinating. I it like one of those scented oils that help you relax and help you drift off into sleep?

XXX pic...
login to view

" Yawn. I smell tory spin"

Makes a change from looney left lies and biased bullshit from those who just love to be negative because they didn't get their own way.

Get over it. Get over yourselves.

We are where we are, right or wrong so instead o9f constant whingeing why not get on with imaking it work - if Nissan can so can you.

*astkenter By *astkenter  (M) 5 weeks ago

Yawn. I smell tory spin"

Yes, it has a distinct odour, rather like something well past its sell-by date.

XXX pic...
login to view

So how many of you theoretical patriots own and run vehicles made in the UK - maybe a Nissan or a Toyota - for those of us who can't justify the cost of an Indian JLR, or a German RR or Bentley?

Personally I might have bought an MG, or maybe a Volvo, but after the Chinese so avoidably gifted Covid to the world I am off buying anything Chinese where I can avoid it.

"So how many of you theoretical patriots own and run vehicles made in the UK - maybe a Nissan or a Toyota - for those of us who can't justify the cost of an Indian JLR, or a German RR or Bentley?

Personally I might have bought an MG, or maybe a Volvo, but after the Chinese so avoidably gifted Covid to the world I am off buying anything Chinese where I can avoid it."

Have a nice little Peugeot. Made in France (by the makers of IBC vehicles and Vauxhall) and the British Government only charge me £20 a year road fund duty. Of course, it was made in the EU when we where part of it so buying local.

I’ll leave pretend Patriotism to the Trumpian’s and Bozo worshipers

Had a nice curry tonight hope that doesn't send your blood pressure soaring, and there’s me no vaccine yet. I do like to live on the edge

"

Yawn. I smell tory spin

Yes, it has a distinct odour, rather like something well past its sell-by date."

Certainly a lot sweeter than the one coming from the left wing. That it the stench of stagnation and decay.

"So how many of you theoretical patriots own and run vehicles made in the UK - maybe a Nissan or a Toyota - for those of us who can't justify the cost of an Indian JLR, or a German RR or Bentley?

Personally I might have bought an MG, or maybe a Volvo, but after the Chinese so avoidably gifted Covid to the world I am off buying anything Chinese where I can avoid it.

Have a nice little Peugeot. Made in France (by the makers of IBC vehicles and Vauxhall) and the British Government only charge me £20 a year road fund duty. Of course, it was made in the EU when we where part of it so buying local.

Had a nice curry tonight hope that doesn't send your blood pressure soaring, and there’s me no vaccine yet. I do like to live on the edge"

I also drive a Peugeot. Think its the 3rd one of that make that I have owned. Also had several Citroen and at least two Renaults, VWs, Saabs, Fiats, Nissans and even a Seat.

Foodwise can't stand Indian food but okay with Chinese but not had one for years. Could live on Italian food.

Patriotism is a funny thing. The English get sneered at for being patriotic yet it seems to be okay for the Scots and Welsh. Just an observation.

Had a nice curry tonight hope that doesn't send your blood pressure soaring, and there’s me no vaccine yet. I do like to live on the edge

I also drive a Peugeot. Think its the 3rd one of that make that I have owned. Also had several Citroen and at least two Renaults, VWs, Saabs, Fiats, Nissans and even a Seat.

Foodwise can't stand Indian food but okay with Chinese but not had one for years. Could live on Italian food.

Patriotism is a funny thing. The English get sneered at for being patriotic yet it seems to be okay for the Scots and Welsh. Just an observation.

"

That may be because the Scots and the Welsh haven’t let their flags be appropriated by the far right. Just an observation. More and more the Union Flag seems to be going that way too. I suppose as the Union isn’t going to last much longer that’s a problem that will go away of its own accord.

I wonder though if you are confusing patriotism with supposed superiority. Most Scots I know consider themselves Scots, British and European in that order. Although in recent years a lot of then seem to be dropping the middle designation. A substantial amount of English people considers themselves English only, and when referring to Britain they mean England. Those also consider their god given right to rule the world by empire and that every one else is too small to go it alone. Also, should those bloody foreigners get uppity just park a gun boat off their capital. Although such behaviour and attitudes are from the past. Many of the Make England Great Again movement dream of those heady days

There is a lot of waving of the Scottish and Welsh flags at their respective nationalist rallies. Because these nationalist parties are no longer far right that somehow seems acceptable. Very unfortunate that the Union Flag and the St George's Flag have become associated with right wing extremism. Hence those nasty remarks made by that arch-snob and champagne-socialist, Thornberry, about a football fan flying his national flag.

Of the four partners in the UK England is by far the biggest in both land area and population so it is always going to be predominant. Doesn't mean the others have been left out. We've had Scottish, Welsh and Irish prime ministers, cabinet ministers and leaders of various parties in parliament.

It was always a British Empire and not an exclusively English one. Indeed the Scots were amongst the biggest empire builders of them all. You also cannot get away from the fact that English---itself a hybrid language--is the spoken language of all four nations and versions of it are spoken throughout the world.

The 'Rule Britannia' and 'Make England Great Again' ideologies are very much tiny minority ones. Few people want to rule the world or exclude Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland when wanting to make Britain 'great' again.

XXX pic...
login to view

The thing is none of us know what the outcome of brexit will be. I don't like the Liar and his useless government but I hope that Britain booms again, lets stop sniping at one another over brexit, it has happened.

"The thing is none of us know what the outcome of brexit will be. I don't like the Liar and his useless government but I hope that Britain booms again, lets stop sniping at one another over brexit, it has happened."

I really don’t think anyone is sniping. There have been numerous questions asked about the so-called benefit of Brexit or that fabled Brexit Bonus. Both of which seem to be conspicuous by their absence. It’s certainly not sniping to ask where the land of milk and honey is. After all we were promised that “we held all the cards”,” that the day after we voted to leave the EU, they would realise they need us more than we need them”, that all that EXTRA money would be flooding into the NHS. That we would be a global trading power again.

When in reality none of the above happened and we can’t even get a box of fish or some Welsh Lamb to market. Some of us have been warning for years of the potential problems, it was called “Project Fear” well all we are saying (those of us who are accused of sniping) is where is the benefit? When are we going to be better off? When are food prices and deliveries going to return to normal? When are the 17 thousand jobs lost in the City of London going to be replaced?

Surly it’s not too much to ask why? Was it all worth it?

XXX pic...
login to view

It wasn't aimed at you Tessa, I know where you are coming from and you do have valid questions to ask. I know the Liar cant be trusted and his so called good deal is a crock of shit, I meant lets hope things do turn out to be what is promised, highly unlikely as many predict though. The Liar isn't worth bothering about, he will bring about his own downfall one way or another.

Add a new message to this topic